Rhodium Or Platinum Over Sterling

Derby

Re: Rhodium Or Platinum Over Sterling

Post by Derby » 4 years ago

geminigirl wrote:
4 years ago
Yes, any of the overlay tarnishes. I have several anti-tarnish jewelry boxes and everything I buy goes in them now. I had some really ugly pieces of jewelry that were a pain to clean until I bought those boxes.
Do you mean Prestige boxes from HSN?
1 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

I have clean up all my pieces with a cloth and they are not look bad. I prefer platinum overlay than rodium.
3 x

Derby

Post by Derby » 4 years ago

I really don't have preferences. If silver is plated with rhodium or with platinum it is okey with me. I don't like silver plated with gold, because the colors are different and plating won't last for a long time.

By the way, rhodium is the most expensive precious metal. Much, much, much more expensive then gold and platinum. Rhodium is $7,500 per ounce, gold is $1,600 per ounce and platinum is only $660 per ounce. So, probably, when silver is plated with platinum the layer is thicker then when it is plated with rhodium.
4 x

2Blonde

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

I also had a tarnish problem with the "anti tarnish" LC boxes. I swear they made my jewelry tarnish faster. I now only continue to buy the Prestige boxes from Colleen. They are more expensive, but worth it. Never a problem with those. Colleen says they're good for 75 years......don't think I'm going to live to be 140, so no worries! That's interesting about the price difference with platinum and rhodium. I watch gold, silver and platinum prices on the market from my newspaper, but wasn't aware of the price of rhodium. Honestly, I've never been clear on the difference between the two. @Derby , you may be onto something with the possible difference in thickness.
1 x

GEMLOVER60

Post by GEMLOVER60 » 4 years ago

Derby wrote:
4 years ago
I really don't have preferences. If silver is plated with rhodium or with platinum it is okey with me. I don't like silver plated with gold, because the colors are different and plating won't last for a long time.

By the way, rhodium is the most expensive precious metal. Much, much, much more expensive then gold and platinum. Rhodium is $7,500 per ounce, gold is $1,600 per ounce and platinum is only $660 per ounce. So, probably, when silver is plated with platinum the layer is thicker then when it is plated with rhodium.
Yes, it is how many layers (mils) they dip it in, the standard, in order to call it Rhod. or Plat. overlay is 25 mils. The J's is like 40 mils, don't know what the Q is but none of my jewelry from either place shows any signs of tarnish. I really do not keep them in anti tarnish boxes, I have them but I only put things in there I only wear once in awhile. I do have some of that black anti tarnish paper they send with the jewelry, I will tuck them in the side of the boxes. Not all, but several pieces from SLC that are called Plat/Rhod. over sterling silver shows signs of tarnish after a few weeks. I think they are using just the standard, 25 mils. in both the Plat./Rhod. They most likely use more the higher the price of the item.
2 x