Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
Spooky wrote:
4 years ago

Ok you two and JQ are cracking me up! I thought
I was the only one who went crazy for critters.
Yes, they all have personalities!!! Where did your preying mantis hang out in the house? Do you
leave a little bowl of water for it to drink? I’m going
to get some
Well you do have to help them eat at first if you keep them from a baby out of the egg which means you have to provide little/tiny insects (juicier the better). But if you purchase eggs, you need to know the timeframe of birth as close as possible because when they hatch - game on. You have hundreds/thousands (depending on how many eggs you have). I keep them in a large paper sack. They naturally will start killing each other so get them outdoors and into in several bushes. Or you can tie the eggs to branches on the bottom of bushes and let them hatch but if you miss the hatching - you may not find one to bring inside. So you may keep a few tiny ones in the kitchen window at first and let survival of the * do it's thing. I say this because it may be hard to find tiny insects that they can kill because if their food is too big (even though they will try) they may not be skilled enough and large enough to kill it. So lady bugs and a few ants (although I find they do not like ants unless they are hungry). Flies are the best meals for newborns and/or small moths/spiders but you may have to almost kill the fly first. Their prey must be alive or they won't touch it. So if you catch something larger (GREAT) but you may need to maim it for babies - don't kill it though. After they get large enough (fast) it's not has hard and they don't have to eat daily. To water them is to mist the windowsill or wherever she is.
It's really not hard at all and you will LOVE them as they watch you do your thing in the kitchen or wherever. I have a back door by my kitchen and I will grill out or let my cat in and out so in the summer - naturally a fly will come in. Preying Mantis is better than a fly swatter! Just let her do her job....she's glad to help out. Also, if they haven't eaten - leave an outdoor light on and grab a moth or two at night. Hope that helps! They are really fun if you don't mind watching the killing - it's ninja style!
When I raised baby mantises from birth, I purchsed flyless fruitfly cultures. Lol they provide the eggs and food for fruitflys and are tiny enough and juicy enough for baby mantises. I didnt keep alot of babies as thousands hatch and when you open the lid to feed then, they are everywhere. So, when they hatch I let most go and raise a few hoping for a female as they are larger than males. The largest and most common around here are Chinese mantises but we also have the smaller Carolina mantis. When they are all large enough, its easy to catch insects outside for them.
That's a great idea to get the flyless fruitfly however I never have done that and have been successful. Yeah, when I said after they are hatched - "game on" that means they (thousands in my case) are going to go everywhere and fast. I have mine in a large paper sack and I will start vigilantly watching for them to hatch in the time frame I expect it. The moment they are hatched I will release the babies in bushes and trees and near my flowers/garden and keep a few then. Where do you buy yours? I buy mine from Arbico Organics.
1 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Re: My Anthill Garnet ring...

GS, do/did you walk around with them on your shoulder/head? It's great fun! They will jump on you and just hang out as you go about your day. haha!

I have preying mantis jewelry too! I have a pendant and a pin. I have a preying mantis pillow case and several preying mantis Christmas ornaments. At Christmas I have several Christmas trees. One is devoted to bird ornaments only and it's beautiful! One tree is devoted to animal ornaments (this is where I hang my mantis ornaments). One tree for family ornaments passed down and personal ornaments - kinda like a tribute to my family. One tree is just for show - that's the biggest and main one in the window.
2 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

4 years ago
GS, do/did you walk around with them on your shoulder/head? It's great fun! They will jump on you and just hang out as you go about your day. haha!

I have preying mantis jewelry too! I have a pendant and a pin. I have a preying mantis pillow case and several preying mantis Christmas ornaments. At Christmas I have several Christmas trees. One is devoted to bird ornaments only and it's beautiful! One tree is devoted to animal ornaments (this is where I hang my mantis ornaments). One tree for family ornaments passed down and personal ornaments - kinda like a tribute to my family. One tree is just for show - that's the biggest and main one in the window.
Yes, I would let one hang on my head or shoulders. Have you ever had one nibble on your hair? Where do you find all of the mantis things? I have seen ornaments. My daughter loves insects but especially spiders. I could never get a tarantula but I did get other insects. Many years ago we had giant African Millipedes. They reproduce like rabbits! I had to keep getting a larger cage for them. It was crazy!
0 x

Gemsnob

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

Yes, I would let one hang on my head or shoulders. Have you ever had one nibble on your hair? Where do you find all of the mantis things? I have seen ornaments. My daughter loves insects but especially spiders. I could never get a tarantula but I did get other insects. Many years ago we had giant African Millipedes. They reproduce like rabbits! I had to keep getting a larger cage for them. It was crazy!
Your Christmas trees sound so beautiful! I do well just putting up one. Its still up. Im hoping to get in down tomorrow. Ugh
1 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

A girl after my heart! African Millipedes are cool and I'm it's fun having one or two.
1 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

My mantis jewelry were given to me as a gift from my husband. We have a lot of specialty shops here - boutique gift shops - and I'm sure that is where he found them....or had them find it for him. They are costume.
2 x

SueB

Post by SueB » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago
I you got your items, RS. And tell us how is your Anthill Garnet ring.
I will. I keep checking the tracking number!

That was really fast too! Ordered on Jan. 12.

I have never ever gotten anything that quickly.
I have actually Ordered a few things lately and have No Problem getting them here!!! And quality is much better also!!! I hope you enjoy your anthill garnet they are a beautiful red and I love garnet anyway so many different colors! And most have so much life in them!
4 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

SueB wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago

I have actually Ordered a few things lately and have No Problem getting them here!!! And quality is much better also!!! I hope you enjoy your anthill garnet they are a beautiful red and I love garnet anyway so many different colors! And most have so much life in them!
Hi SueB. ❣
3 x

Gemsnob

SueB wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago

Hi SueB. Its great to see you! ❤ I love garnet too. Natural and no treatments, many colors to choose from and so many different locations. Nothing boring about it!
2 x

mpompadour

Post by mpompadour » 4 years ago

My Anthill Garnet ring arrived today and I an just THRILLED with it. The color of the stones are a lovely deep cherry red with with flashes of a brighter red. Very unique color and I do not detect any brown undertones. It looks well made and is a low profile setting, 3/4" long and 1/2" wide, with gold wash accents. I just love it and so glad SLC brought Anthill garnet back. :)
5 x