Has anybody purchased Strontium Titanate jewelry ?

Angelflutter

Has anybody purchased Strontium Titanate jewelry ?

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

I am just curious. I have seen Strontium pieces on the Tennessee channel and on ShopLC. They say they have a lot of refraction and are prettier than cz's, diamonds and Moisonnite. Is that true? Me loves me some sparkle. I have heard Stacey W. Say that in the sunlight it pops and " is almost blinding." Just wondering if it is a sturdy stone than can be worn as an everyday ring or is it something that needs to be babied. Does it scratch or chip easily? I have seen Strontium Titan ate rings on both networks. It's not cheap.... but it is not out of reach in my price range. Just haven't made the leap. Please inform me of whether it would be a good purchase or something I need to stay away from. Thanking you all in advance. :?
2 x

Gem Lover

Re: Has anybody purchased Strontium Titanate jewelry ?

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

It is a soft and can be scratched easily like Russian Chrome Diopside, it is so brilliant that it looks fake to me, it has way more brilliance then a diamond does, if you want a lot of sparkle it delivers but like I said it looks fake to me because of that. The Rise and Decline of Strontium Titanate
The impressive fire of strontium titanate made the stone a rapid success in the jewelry trade. People loved the intense fire and the lower price compared to diamond, and many purchased strontium titanate instead of diamond. Many people bought it just because they loved its appearance.

Savvy merchants invented exotic trade names for strontium titanate such as "Fabulite," "Diagem," "Marvelite," "Dynagem," and "Jewelite." The name "strontium titanate" was hard to remember and resembled the name of a "chemical." The trade names inspired a vision of beautiful stones and were easy for consumers to remember.

Between the early 1950s and the early 1970s, Fabulite, Diagem, and the other strontium titanate brands were popular sellers. Then, many people who purchased strontium titanate jewelry and wore it regularly began to notice that their stones were showing signs of wear. The facet faces were often scratched, and facet edges were often nicked and chipped. A material with a Mohs hardness of 5.5 does not stand up to wear like diamond with a hardness of 10, or ruby and sapphire with a hardness of 9.
6 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

I have a pair of ST stud earrings that I wear in place of my diamond studs almost daily. I wouldnt purchase a ring or bracelet as is very soft and doesnt stand up to daily wear. It does sparkle, Ill give them that but I probably wont buy more.
1 x

Gemsnob

It was around before CZ and Moissanite. They are both harder and more durable but ST does have a higher refraction.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

White zircon, good white zircon, seems like a good alternative to me. Good refraction, natural. Not as hard as diamonds but not as soft as ST.
4 x

Gemsnob

RS wrote:
4 years ago
White zircon, good white zircon, seems like a good alternative to me. Good refraction, natural. Not as hard as diamonds but not as soft as ST.
I do have white zircon studs around somewhere too. I REALLY need to organize and purge some of my jewelry. I wish my girls loved it as much as I do. I have nieces. Maybe I can hand it down to them.
2 x

CC

Post by CC » 4 years ago

I have a beautiful ring purchased from JTV. It is a solitaire and it sits in a tall prong setting. It sits on a band that has I think it is white zircon on each outer side of the band and citrine going down the middle. I have had mine a couple of years and I love it. As a matter of fact I was just looking on their website the other day contemplating buying another one, but common sense came over me, and I didn't because I already have this beauty. They still sell the one I have or they did as of not too long ago. I have never seen it sold here. If it was recently I must have missed it. If it was a while ago I didn't have this channel for around 3 years due to cable provider and I didn't surf internet a!ot then. I have had it back for about 2 years now much to my pocketbooks expense.
3 x

Angelflutter

CC wrote:
4 years ago
I have a beautiful ring purchased from JTV. It is a solitaire and it sits in a tall prong setting. It sits on a band that has I think it is white zircon on each outer side of the band and citrine going down the middle. I have had mine a couple of years and I love it. As a matter of fact I was just looking on their website the other day contemplating buying another one, but common sense came over me, and I didn't because I already have this beauty. They still sell the one I have or they did as of not too long ago. I have never seen it sold here. If it was recently I must have missed it. If it was a while ago I didn't have this channel for around 3 years due to cable provider and I didn't surf internet a!ot then. I have had it back for about 2 years now much to my pocketbooks expense.
Was it FGH042?
1 x

Angelflutter

Thank you everyone for all the information. Wow, who knew strontium titanate has such a long history and was sold under so many names. I was looking at the Tennessee website and I saw some very pretty rings that were set in real gold. Decisions, decisions.... which one will I get? Hmmmmm. I guess I will ponder over it when I go to work tonight. Now it's time for me to get some shuteye. Midnight comes quickly when I don't get my 8 hours of sleep in..night ya'll.
3 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

I love white zircon too and zircon is my birthstone. I have white zircon cluster rings and bracelets and they look like fine diamonds and last month I purchased a pair of beautiful white zircon hoop earrings, they were on the pricey side but worth every penny, I paid $200 for them but they were on sale, the original price was $350 but the stones in them are clear, large and sparkle like the finest diamonds, I hunted forever to find a good quality pair.
1 x