Since the hosts don’t tell you guys this...

Gemaholic

Re: Since the hosts don’t tell you guys this...

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

bluez wrote:
4 years ago
Great info Gemaholic, thanks for sharing!
Could you maybe suggest a couple gemstones best for rings?
bluez
Sure thing! What colors do you like? The obvious safe ones are: Diamonds, Beryls: Emeralds, morganite, goshenite, aquamarine; Corundum: ruby, sapphire, fancy colored sapphire (although lab created sapphires pose issues with the sun); Topaz (high temperatures can cause breaks though and they should never sit in the sun for hours), Quartz (but be aware of the quartzes I listed that are sensitive to too much sunlight)

I feel like I am forgetting some, so I'll add more when I remember and I will make sure you see it!
3 x

Gemaholic

Hollie wrote:
4 years ago
Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago

Just out of curiosity, have you ever come across fire agate? Its one of my favs! Its so hard to find beautiful quality fire agate. One day, Im going to have a nice ring with a round or oval fire agate. Part of my problem is I dont like asymmetrical settings or stones. I make it difficult.
I have not come across it yet unfortunately. If I ever come across some, I'll let you know! Agate is part of the quartz family, so it's more durable than some of the stones I listed.
I can find Fire Agate in Squaw Butte. It's a couple/few counties over.
It's on my list.
Oh wait, you're in Idaho that's right! We are supposed to come to you! You guys seem to have some pretty fun stuff!
3 x

bluez

Post by bluez » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Sure thing! What colors do you like?

Really, you had to ask? "bluez" gave you no hint? hehehe... ;) I like blues, color and the music!

Oh, and thinking of protecting rings.... it would be nice if SLC offered ring holders for the kitchen/sink area, a quick, safe place to put them!
5 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

bluez wrote:
4 years ago
Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago

Really, you had to ask? "bluez" gave you no hint? hehehe... ;) I like blues, color and the music!

Oh, and thinking of protecting rings.... it would be nice if SLC offered ring holders for the kitchen/sink area, a quick, safe place to put them!
Great idea!
I have one of their metal embossed boxes downstairs. When I come home my rings go inside and are away from the sink. I keep it on a sideboard in the dining area.
1 x

Gemaholic

bluez wrote:
4 years ago
Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago

Haha didn't want to assume! Your name could also imply a genre of music! Luckily I covered some blue stones for ya ;)
4 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

And kyanite, fluorite, sphene are also very soft
and are really unsuited for rings.
Thanks Gemaholic for your list. I like
the gem blog idea a lot 💖🌈
5 x

Gemaholic

Spooky wrote:
4 years ago
AHH THAT was the stone I was forgetting! THANK YOU @Spooky It was driving me nuts because I knew I was forgetting one in particular--KYANITE! I am curious to hear from people here if they purchased it as a ring. I want to know how long it lasted. Kyanite is tricky since its hardness ranges quite a bit. who knows if they're selling us that crappy pieces though that are a 4 on the Moh's opposed to the higher quality kyanite that is a 7 on the MS.
5 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Spooky wrote:
4 years ago
AHH THAT was the stone I was forgetting! THANK YOU @Spooky It was driving me nuts because I knew I was forgetting one in particular--KYANITE! I am curious to hear from people here if they purchased it as a ring. I want to know how long it lasted. Kyanite is tricky since its hardness ranges quite a bit. who knows if they're selling us that crappy pieces though that are a 4 on the Moh's opposed to the higher quality kyanite that is a 7 on the MS.
Didn't know that about Kyanite. I purchased a ring last week but it is small and maybe it will be protected because of its style. It's for my middle finger. I bought it for $29 and now it's $69! wowzer. Take a look if you want Item 3468582. I will be careful with it.
2 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

You have a PhD - cool. What discipline? Does this mean we have to address you as Dr.?
4 x

Shop4joy

Post by Shop4joy » 4 years ago

Hello. All!
I just wanted to chime in, Gemaholic. I love the idea of a gem blog as well!

Thanks again! For the additional information!!
5 x