Rhodium Or Platinum Over Sterling

GEMLOVER60

Rhodium Or Platinum Over Sterling

Post by GEMLOVER60 » 4 years ago

:? Is it just me or has any one else noticed that some of the jewelry that is Rhodium or Platinum over sterling tarnishes fast? I have several pieces that are one or the other(I only buy rhodium/platinum overlay) and they start to tarnish very quickly. I know that the standard in the industry is 25mm of coating for it to be labeled as such. I have so many pieces at all different price points from other shopping networks that never show any tarnish. Some use more than 25mm that may be the problem, don't know. Just I do not like cleaning jewelry that's why I pay for the overlay....hmm, could it be SLC uses less than the 25mils....I keep my jewelry in tarnish free boxes, or just add the black paper, some I don't do either with and they all have no signs of tarnish, except the pieces from SLC.... :?
1 x

Blossom

Re: Rhodium Or Platinum Over Sterling

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

GEMLOVER60 wrote:
4 years ago
:? Is it just me or has any one else noticed that some of the jewelry that is Rhodium or Platinum over sterling tarnishes fast? I have several pieces that are one or the other(I only buy rhodium/platinum overlay) and they start to tarnish very quickly. I know that the standard in the industry is 25mm of coating for it to be labeled as such. I have so many pieces at all different price points from other shopping networks that never show any tarnish. Some use more than 25mm that may be the problem, don't know. Just I do not like cleaning jewelry that's why I pay for the overlay....hmm, could it be SLC uses less than the 25mils....I keep my jewelry in tarnish free boxes, or just add the black paper, some I don't do either with and they all have no signs of tarnish, except the pieces from SLC.... :?
Never say never, but I haven't had any of my platinum or rhodium overlay show signs of tarnish (some I've had for several years), mine are (mostly) in anti-tarnish jewelry boxes or stored in plastic w/black paper doohickies also. I don't like cleaning mine either!
2 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

That is truly weird! I probably have 300 rings and the only ones that have ever tarnished are the Karis ones with the base metal underneath. Never the silver with the overlay. If I really like a ring I will sometimes wear it for a month or two straight. And only one of my jewelry boxes is tarnish proof.

Of course the Bali and "Artisan Crafted" pieces in silver with no overlay do tarnish. a little hint-a little mineral oil rubbed on the metal part and wiped off will delay the tarnish
3 x

silleemee

Post by silleemee » 4 years ago

I think sometimes we get pieces which don't have enough of the plating on them...skimpy plating. Then it just tarnishes as if there was no plating at all. Most of my stuff is in antitarnish boxes. But if I know a piece has been plated then I get lax about putting in back it back in the box and then some of it tarnishes...ugh.
2 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

I have never had an issue (knock on wood). The J channel sells a spray that keeps tarnish at bay and it protects the wearer if you have metal allergies, they said a lady with allergies to metal invented it so she could wear all jewelry.
1 x

GEMLOVER60

I have the J spray. Not all my SLC pieces have this issue, a few items. It's not as if they turn black. They just show a little bit of darkest starting, so I use a cloth or the spray and they are ok. My point is no matter how I store all my pieces from J Q and others, they never do this. Pieces from these sites are the same as when I got them(I have pieces that are over 15 years old) and I really don't store them in any anti tarnish boxes all the time, they are left out most of the time..don't know...maybe SLC just started cutting back on the rhod./plat. overlay amount.
2 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

@GEMLOVER60
I haven’t had that issue. But, then I give 99% of the jewelry to my family, so maybe they have issues that they dont tell me about.
Although, before I give away the jewelry it can lay in my house, waiting for their Birthdays, or other special day, so I have each laying in its gift box I bought for it. . No tarnishing.
Its strange that you have a issue. Do you have a humidifier near the jewelry, or a auto fragrance mister ?
Something in the air might be the culprit.

Hope you find the culprit🧐
2 x

Derby

Post by Derby » 4 years ago

GEMLOVER60 wrote:
4 years ago
:? Is it just me or has any one else noticed that some of the jewelry that is Rhodium or Platinum over sterling tarnishes fast? [...]
Maybe, the problem is the "tarnish free" box, because you think it is tarnish free, but it is not. I bought a jewelry box from SLC. They didn't claim that it was tarnish free. They only said that it was smooth inside. I put my sterling silver and sterling silver plated pieces in it and they were black in a week. So, I keep there only my stainless steel pieces, because the box is worst than keeping sterling silver in the open air. I think, there are some chemicals in these boxes or maybe it is a glue used that speed up tarnishing. I recommend to buy Prestige jewelry boxes from HSN. I have them for about 15 years and nothing tarnish in them.
4 x

geminigirl

Post by geminigirl » 4 years ago

Yes, any of the overlay tarnishes. I have several anti-tarnish jewelry boxes and everything I buy goes in them now. I had some really ugly pieces of jewelry that were a pain to clean until I bought those boxes.
2 x

GEMLOVER60

Derby wrote:
4 years ago
GEMLOVER60 wrote:
4 years ago
:? Is it just me or has any one else noticed that some of the jewelry that is Rhodium or Platinum over sterling tarnishes fast? [...]
Maybe, the problem is the "tarnish free" box, because you think it is tarnish free, but it is not. I bought a jewelry box from SLC. They didn't claim that it was tarnish free. They only said that it was smooth inside. I put my sterling silver and sterling silver plated pieces in it and they were black in a week. So, I keep there only my stainless steel pieces, because the box is worst than keeping sterling silver in the open air. I think, there are some chemicals in these boxes or maybe it is a glue used that speed up tarnishing. I recommend to buy Prestige jewelry boxes from HSN. I have them for about 15 years and nothing tarnish in them.
No there is not a problem with the way I am storing my jewelry, that I know for sure. All my pieces that are Rhodium or Platinum overlay never show any signs of tarnish and I have a ton of pieces all from mainly the J and some the Q and only a few from the H. All those items are at some point laying around for days/weeks before I even put them back where they belong. This only is a problem with some of the SLC pieces. I just think that they are putting the least amount of overlay on their items, like jewelry that is 100 bucks and below and the higher priced items they use more. One site does overlay at 40mils or more, and nickel free. Maybe SLC has more nickel and they use less overlay on some of their pieces, this does not happen to every piece I bought from SLC, just some. I will just clean them but I do not like cleaning jewelry, that's way I do not buy standard sterling silver. ;)
2 x