Has anyone had diamond jewelry from LC appraised?

zuzu

Has anyone had diamond jewelry from LC appraised?

Post by zuzu » 3 years ago

This is my first time visiting Shop LC and I bought a $ 4,000 diamond ring. I was wondering if anyone has had an item appraise for the LC "retail" price ($4,000) or for much lower/higher. Thank you in advance.
5 x

silleemee

Re: Has anyone had diamond jewelry from LC appraised?

Post by silleemee » 3 years ago

My experience with jewelry appraisals, not SLC's, shows appraisal values are much higher than their retail values. In other words appraisals seem to always be inflated especially for diamonds which have a low resale value anyway unless the stone is exceptional...like big and flawless. So when the LC says to get your ring, or whatever, appraised then most likely the appraisal will come back considerably higher than what you paid for it and many times the appraisal can be as much as 100% more than what it cost at retail. Most diamonds are not considered to be a good financial investment...you will never make money reselling them and probably lose.
5 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 3 years ago

The reason the appraisals come in really high is because most people get an insurance appraisal which is always higher then retail value. If you want the retail value then you need to tell the jeweler that you want the actual retail value and not the insurance value, there is a big difference.
10 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@zuzu

If you are talking about the ERV (Estimated Retail Value) I have to tell you those at SLC are very inflated. I sincerely hope you didn't pay more than $800, at the maximum $1.000, for your ring or you got taken.

Gem Lover is exactly right about appraisals. If you intend to keep it and not sell it go with the insurance appraisal and then insure it for that.
7 x