Jewelry appraisals

wolfgirl

Jewelry appraisals

Post by wolfgirl » 4 years ago

I have never had jewelry appraised and am sure have to pay for that service, but is it expensive? I bought 2 of the "dynasty collection" welo opal rings with tanzanite and emerald and would like to get them appraised but I only paid $100 apiece for them. I know the starting price or SRP was exaggerated, but for many months, price stayed at $299. I want to try to sell them, but want to make sure I am stating the correct value. Wolfgirl
2 x

Blossom

Re: Jewelry appraisals

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

wolfgirl wrote:
4 years ago
I have never had jewelry appraised and am sure have to pay for that service, but is it expensive? I bought 2 of the "dynasty collection" welo opal rings with tanzanite and emerald and would like to get them appraised but I only paid $100 apiece for them. I know the starting price or SRP was exaggerated, but for many months, price stayed at $299. I want to try to sell them, but want to make sure I am stating the correct value. Wolfgirl
I've never had anything appraised either. Only guessing but I think I've heard others say aprox $100.
I have tried to re-sell diamond rings to pawn shops...they wouldn't even offer me anything! When I tried w/sterling silver rings (no stones) they would only offer its worth in weight (less than $1. per ring) I kept them.

I'm sure someone here will know more about appraisal fee.
5 x

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » 4 years ago

Pawn shops are notoriously low bidders. That is why estate attorneys will often go and get three bids on things they are trying to liquidate. I can't tell you how low they bought one of my naive children's musical instrument for! It also depends on if they are overstocked and moving things. I jsut got my daughter an emerald bracelet and it was stunning--I think I paid around 300.00 for it and the appraisal was 1300.00 or 1500.00. Can't remember exactly and I mailed her the appraisal. Those Welos are gorgeous and I have purchased many stunning pieces for my other daughter who is an October birthday--she looks like a freaking princess when she is dripping in some of those pieces! Emeralds are tricky and since it was an investment piece I made sure it was a good start for her by having it appraised--she was thrilled to have a $1300 plus bracelet! I stay away from fissure filled stuff--no NIassa and no Masola for me --or whatever there names are...I have a fighting chance with the genuine stuff. I think their sterling silver is beautiful and the Bali collection is generally outstanding. I learned in Italy that to work in silver you have to be even more expert than if you work in gold. If something is specifically Italian gold or silver, it gets my attention. It will likely hold its value.
5 x

LisaC2019

Post by LisaC2019 » 4 years ago

wolfgirl wrote:
4 years ago
I don't know the exact amounts they charge for appraisals but remembered purchasing a high dollar item from JTV and you could add the appraisal to your purchase for a fee. I just can remember the exact amount but it was over $100 and I decided against adding because I just didn't trust an appraisal coming from the seller.
5 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

Dragonfly wrote:
4 years ago
Pawn shops are notoriously low bidders. That is why estate attorneys will often go and get three bids on things they are trying to liquidate. I can't tell you how low they bought one of my naive children's musical instrument for! It also depends on if they are overstocked and moving things. I jsut got my daughter an emerald bracelet and it was stunning--I think I paid around 300.00 for it and the appraisal was 1300.00 or 1500.00. Can't remember exactly and I mailed her the appraisal. Those Welos are gorgeous and I have purchased many stunning pieces for my other daughter who is an October birthday--she looks like a freaking princess when she is dripping in some of those pieces! Emeralds are tricky and since it was an investment piece I made sure it was a good start for her by having it appraised--she was thrilled to have a $1300 plus bracelet! I stay away from fissure filled stuff--no NIassa and no Masola for me --or whatever there names are...I have a fighting chance with the genuine stuff. I think their sterling silver is beautiful and the Bali collection is generally outstanding. I learned in Italy that to work in silver you have to be even more expert than if you work in gold. If something is specifically Italian gold or silver, it gets my attention. It will likely hold its value.
@Dragonfly 🌺

Do you remember what the appraisal itself cost when you had it done for your daughter's beautiful bracelet?

Did you mean the bracelet was $300.00 or the cost of having it appraised was $300.00?

Thank You! 😊
3 x

Dragonfly

I mean I bought it at shop LC and then took it to an appraiser who is pretty conservative. He is the one that appraised it for $1300 to $1500.00. She has the appraisal with her and I don't have the exact number with me--I just texted her to see if she could tell me, but she is 3 hours behind me. 17he just told me she is checking...She said it was $1750.00 for something I paid $297.00 for it. I think that is darn good!
3 x

Dragonfly

297.00 paid and appraised for $1750.00
1 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

Dragonfly wrote:
4 years ago
Dragonfly,

How much did you have to pay the appraiser to have it appraised?
6 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

Tothemoon wrote:
4 years ago
Dragonfly wrote:
4 years ago
Dragonfly,

How much did you have to pay the appraiser to have it appraised?
@Tothemoon

THANK YOU!
🌺
2 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Hi everyone,
When my Mom passed, I took her diamond jewelry to Macys to be appraised. I happened to be in Manhattan in New York, and they have Appraisers ( not Macy controlled) on the 9th floor. Thats about 9 years ago. He charged about $100 a piece depending on the size and how many stones.
An Appraiser gives a value for insurance purpose which is always inflated. If its worth $3000, they will appraise it close to $10,000. Not the resale value.
But they are honest. My siblings and I looked at a ring my mom had. She always wore it. We always thought its a CZ. It had no inscriptions. I figured while i’m getting her jewelry appraised I will ask the appraiser if it has any value.he said its very dirty, so he had it cleaned. He could have said its costume jewelry and offered a few dollars. To my surprise he said it was platinum. The 1.4 round solitaire was a G VS1 and the baguettes were H VS2. Well, if I was dishonest I could have told my siblings that as we suspected its a CZ ring. But all my life my Dad told me whatever is meant to be mine, will be, as long as i’m hard working and honest. I celebrated with my siblings over the worth of my moms jewelry ( when my Dad was alive, he lent a diamond dealer money, which the dealer had a hard time repaying, so every now and then he gave my mom diamond jewelry instead of money, So we knew the other pieces were valuable,but she never mentioned that she got that diamond ring from that jeweler. I’m thinking, she thought it was a CZ. Good luck with your appraisals 🤩
6 x