Since the hosts don’t tell you guys this...

Gemaholic

Since the hosts don’t tell you guys this...

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

I decided to create a post because I’m seeing several threads about jewelry care and it upsets me that SLC hosts spend more time talking about mines closing than they do about care for your jewelry. Below are a list of gemstones that are not intended for everyday wear. I will also note which ones are not even intended to be put in rings yet SLC continues to sell them as rings without a disclaimer:

1. Russian Chrome Diopside: this is not a durable stone! It is not intended to be put in rings so it is very susceptible to losing stones or chipping. It’s best as a pendent. It’s only between a 5 and a 6 on the Moh’s scale of hardness. If you choose to wear this, wear it with caution and do not wear it during cleaning, lifting, working out, etc.

2. Neon Apatite: This one will sadden a lot of you as it is so beautiful and you will want to wear it all the time. This is also a fragile stone and is not suited for rings. It’s only a FIVE on the Moh’s scale of hardness and is very brittle (making it weaker). If put in rings, it most likely will fall out no matter how good the prongs are. It’s best to wear it if you literally will be standing around and the only task you have is holding your merlot in one hand (or whatever your drink of choice is). I have experienced this many times and so has other family members of mine. It is also heat sensitive so keep in mind if you choose to wear it on a hot day or cook with it on.

3. Kunzite: will fade in the sun! It is called a night stone for a reason! Do not wear this during the day or you will see your beautiful Kunzite lose its vibrancy and color!

4. Ethiopian Welo Opal: there are several different kinds of opals. They are mineraloids, not minerals, so they’re a little bit trickier than typical minerals. They are extremely temperature sensitive. Do not subject them to extreme heat or extreme cold. Welo Opals are hydrophane opals which means they absorb water very easily which then turns it yellow. Sometimes it will return to its natural color after it has dried, but I have rarely or never saw it return to its beautiful state after it got wet.

5. Lapis Lazuli- one of my favorites but it is also only a 5 on the Moh’s Scale. This stone is actually not a mineral, but a rock that is composed of the minerals Calcite, Pyrite, and Lazurite(which gives it the beautiful cobalt blue color). It is very soft and should not be left in water too long. I have collected this rock on my rockhounding trips, and I can assure you, it is very sensitive to water. I’ve left some lapis rocks in water too long and have seen it shrink in size considerably. I can’t tumble it with my other rocks in my tumbler because it will whither away within a few days.

6. Pearls- Most people know these are organic gems and need to be handled and worn carefully. Do not get any chemicals on it as it will wear away the luster and can even wear away the nacre. Don’t wear it on top of lotions, creams, perfumes and don’t even put them on if you’re wearing them. I personally only own pearl necklaces since wearing it as a ring is too risky.

7. Shungite. They tell us to wear it all the time but this stone is made of carbon which is very soft. The only reason it gets its own name is because of the fullerines which is not normally found in carbon.
It’s only between a 3 and a 4 on the Moh’s scale! Yikes! That right there says enough! This stone is very fragile and when it’s made into pendants or if holes are drilled into it, the integrity of the stone is weakened and will break in time. It’s actually inevitable.

8. Amethyst, Citrine, treated zircons, and rose quartz: these are all pretty tough stones but they have the same problem: they’re sensitive to the sun. Prolonged exposure will lighten them. Zircons that are exposed to sun too long or left in the sun can even turn back to its original color of brown (yuck). Imagine how that will look as accent stones on some of your favorite rings!

These are the ones that I could think of at the top of my head but I will add more if I think of others. Feel free to ask questions about other minerals I didn’t list here! I’m a scientist so this is my favorite thing to talk about!
Last edited by Gemaholic 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
23 x

RS

Re: Since the hosts don’t tell you guys this...

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Thanks! I have jewelry in all these gems, including rings.

YIKES😳

They sure weren’t forthcoming with ANY of that info.
8 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Be careful giiirrrlllll! Somebody, or somebodyzzzzz may feel that you want their job!!! ;) Thanks for the post. Ever considered writing a gemblog???
7 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Be careful giiirrrlllll! Somebody, or somebodyzzzzz may feel that you want their job!!! ;) Thanks for the post. Ever considered writing a gemblog???
Hmm...that’s not a bad idea! It might be fun! I’ll have to look into seeing what it takes to get it all set up! I won’t put restrictions on what people can say or not say that’s for sure!
9 x

Gemsnob

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Hmm...that’s not a bad idea! It might be fun! I’ll have to look into seeing what it takes to get it all set up! I won’t put restrictions on what people can say or not say that’s for sure!
Just out of curiosity, have you ever come across fire agate? Its one of my favs! Its so hard to find beautiful quality fire agate. One day, Im going to have a nice ring with a round or oval fire agate. Part of my problem is I dont like asymmetrical settings or stones. I make it difficult.
3 x

What-a-gem

Post by What-a-gem » 4 years ago

Thank you Gemaholic for all of the gemstone info that you have provided us with.
It is so nice that you take the time to share with us.
So will you tell us what Gemstone is your favorite for jewelry?
What gemstones do you enjoy just for collecting?
I think you said that you are a rock hound. Can you tell us what your most interesting find was or is ?
Also, what kind of jobs have you had in the gemstone field? (You don’t need to answer, if you prefer not)
Again, ty so much for spending your time and knowledge here. ♥️
8 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
I decided to create a post because I’m seeing several threads about jewelry care and it upsets me that SLC hosts spend more time talking about mines closing than they do about care for your jewelry. Below are a list of gemstones that are not intended for everyday wear. I will also note which ones are not even intended to be put in rings yet SLC continues to sell them as rings without a disclaimer:

1. Russian Chrome Diopside: this is not a durable stone! It is not intended to be put in rings so it is very susceptible to losing stones or chipping. It’s best as a pendent. It’s only between a 5 and a 6 on the Moh’s scale of hardness. If you choose to wear this, wear it with caution and do not wear it during cleaning, lifting, working out, etc.

2. Neon Apatite: This one will sadden a lot of you as it is so beautiful and you will want to wear it all the time. This is also a fragile stone and is not suited for rings. It’s only a FIVE on the Moh’s scale of hardness and is very brittle (making it weaker). If put in rings, it most likely will fall out no matter how good the prongs are. It’s best to wear it if you literally will be standing around and the only task you have is holding your merlot in one hand (or whatever your drink of choice is). I have experienced this many times and so has other family members of mine. It is also heat sensitive so keep in mind if you choose to wear it on a hot day or cook with it on.

3. Kunzite: will fade in the sun! It is called a night stone for a reason! Do not wear this during the day or you will see your beautiful Kunzite lose its vibrancy and color!

4. Ethiopian Welo Opal: there are several different kinds of opals. They are mineraloids, not minerals, so they’re a little bit trickier than typical minerals. They are extremely temperature sensitive. Do not subject them to extreme heat or extreme cold. Welo Opals are hydroplane opals which means they absorb water very easily which then turns it yellow. Sometimes it will return to its natural color after it has dried, but I have rarely or never saw it return to its beautiful state after it got wet.

5. Lapis Lazuli- one of my favorites but it is also only a 5 on the Moh’s Scale. This stone is actually not a mineral, but a rock that is composed of the minerals Calcite, Pyrite, and Lazurite(which gives it the beautiful cobalt blue color). It is very soft and should not be left in water too long. I have collected this rock on my rockhounding trips, and I can assure you, it is very sensitive to water. I’ve left some lapis rocks in water too long and have seen it shrink in size considerably. I can’t tumble it with my other rocks in my tumbler because it will whither away within a few days.

6. Pearls- Most people know these are organic gems and need to be handled and worn carefully. Do not get any chemicals on it as it will wear away the luster and can even wear away the nacre. Don’t wear it on top of lotions, creams, perfumes and don’t even put them on if you’re wearing them. I personally only own pearl necklaces since wearing it as a ring is too risky.

7. Shungite. They tell us to wear it all the time but this stone is made of carbon which is very soft. The only reason it gets its own name is because of the fullerines which is not normally found in carbon.
It’s only between a 3 and a 4 on the Moh’s scale! Yikes! That right there says enough! This stone is very fragile and when it’s made into pendants or if holes are drilled into it, the integrity of the stone is weakened and will break in time. It’s actually inevitable.

8. Amethyst, Citrine, treated zircons, and rose quartz: these are all pretty tough stones but they have the same problem: they’re sensitive to the sun. Prolonged exposure will lighten them. Zircons that are exposed to sun too long or left in the sun can even turn back to its original color of brown (yuck). Imagine how that will look as accent stones on some of your favorite rings!

These are the ones that I could think of at the top of my head but I will add more if I think of others. Feel free to ask questions about other minerals I didn’t list here! I’m a scientist so this is my favorite thing to talk about!
@Gemaholic Your post explains a lot about some of my older jewelry that's not wearable anymore most of which I bought in the 80's-90's as a younger woman starting out. I was rough on my jewelry and would even wear it sunbathing/swimming at the beach and pools along with lots and lots of real gold bracelets and necklaces, for goodness sake. The more gold the better back in the day along with my big hair. I lived in Dallas most of my career so the more the better.

However, I was taught by my mother how to care for pearls as my parents gave them to me for special occasions as I was growing up. I mean it was like a BIG DEAL that I took care of them or else a curse would befall me! We always wore them to church, funerals, weddings and graduations! Then when I went to buy better and more exotic pearls, my jeweler told me how to care for them and I was thrilled my mom told me correctly. I still have all of my pearl pieces in beautiful condition but the other stuff not so much. My amethyst, aquamarine, citrine are history. However, for graduation my parents gave me a beautiful emerald and diamond ring that looks beautiful to this day and I still wear often. I have several gorgeous blue sapphires as given to me as gifts over the years (my signature stone) but I've grown weary of them only because I like mix it up now.

Thank you for sharing this info - I will steer clear of those gemstones mentioned but will admire them from afar.
5 x

Gemsnob

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago

4. Ethiopian Welo Opal: there are several different kinds of opals. They are mineraloids, not minerals, so they’re a little bit trickier than typical minerals. They are extremely temperature sensitive. Do not subject them to extreme heat or extreme cold. Welo Opals are hydroplane opals which means they absorb water very easily which then turns it yellow. Sometimes it will return to its natural color after it has dried, but I have rarely or never saw it return to its beautiful state after it got wet.

@Gemaholic Your post explains a lot about some of my older jewelry that's not wearable anymore most of which I bought in the 80's-90's as a younger woman starting out. I was rough on my jewelry and would even wear it sunbathing/swimming at the beach and pools along with lots and lots of real gold bracelets and necklaces, for goodness sake. The more gold the better back in the day along with my big hair. I lived in Dallas most of my career so the more the better.

However, I was taught by my mother how to care for pearls as my parents gave them to me for special occasions as I was growing up. I mean it was like a BIG DEAL that I took care of them or else a curse would befall me! We always wore them to church, funerals, weddings and graduations! Then when I went to buy better and more exotic pearls, my jeweler told me how to care for them and I was thrilled my mom told me correctly. I still have all of my pearl pieces in beautiful condition but the other stuff not so much. My amethyst, aquamarine, citrine are history. However, for graduation my parents gave me a beautiful emerald and diamond ring that looks beautiful to this day and I still wear often. I have several gorgeous blue sapphires as given to me as gifts over the years (my signature stone) but I've grown weary of them only because I like mix it up now.

Thank you for sharing this info - I will steer clear of those gemstones mentioned but will admire them from afar.
I dont think she means steer clear. Just know how to care for them and that they arent hard enough for daily wear. I have so many stones but they ONLY one I wear daily is my diamond wedding band. I switch pieces up on my left hand. Earrings and pendands take less "hits" that rings and bracelets for the most part so may be better suited for softer stones.
7 x

Ginger

Post by Ginger » 4 years ago

Thank you Gemaholic for this valuable information and I too, have lots of those gemstones mentioned. Well, except for the shungite, not a big fan of it. I wish they would tell us things like this because I think we need to know. Now I understand why some of my gems are looking like they do. I’ve heard some hosts say to put the welo opal in water from time to time because it will get dried out & the water will bring it back to its normal luster. I have to ask you, is this true, since I have many welo opal gemstones not set into a casting. You’re a wealth of knowledge & I’m happy hearing all about your findings & your experiments. Thank you so much ❣️❣️
4 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

This is great information. I have all (except Kunzite)
but dont wear everyday and I follow the rule...
Jewelry is last thing you put on before leaving and
first thing I take off when I get home
5 x