London Blue Topaz

JewelryQueen

Re: London Blue Topaz

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

An aside, I find emerald cuts often present as a slightly lighter color.
5 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

@RS
Topaz usually comes out of the ground white or brown
LONDON BLUE TOPAZ color is typically produced by exposure to Radiation in a nuclear reactor. ( GOOGLE IT)
I was shocked to read that. There is no warning against wearing it, so its safe to wear. Most have a Beautiful color.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Vicky wrote:
4 years ago
@RS
Topaz usually comes out of the ground white or brown
LONDON BLUE TOPAZ color is typically produced by exposure to Radiation in a nuclear reactor. ( GOOGLE IT)
I was shocked to read that. There is no warning against wearing it, so its safe to wear. Most have a Beautiful color.
Wow! Thanks for the info! I knew it was treated to make the color but nuclear 🤯
1 x

Amy

Post by Amy » 4 years ago

Thank you Vicky for the info. That explains why blue topaz looks a different shade on another channel, etc. 🌸
2 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

One of the reasons London Blue is so expensive is that it takes years to first get the color and then for the half life of the radiation to dissipate. There was talk at one time of discontinuing this process but the public put up quite the uproar.

At one time SLC was putting "certified" on their London Blue. Does that mean some of theirs may not be the real deal? Dunno
3 x

ChiChi2

Post by ChiChi2 » 4 years ago

I have about a 4 Carat emerald cut london topaz. Lovely color but there is a weird “wrinkle” defect in the stone. I got the ring in the Rising Auctions at a very low price so it may have a returned item. I don’t really care as it is a minor flaw and the ring was so cheap
2 x

GEMLOVER60

Post by GEMLOVER60 » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Any opinions on this stone? Specifically from SLC?

I always look at it and today I won a ring in RA. The pics look nice but we all know how that can go.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 💞💞💞
I just bought one and got it a few days ago, 3 stone band, the color is spot on for London Blue, nice cut, really a awesome ring. Hope the one you get is just as good.
2 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

I have 3 London Blue Topaz rings. 1 1 front the J... 2 from LC. The last one from LC was purchased in October of last year. It has 3 7x 9 oval cuts.. and white zircon. The color is amazing, saturated and the color deepness is perfect. It matches the bracelet that I paid $269.00 ( MSR of $1800.00 ) for on the J. Hope the one you get is amazingly beautiful. . . . Angelflutter
2 x