Concealing information on gemstones

Victoria

Concealing information on gemstones

Post by Victoria » 3 years ago

I ordered what I thought was a natural Burmese ruby ring from shoplc. Whilst on amazon comparing prices on Burmese ruby rings, I noticed that the ring that I ordered was also on shoplc's amazon store. The info on shoplc's amazon listing, listed of the same exact ring, however the description stated that the ruby had been dyed and heat treated, even the zircons were heat treated. I am wondering why this information is withheld on the shoplc.com listing? This makes me afraid to do any further business with this company and I usually make large weekly purchases. As a gem collector, I feel cheated that you guys sell enhanced stones as natural and do not inform your customers of this. It really makes a difference because the gia does not recognize stones enhanced by man as authentic, so technically I purchased a pile of costume jewelry from your company unknowingly and this upsets me. Is there any way that shoplc can be more transparent about the treatment of their stones? Because they are about to lose a good customer if they are not more transparent about their gemstones.
by DiehardLCcustomer » 3 years ago
The point is not any of these thing everyone is saying about price and value it's about being dealt with in a semi-honest fashion at the least. I shop almost daily and am a long time customer but I * all the time because of dishonesty, misleading customers and flat out being frauds when it comes to certain procedures they employ and selling tactics they pull. They offer a great product and are quite the group of mostly good people so pushing the 30 day returns /refunds on under $10 Friday is just asking to turn off would be long time customers who walk away bitter. It's not necessary, under $10 is exceptional, the host very entertaining and the product shipped out mostly a value that people are pleased with especially since the alternative at this price is plastic and spray paint. Why....why...why do these things that are not worth the customers you might get to buy a darn necklace to only have them discover they get back $3 of the $13 they spend.... There are tons of people who don't know it's too good to be true with the speal they go on about having no middle man. I was kinda one of these people but thanks to my willingness to read and learn I have uncovered a great many tricks and ways of lying. All said and done, I still shop because I know what I am getting but I stay angry spotting the smoke and mirrors as well as the horribly under qualified, destructive and wasteful way they operate. No, they are no QVC and it shows finding things such as this.....being transparent will increase sales and see them maintain over time far better than the bait and switch ( the opposite of accepted legitimate co.'s here in the USA faced with the foreign approach (of certain not all) approach of using the beg forgiveness/ignorance instead of ask permission mentality).
Go to full post
8 x

shopLC_alex

Re: Concealing information on gemstones

Post by shopLC_alex » 3 years ago

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused, of course it is never our intention to mislead any of our customers and we would love to rectify this situation as soon as possible. If you would be so kind could you please email alex.washington@tjc.tv with the item number of the merchandise in question and we'll get this fixed right away.
2 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

Victoria wrote:
3 years ago
I ordered what I thought was a natural Burmese ruby ring from shoplc. Whilst on amazon comparing prices on Burmese ruby rings, I noticed that the ring that I ordered was also on shoplc's amazon store. The info on shoplc's amazon listing, listed of the same exact ring, however the description stated that the ruby had been dyed and heat treated, even the zircons were heat treated. I am wondering why this information is withheld on the shoplc.com listing? This makes me afraid to do any further business with this company and I usually make large weekly purchases. As a gem collector, I feel cheated that you guys sell enhanced stones as natural and do not inform your customers of this. It really makes a difference because the gia does not recognize stones enhanced by man as authentic, so technically I purchased a pile of costume jewelry from your company unknowingly and this upsets me. Is there any way that shoplc can be more transparent about the treatment of their stones? Because they are about to lose a good customer if they are not more transparent about their gemstones.
While I agree with you about disclosing gem treatments, 95% of all gemstones are treated, either heated, irradiated. The GIA doesn't recognize Fissure filling a gem as natural. I myself wouldn't be able to afford a large Ruby or sapphire if not for the treatments they go through. Non treated rubies and sapphires are quite expensive and it's usually high end collectors that are willing to shell out that kind of cash.
9 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 3 years ago

I am so sorry this happened to you. But , on the other hand, it was to be expected based on their price.I made some research after I received in the past a Burmese ruby ring and was so disappointed when receiving it...even without expertise it seems a fake one and I had sent it back. I would not risk buying anything like precious gem stones from them. I usually buy semi precious stones like amethyst, citrine, topaz and I know they are treated but at least I pay little prices And enjoy wearing them.I would not invest anything in on line precious stones jewelery.I would buy only from a good jewelry shop where I first can see and take my time to negotiate and research.Pearls are one of the biggest disappointments in the long term if you buy on line and I am speaking from experience.
7 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 3 years ago

I had researched LC’s Burmese rubies a while back. They no longer sell Mogok rubies unless they’re high end pieces. They now sell Burmese rubies from a different mine; the education page reflects this but aren’t clear on enhancements I googled too. Also the emeralds are dyed and filled and it’s not a long lasting treatment. I wanted more emeralds and rubies but won’t buy because of this new information. I’m like you, I really want real gems, not wannabe’s.
7 x

DiehardLCcustomer
Answers: 1

Post by DiehardLCcustomer » 3 years ago

The point is not any of these thing everyone is saying about price and value it's about being dealt with in a semi-honest fashion at the least. I shop almost daily and am a long time customer but I * all the time because of dishonesty, misleading customers and flat out being frauds when it comes to certain procedures they employ and selling tactics they pull. They offer a great product and are quite the group of mostly good people so pushing the 30 day returns /refunds on under $10 Friday is just asking to turn off would be long time customers who walk away bitter. It's not necessary, under $10 is exceptional, the host very entertaining and the product shipped out mostly a value that people are pleased with especially since the alternative at this price is plastic and spray paint. Why....why...why do these things that are not worth the customers you might get to buy a darn necklace to only have them discover they get back $3 of the $13 they spend.... There are tons of people who don't know it's too good to be true with the speal they go on about having no middle man. I was kinda one of these people but thanks to my willingness to read and learn I have uncovered a great many tricks and ways of lying. All said and done, I still shop because I know what I am getting but I stay angry spotting the smoke and mirrors as well as the horribly under qualified, destructive and wasteful way they operate. No, they are no QVC and it shows finding things such as this.....being transparent will increase sales and see them maintain over time far better than the bait and switch ( the opposite of accepted legitimate co.'s here in the USA faced with the foreign approach (of certain not all) approach of using the beg forgiveness/ignorance instead of ask permission mentality).
5 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 3 years ago

Their Burmese rubíes are fissure filled or glass filled. A man-made composite and no longer natural according to GIA. I have Burmese Ruby earrings that I bought thinking the stone was natural, but it wasn’t. I will no longer buy any ruby, unless is heated only.
6 x

Moderator_Preston
Answers: 1

Post by Moderator_Preston » 3 years ago

DiehardLCcustomer wrote:
3 years ago
Good morning,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. I have passed it along to our TV presentations and returns team so they can keep this in mind for the future. In regards to any gemstone enhancements, you can find them all at https://www.shoplc.com/education/gemsto ... ments-list. I hope you have a beautiful Memorial day!
1 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 3 years ago

I have Burmese rubies purchased from SLC several years ago. They are beautiful but I was extremely upset and disappointed with SLC . Because I thought the gemstones I purchased were "all natural" will never know for sure where my Burmese rubies were mined so I'll never really be sure about the quality now.
8 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 3 years ago

I found out about their Burmese Ruby when I took mine to a jeweler and was informed it was glass filled, I called customer service and found out some are and some are not but the host continue to say they are high end and natural so either the host do not know about gems as they claim or they are out right being dishonest to make a sale. When I found out about my ring it was 3 years ago and I was told by customer service that they would let the host know but nothing has changed so either the host just continue and knowingly to be deceptive or no one ever talked to them and per usual nothing changes. There is a difference between flux filled and fissure filled however, the GIA does not recognize fissure filled as a real ruby but they do accept flux filled, flux filled id the ruby itself heated to a high temperature and it fills itself without the use of glass and the treatment is permanent unlike fissure filled which is filled with glass and is not stable and weakens the ruby. I did pose the question to the host Karen one time and she did say shop lc uses glass fissure filling, she was honest but all the others always say how high end their rubies are, they can not be high end if filled with glass period! Many do not even know what the FF next to the word ruby means, I posted just last week on shop lc's Facebook page while they were selling Niassa ruby that it is glass filled when the host were saying they were high end and a customer got angry with me and called me a liar and proceeded to tell me how beautiful all her Niassa Rubies are and that they are all high end and what a great deal they are, so clerly some people have no idea what the FF means. The same goes for dyed Burmese Jade.
6 x