ESPIRITO SANTO AQUAMARINE Question

Peterthepooh

ESPIRITO SANTO AQUAMARINE Question

Post by Peterthepooh » 3 years ago

"In 1953, Brazil gifted a necklace with matching pendant and earrings made of aquamarines and diamonds to Queen Elizabeth II as a coronation gift. It took an entire year to gather and perfectly match the stones. The queen loved the gift so much that she commissioned a matching tiara in 1957."

Was there any documented evidence that the Aquamarine Tiara given to the Queen from the Brazil Government were from the Espirito Santo Mines?

Thanks
Peter
8 x

Tothemoon

Re: ESPIRITO SANTO AQUAMARINE Question

Post by Tothemoon » 3 years ago

The statement you typed is from SLC’s education center. I didn’t take it to mean that Queen Elizabeth’s stones came from the Espírito Santo mine but I can see how it could be misleading. I can find nothing on the internet that says specifically which mine in Brazil her stones came from. But I must say that I am not impressed with the only Espírito Santo aquamarine ring that I purchased from SLC. It looks more like goshenite or white topaz. There is absolutely no blue in it. Luckily I got it for a very reasonable price on the auction site a few years ago.
8 x

Peterthepooh

Post by Peterthepooh » 3 years ago

Thanks for the information and your experience with Espirito Santo Aquamarine. I also researched the Internet and found no reference of the Queen's Aquamarine Tiara being ES Aqua. I suppose if I reach on the year (1950s) and maybe cross reference with when the ES Mines first opened then maybe I can at least assume it could be from there. Was doing a research paper and trying to gather evidence. Not much response at all.

Thanks

peter
9 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 3 years ago

i returned a set that bought from ShopLC couple of years ago. The aquamarines were too light, almost with no color. But I gifted my mom Santamaría Aquamarine loose gems which is a shade darker than the Espírito Santo. The gems were made into earrings. They are beautiful.
7 x

Sea_Hag

Post by Sea_Hag » 3 years ago

What is the jewelry industry standard color for aquamarine? Traditionally, anything I've seen is an icy blue, however, I purchased an Iliana aquamarine ring and the blue is more like a light London Blue topaz, much deeper than an icy blue. I love it, but am not sure if I understand what the ideal, sought-after color in aquarmarines is, as determined by the jewelry industry.
6 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 3 years ago

Sea Hag, the GIA says the most valuable colors are dark blue, which in their picture resembles Swiss blue topaz, to slightly greenish blue, which could resemble a lighter London blue topaz like you described. The GIA says the more pure and intense the blue color is the more valuable it is.
6 x

honey

Post by honey » 3 years ago

I think that all of SLC's Aquamarines are toooooooo light.
One lesson in that was a pair of earrings that upon seeing
them at home, were white! :roll:
8 x

Sea_Hag

Post by Sea_Hag » 3 years ago

@Tothemoon Thank you for clearing that up! Yes, the ring I bought from the Iliana collection resembles Swiss Blue topaz in color/hue. I appreciate the explanation and have always wondered because as I said, previously, other places I've seen aquamarine jewelry it's always an icy blue color. :)
7 x