Any grandidierite owners here?

Gemaholic

Any grandidierite owners here?

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

I know grandidierite is super rare and that is their main selling point for this stone, but the color does not appeal to me. Is it just the way it'a coming across on TV or is it a bland color in person as well? I like collecting rare stones, but for some reason the only thing I like about this stone is it's rarity. Would love to know if anyone as purchased any and what you think!
5 x

Gypsy

Re: Any grandidierite owners here?

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

I love the color because it reminds me of pretty seaglass . As long as the pieces dont have the dark inclusions the stones are very very pretty
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
I know grandidierite is super rare and that is their main selling point for this stone, but the color does not appeal to me. Is it just the way it'a coming across on TV or is it a bland color in person as well? I like collecting rare stones, but for some reason the only thing I like about this stone is it's rarity. Would love to know if anyone as purchased any and what you think!
I purchased two Grandidierite rings. First one, stones dark (for Grandidierite)--second one (floral cluster (stones did not match)...returned both & haven't ordered any others.
4 x

Ginger

Post by Ginger » 4 years ago

I don’t own any of this stone because what I’ve seen on here has many dark spots in there. They always compare their prices to the expensive one from the web they found. There’s no comparison for me because the one from the web isn’t included and is a beautiful color. I’ve noticed several items on the RA lately but I’ve not bought it due to the fact I can see the dark spots from my tv screen. I’ve not checked the other channels and their selections yet but I love gems and am a rock hound. I was going through my collection lately and have things I had forgotten about. I even found a box from ShopLC that’s a mint green, so pretty but it’s the only one and all the others are those blue ones. If you find nice stones somewhere else please let me know. I love learning about all I can about every gemstone but I don’t like ShopLC variety as of yet. Ginger
3 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Id actually like to see them do it in cabs to see if Id like it better. As it is now it doesnt appeal to me.
3 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

I have a 3 ct. and a 6 ct. both from another network, my smaller one is a deeper teal/bluish green and the larger is a sea foam green, both are very nice, I read the deeper color is more valuable. I ordered one from here and it was a 3 ct but much more money then what I paid for my 6 ct and it was not as nice so I sent it back, I think the ones they sell here are way over priced unless you can use a coupon and get a. deal and even then they are expensive.
2 x

LisaC2019

Post by LisaC2019 » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
I have ordered several Grandidierite pieces and out of the lot returned more than I kept...just too many issues with the stones. Most were scratched and looked worn while others had these black spots that would not come off. I am aware there are iron and magnesium components to the stones but those spots were not inside the stone but some type of coating on the outside.
4 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Ginger wrote:
4 years ago
I don’t own any of this stone because what I’ve seen on here has many dark spots in there. They always compare their prices to the expensive one from the web they found. There’s no comparison for me because the one from the web isn’t included and is a beautiful color. I’ve noticed several items on the RA lately but I’ve not bought it due to the fact I can see the dark spots from my tv screen. I’ve not checked the other channels and their selections yet but I love gems and am a rock hound. I was going through my collection lately and have things I had forgotten about. I even found a box from ShopLC that’s a mint green, so pretty but it’s the only one and all the others are those blue ones. If you find nice stones somewhere else please let me know. I love learning about all I can about every gemstone but I don’t like ShopLC variety as of yet. Ginger
[*] Ginger you’re a rock hound? Do you go hunting for rocks too?! I do that all the time here in Cali and I have bins and bins and bins of rocks I’ve found. We have a lot of gemstones out here like sapphires, rubies, zircon, and lapis! I just need to find a gem cutter lol.

Yeah, I’m not sold on the grandidierite on SLC. The color just looks so so. My mom said she got a piece and wasn’t crazy about it. It’s a shame though because I love collecting different gems. Thanks for the info! I think I’m going to look elsewhere if I do decide to get it
4 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

I bought a pair of 2ct Grandidierite & zircon dangle earrings from SLC which were a nice mid greenish blue color-for $79. I kept them. Then I bought a 9.75ct Grandidierite pendant with about .28ct diamonds making it over 10 ct. from shoplc for $1087. The Grandidierite Arrived Very included. Actually had white spots on the surface which wouldn’t come out. I returned those. Had 2 wks of aggravation because after my return said out for delivery in Austin, Texas, there was no update. I had to go thru hoops to get the $1187 refund. Sure enough a few days later there was a 40% coupon on it, making it much less.
SLC actually had a beautiful 3ct Grandidierite solitaire that was transparent for $20,000. They sold it. The stones that they usually sell are opaque. Not valuable. To be valuable it has to be at least a 3 ct solitaire, a blue greenish color and transparent to maybe slightly translucent. All others have only bragging value that you own a rare stone.
5 x

Lauren

Post by Lauren » 4 years ago

I won 2 on the auction side. First one has very pale color but the second one has a rich blue/green color...I guess it’s a crapshoot unless you buy the premium ones? I kept both simply because it’s a rare stone and both were under $32
3 x