Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post Reply
fluffikitti
Posts: 19
Joined: 1 year ago

Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by fluffikitti » 1 year ago

The product pics are very misleading. Ordered an opal and tanzanite ring. Received it in the mail hoping it would be at least visible to the naked eye. First off the ring was small for its stated size - almost a 1/2 size down. The setting is Dainty. thin silver band. So dainty like a 5 yr old would love this ring. Tiny Tiny Opal has a big honking red blotch in the center. The Tanzys were pale but well OK. Done with this channel. 2nd time now..
2 x

User avatar
Gem Lover
Posts: 2091
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by Gem Lover » 1 year ago

When buying opal it usually will give the size in mm and under the item under gemstone 1 it will give the carat weight but opals weigh less than other stones so if it says 2 under carats then you double that so it would be like a 4 ct. regular gemstone size. With opals I buy 12x10 or larger than it will be a good size, I try to buy 16x12 or so.
4 x

Beck
Posts: 1
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by Beck » 1 year ago

Talking of dainty rings, I wish SLC would sell smaller size rings. My daughter and granddaughters have sizes 4 & 4 1/2.
3 x

User avatar
Blossom
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by Blossom » 1 year ago

Beck wrote:
1 year ago
Talking of dainty rings, I wish SLC would sell smaller size rings. My daughter and granddaughters have sizes 4 & 4 1/2.
SLC used to have a kid's line of jewelry with those sizes. I don't know if they still do. I wish for size 3 1/2 for my pinky.
2 x

JewelryQueen
Posts: 2203
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by JewelryQueen » 1 year ago

There is a time and a place for small gemstones, which are especially appropriate for children and even "tweens". But I agree it is hard to find more sophisticated styles with decent size stones for adult women with very small hands (not me--I have hamhocks).

My personal banker, who went above and beyond for me with my business banking account several times, loves southwestern style jewelry. She is a 4 1/2. I gifted her a turquoise true bypass ring in a 5 1/2 by VERY CAREFULLY sizing it down for her by bending it around a metal sizer. You can only do this if the stones are securely set and only one size. It also must be a true bypass(not connected in the front).

Then of course there are ring sizers.
4 x

fluffikitti
Posts: 19
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by fluffikitti » 1 year ago

To my mind Dainty means the stones and the setting are too small to have a "presence" on the hand. I am not a novice jewelry buyer either. The hand model (idk if this is a real hand or some sort of computer graphic image) probably wears a size 5 or 6 ring finger. So on her entire finger the ring appeared substantial.

Too bad because the setting wth the Tanzis was pretty and the opal quality (not mm size) was decent aside from the big orange blotch, turning the ring around helped offset that blotch. The silver band was very very thin and the ring size was smaller than the stated size. Had the sizing not been off perhaps I would have kept the ring and layered it with a band ring or guard ring. Though the daintiness would have nagged at the back of my mind. These days I want to be wowed by my jewelry purchases and this one missed the mark.
1 x

JewelryQueen
Posts: 2203
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by JewelryQueen » 1 year ago

So sorry you were disappointed in your purchase. I believe the "hand" is represented to be a size 7 as that is supposedly the most common ring size in the current population. From what I can glean from MY customers, actually a size 8 is more common-but then a large proportion of my customers are older (swollen joints) and probably heavier than younger folks say in their 20's or 30's. In any case I find the earring presentations on the "ear" can be misleading for size as well, so be forewarned.
2 x

Jo
Posts: 87
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by Jo » 1 year ago

Don't know if this helps on this thread, but in order to get a really good idea on the size of an item, I bought a rubber ruler from the dollar store and cut it in half. It's easier to manage that way. I keep half by my bed ('cause I do watch tv in bed) and the other half by my tv chair. That way I can see for myself and in person how big, or small an item actually is. I've changed my mind many times on items I saw were way smaller than they appeared on tv or the website.
1 x

User avatar
Blossom
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by Blossom » 1 year ago

Jo wrote:
1 year ago
Don't know if this helps on this thread, but in order to get a really good idea on the size of an item, I bought a rubber ruler from the dollar store and cut it in half. It's easier to manage that way. I keep half by my bed ('cause I do watch tv in bed) and the other half by my tv chair. That way I can see for myself and in person how big, or small an item actually is. I've changed my mind many times on items I saw were way smaller than they appeared on tv or the website.
I have a ruler that I keep near my tv nesting area. It's only 7in but it also has mm on one side. I refer to it often!
1 x

Moderator_Chris_R
Posts: 55
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Dainty Rings? WHY??

Post by Moderator_Chris_R » 1 year ago

fluffikitti wrote:
1 year ago
The product pics are very misleading. Ordered an opal and tanzanite ring. Received it in the mail hoping it would be at least visible to the naked eye. First off the ring was small for its stated size - almost a 1/2 size down. The setting is Dainty. thin silver band. So dainty like a 5 yr old would love this ring. Tiny Tiny Opal has a big honking red blotch in the center. The Tanzys were pale but well OK. Done with this channel. 2nd time now..
We apologize for this inconvenience! I have messaged you privately to further assist you in this issue.

Thank you for your feedback, and for shopping with Shop LC!
0 x

Post Reply