Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Gemaholic

Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

After all the talk about cobalt coatings in tanzanite, I inspected and they are fine, BUT it got me to inspect my other SLC pieces. I am very upset. Spinel is NOT supposed to fluoresce under a UV light. I bought some rose spinel back in the day when they still sold it. Sadly, they all fluoresced strongly under short uv wavelength. I did some research and only synthetic spinel fluoresces under shorter wavelength uv lights (blue)or pink sapphires. It was also STRONG. That thing lit up like a Christmas tree! I am angry because it never said "Lab Created" (I still have the paperwork). They advertised it as real. The other option is not any better. Spinel is often confused with PINK SAPPHIRE. All corundums fluoresce, not just Burmese Rubies. So either they lied about it being lab created or they lied about it being a spinel. I'm very disgusted right now.
By the way, you can use a UV light to detect fillers in your gemstones. I suggests people start checking because after my find, SLC hasn't been honest.
12 x

Gemaholic

Re: Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
Rup roh!
I had to google rup roh to see what it means! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
6 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

What do the fillers look like under uv light?
3 x

Gemaholic

Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
If you use a UV light with a short wavelength (blue light) fillers will glow white..Also, your stone will not be uniform in color. I tested on a few Niassa pieces I bought in the past for fun and the fluorescence was uneven but not as bad as I thought it would be. The Burmese ones were sold so when you put them back to back you can see the difference.
7 x

bluez

Post by bluez » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
Rup roh!
Hahaha, Gemaholic! Does that mean you are too young to know Elroy & the Jetsons?

Has anyone shined their light on Ilakaka Pink Sapphires? I haven't seen them in person, but the pix look off to me.
bluez
4 x

Gemaholic

bluez wrote:
4 years ago
Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
Rup roh!
Hahaha, Gemaholic! Does that mean you are too young to know Elroy & the Jetsons?

Has anyone shined their light on Ilakaka Pink Sapphires? I haven't seen them in person, but the pix look off to me.
bluez
Those are fissure filled for sure. LOL and yes the Jestson's wasn't my generation!
7 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
After all the talk about cobalt coatings in tanzanite, I inspected and they are fine, BUT it got me to inspect my other SLC pieces. I am very upset. Spinel is NOT supposed to fluoresce under a UV light. I bought some rose spinel back in the day when they still sold it. Sadly, they all fluoresced strongly under short uv wavelength. I did some research and only synthetic spinel fluoresces under shorter wavelength uv lights (blue)or pink sapphires. It was also STRONG. That thing lit up like a Christmas tree! I am angry because it never said "Lab Created" (I still have the paperwork). They advertised it as real. The other option is not any better. Spinel is often confused with PINK SAPPHIRE. All corundums fluoresce, not just Burmese Rubies. So either they lied about it being lab created or they lied about it being a spinel. I'm very disgusted right now.
By the way, you can use a UV light to detect fillers in your gemstones. I suggests people start checking because after my find, SLC hasn't been honest.
You mean Mahenge pink Spinel? I have earrings with that gem. Then it's possible that it could be synthetic. Years ago, I took a loose Fire Opal to be examined and the gemologist told me that is was a poorly cut stone and it was a Synthetic Opal. I was furious. I called the company back then was known as Liquidation channel. Unfortunately, I could not return it. Back then they had a no return policy. But the loose amethyst and aquamarine are real and are both set in 18kt gold.
Last edited by Margui 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
If you use a UV light with a short wavelength (blue light) fillers will glow white..Also, your stone will not be uniform in color. I tested on a few Niassa pieces I bought in the past for fun and the fluorescence was uneven but not as bad as I thought it would be. The Burmese ones were sold so when you put them back to back you can see the difference.
Thanks Gemaholic!!! Just learned a ton. How does one tell the difference between a pink sapphire and a pink spinel then ? Also Can you
share what a synthetic gemstone looks like under
a loupe? I have a couple lighted loupes but don’t know
what to look for. Glad you are still here
5 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

I thought "Ruh Roh!" was Scooby Doo. I looked it up and found it WAS from The Jetson's! It started with The Jetson's dog, "Astro" and continued with Scooby Doo.

Well! Ya' really do learn something new every day! 😉
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Catticus wrote:
4 years ago
I thought "Ruh Roh!" was Scooby Doo. I looked it up and found it WAS from The Jetson's! It started with The Jetson's dog, "Astro" and continued with Scooby Doo.

Well! Ya' really do learn something new every day! 😉
I named a favorite cat "Astro" as a kid because I liked the Jetson's dog Astro.... just sayin' :D
6 x