ALL MY OPALS HAVE TURNED URINE YELLOW

sassygirl

ALL MY OPALS HAVE TURNED URINE YELLOW

Post by sassygirl » 4 years ago

They say opals turn yellow with moisture but arent opals consisted of mostly water.Every single one of mine has changed a disgusting shade of yellow yet some of the host say to wet them,other sights say to put baby oil on them.I am putting mine in rice to see because when I called tonight the guy told me its because of moisture.I keep the opals in the jewelry boxes that are sold on this site.Why sell them if they are a bad quality.I am certainly not the first person to have this happen so what do we do????Ive red countless people in this forum with the same problem and im beginning to think that we all cant be doing something wrong!!!It happens always after the 30 days.Im ready to start shopping other places and will pay more to have a better quality.I know now that you get what you pay for.!!!Delivering joy,,,,Mor elike delivering headache and heartbreak!!!! :x :x :x :roll: :roll:
1 x

SueB

Re: ALL MY OPALS HAVE TURNED URINE YELLOW

Post by SueB » 4 years ago

Someone said it’s because of the resin they stabilize the Ethiopian Opals with to go get stone recut. Sue I buy here so I don’t have to put any more money in the piece!? I won’t buy another Ethiopian opal. I already replaced all of my pieces and storing them in the little zip lock bags in my good non tarnish box so guess we’ll see in a few yrs if that helps
1 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

From what I’ve read online by jewelers
it’s that the discolored opal will stay that ugly
yellow color. Some said the discoloration is caused by
jewelers rouge (from buffing and polishing). It could also be from contaminates in the air or iron in your water. Most said the discoloration goes all the way through the Stone. The jewelers weren’t recommending recutting the stones either.
I remember messaging a host at one point because I wanted to know if the welo opals were doublets or triplets. I never got a response. If they made a triplet
sandwich with quartz on top and some type of backing (could be resin or say an onyx) the stones wouldn’t be turning colors.
I also was tempted to by a welo opal but what I saw on the screen was a yellowish tint on the opal and with the accent stones used it looked bad so I passed on purchasing. I had wanted a white opal with all those beautiful colors. I’m glad I passed on it. I feel for all of you who now have really ugly opals.
1 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

I purchased a very cute Welo opal butterfly ring from Shop LC about 2 years ago and wore it only once. After a short while in a jewelry box it turned to that nasty urine yellow color. I don’t want to throw it away so I am seriously considering to soak it in kool aid see if it will pick up the color. I’m sure it will remove the color display but maybe I’ll end up with a casual ring to wear.
1 x

NYCGirl

Post by NYCGirl » 4 years ago

That's a very vivid description of the color your opals turned! I'm sorry that happened. If you still shop with the company (or not) you may want to call customer service and let them know what happened. Just because it's a 30 day back guarantee, doesn't mean you can't call if your stone turned a nasty color in (only) a year-it's not like you bought it ten years ago. They still sell that stone and are responsible. Perhaps they can make it up to you in some way, credit, new stones, etc. Just a suggestion~ :)
0 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

i did contact customer service about my opals turning a nasty color. i called them and sent them a Facebook message. All were purchased a year or more ago so do not qualify for a refund or exchange. Customer service's response is to check out their education page for care of opals and to take them to a jeweler for help. There was no explanation as to why they yellowed in storage, or any offer for a refund or exchange. Reading other websites for information on welo opals shows what other customers on this blog are saying: the stones may have a stabilizing resin in them that yellowed, the stones may have absorbed yellowing contaminents , ect. it happens with this stone and it appears there is not much you can do about it. Maybe temperature and humidity play a role. Whatever the case you purchase welo opals at your own risk and don't expect Shop LC to help or replace them after 30 days because they will not.
2 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

Just as a precaution, I have never stored opals in the anti-tarnish boxes. Had bought an anti-tarnish ring box from ShopLC and some of the rings with gold accents and rose gold plating turned a nasty charcoal color. When I used a silver polishing cloth, the plating and accents came off. Ripped out the lining and put a plain foam pad in and that cured the problem. The little 3M anti-tarnish squares seem to be doing a good job, now.

Note: other anti-tarnish boxes have not caused any problems but still will not put porous stones in them.
1 x

Moderator_Preston
Answers: 1

Post by Moderator_Preston » 4 years ago

sassygirl wrote:
4 years ago
They say opals turn yellow with moisture but arent opals consisted of mostly water.Every single one of mine has changed a disgusting shade of yellow yet some of the host say to wet them,other sights say to put baby oil on them.I am putting mine in rice to see because when I called tonight the guy told me its because of moisture.I keep the opals in the jewelry boxes that are sold on this site.Why sell them if they are a bad quality.I am certainly not the first person to have this happen so what do we do????Ive red countless people in this forum with the same problem and im beginning to think that we all cant be doing something wrong!!!It happens always after the 30 days.Im ready to start shopping other places and will pay more to have a better quality.I know now that you get what you pay for.!!!Delivering joy,,,,Mor elike delivering headache and heartbreak!!!! :x :x :x :roll: :roll:
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your post. We deeply apologize that your Welo opal turned to a yellow color. In this case, you can see about getting your items replaced even if they are not within the 30 day return policy. You can contact customer service via chat at www.shoplc.com, via email at customerservice@shoplc.com, and via the phone at 877-899-0078 to get assistance in finding a suitable resolution. As another option, jewelers can recut your stone(s) to remove the discoloration. To prevent this in future, we recommend avoiding liquids (including water), exposure to extreme temperatures, liquid chemicals, ultrasonic cleaners/steamers, and manual labor with Welo opal items. We have already had another topic on this issue, and you find it at https://community.shoplc.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92. We will go ahead and lock this topic due that one already existing and we recommend keeping discussion about Welo opals changing color in that thread. Thank you so much for being a part of the Shop LC family!
1 x