Do not rely on hosts for your education

Lulu

Re: Do not rely on hosts for your education

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
One time Dan was presenting 8mm stud earrings in stainless steel (3 pair for $9.99) and as he came to the blue pair he incredulously declared "these are natural blue spinel) - he again incredulously said "natural". Even he couldn't believe that they were selling natural blue spinel set in steel for $3.33. I defy you to find natural blue spinel anywhere in the world for that price. Add about 2 zeroes.
Dan gave more false information than anyone there. I couldnt stand him. Brash, boastful, name dropping. He thought he invented the home shopping industry and wanted everyone to know it. Ugh
I don't think Dan misrepresented product by his own volition. And, he did pretty much get in on the ground floor of the home shopping biz. That said, his on-air customer skills could have used a little polishing. :lol: Also, that gem book he wrote is pretty useless to me.
2 x

2Blonde

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

What really gets me is when they get out their light and shine it on the ruby saying, "Look at it floresse (sp)!" Well you can do the same thing with any stone that has lots of inclusions. It's the inclusions that cause the florescence.

I have some Burmese rubies that I purchased 20+ years ago, set in gold, and they have true beauty and fire.
2 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

2Blonde wrote:
4 years ago
What really gets me is when they get out their light and shine it on the ruby saying, "Look at it floresse (sp)!" Well you can do the same thing with any stone that has lots of inclusions. It's the inclusions that cause the florescence.

I have some Burmese rubies that I purchased 20+ years ago, set in gold, and they have true beauty and fire.
In Burmese rubies it is the chromium that causes it to fluoresce. So, they shine the light illustrating the chromium. The more chromium the brighter the red. It also indicates where the gem was sourced. If the ruby is colored by iron, the iron will mask some of the red fluorescence. I haven't noticed them using the light on the African rubies or Indian rubies. India has historically produced fine rubies; I don't know why all the Indian rubies I've seen are the equivalent of driveway gravel - dark, dark and opaque.
3 x

2Blonde

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
2Blonde wrote:
4 years ago

In Burmese rubies it is the chromium that causes it to fluoresce. So, they shine the light illustrating the chromium. The more chromium the brighter the red. It also indicates where the gem was sourced. If the ruby is colored by iron, the iron will mask some of the red fluorescence. I haven't noticed them using the light on the African rubies or Indian rubies. India has historically produced fine rubies; I don't know why all the Indian rubies I've seen are the equivalent of driveway gravel - dark, dark and opaque.
@Lulu I have seen them shine the light on some of the Niassa rubies as well and they also do it.
1 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Shawn and Adi are showing jadite bead necklaces. Of course a graphic pops up showing the ten rarest gems, jadite being one of them. What they fail to mention is that bleached, filled and dyed jadite doesnt have the same toughness or value as natural jadite. Its the equivalent of costume beads. If you buy it because you think its pretty thats fine but dont buy it because its Burmese, rare or an heirloom. Its not valuable. Its sold here because the Asian market doesnt want it.
3 x