Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Gemaholic

Re: Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Moderator_Connor wrote:
4 years ago
Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
After all the talk about cobalt coatings in tanzanite, I inspected and they are fine, BUT it got me to inspect my other SLC pieces. I am very upset. Spinel is NOT supposed to fluoresce under a UV light. I bought some rose spinel back in the day when they still sold it. Sadly, they all fluoresced strongly under short uv wavelength. I did some research and only synthetic spinel fluoresces under shorter wavelength uv lights (blue)or pink sapphires. It was also STRONG. That thing lit up like a Christmas tree! I am angry because it never said "Lab Created" (I still have the paperwork). They advertised it as real. The other option is not any better. Spinel is often confused with PINK SAPPHIRE. All corundums fluoresce, not just Burmese Rubies. So either they lied about it being lab created or they lied about it being a spinel. I'm very disgusted right now.
By the way, you can use a UV light to detect fillers in your gemstones. I suggests people start checking because after my find, SLC hasn't been honest.
Good Afternoon, Gemaholic!

In regards to the Spinel(s), we have received a notice from our department teams.

Fluorescence of spinel can vary. Pink to red spinel may or may not display fluorescence under both short or long form UV light.

Some references note that synthetic spinel displays fluorescence differently than naturally occurring spinel. Others sources say that the origin also affects spinel fluorescence. A single test is not usually sufficient to determine origin.
Which is why I am getting other opinions by certified gemologists. I do not trust SLC and even your response couldn't prove SLC's innocence in this matter. I also have moonstone that is most likely not moonstone. I have read on other sites people finding out their jewelry was not what SLC said it was.
4 x

Moderator_Connor

Re: Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Post by Moderator_Connor » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Moderator_Connor wrote:
4 years ago
Good Afternoon, Gemaholic!

In regards to the Spinel(s), we have received a notice from our department teams.

Fluorescence of spinel can vary. Pink to red spinel may or may not display fluorescence under both short or long form UV light.

Some references note that synthetic spinel displays fluorescence differently than naturally occurring spinel. Others sources say that the origin also affects spinel fluorescence. A single test is not usually sufficient to determine origin.
Which is why I am getting other opinions by certified gemologists. I do not trust SLC and even your response couldn't prove SLC's innocence in this matter. I also have moonstone that is most likely not moonstone. I have read on other sites people finding out their jewelry was not what SLC said it was.
We thank you for feedback, and are sorry to hear that. The above explanation was provided by a certified gemologist here with ShopLC. However, we do understand your concern, and you are more than welcome to consult other certified gemologists if you have concerns about the authenticity of your product(s).
5 x