Which gems would you like to see in the next show?

Gemsnob

Re: Which gems would you like to see in the next show?

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Kittycat wrote:
4 years ago
Tsavorite garnet I have gotten some reasonably priced from other channels so why shop LC can't get it reasonable I don't understand.
They call it "mint garnet". Know the saying the three most important things about a gem are color, color and color? Well, here they take gems with poor saturation, give them a fancy name and people fall over themselves to buy them. Example: Imperial garnet. Nothing but pale, colorless garnet they are convincing people has value.
1 x

Debby2960

Post by Debby2960 » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Kittycat wrote:
4 years ago
Tsavorite garnet I have gotten some reasonably priced from other channels so why shop LC can't get it reasonable I don't understand.
They call it "mint garnet". Know the saying the three most important things about a gem are color, color and color? Well, here they take gems with poor saturation, give them a fancy name and people fall over themselves to buy them. Example: Imperial garnet. Nothing but pale, colorless garnet they are convincing people has value.
Gemsnob,
You, my dear, are 100% correct. I have some beautiful tsavorites, both set and loose, that are stunning in hue and saturation, why you would think you were holding a fine emerald. While I understand LeVian's trademark of "Chocolate" diamonds (to specify the range of color that they use), they went insane with renaming EVERYTHING from gems to gold and now everyone seems to want to trademark or rename gems. I'll stick to geological locations for the naming of my gemstones, thank you very much.
3 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

Mint garnet does have a following. At one of the big trade shows, vendors were busy changing the tag on their tsavorites to mint when the craze hit. That's just crazy. I was watching GSN yesterday and they were showing what I would have sworn were tsavorites only they were humongous - like 10 carats. Come to find out they were peridots from the Zagbargad Island off the coast of Egypt. Not a drop of yellow and absolutely gorgeous.
2 x

Gemsnob

Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
Mint garnet does have a following. At one of the big trade shows, vendors were busy changing the tag on their tsavorites to mint when the craze hit. That's just crazy. I was watching GSN yesterday and they were showing what I would have sworn were tsavorites only they were humongous - like 10 carats. Come to find out they were peridots from the Zagbargad Island off the coast of Egypt. Not a drop of yellow and absolutely gorgeous.
But its not mint garnet which is tsaverite that normally no one would buy. I wonder if you saw the extremely loud bald guy on GSN? He brings beautiful jewelry but one of the worst on that network as 99% of them are screamers.
1 x

Lulu

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
But its not mint garnet which is tsaverite that normally no one would buy. I wonder if you saw the extremely loud bald guy on GSN? He brings beautiful jewelry but one of the worst on that network as 99% of them are screamers.
Mint and tsavorite are both grossular so one can claim that mint is just the watered down version of tsavorite. I bought a mint garnet ring from Gemporia that very nearly approaches my tsavorites (some would call it tsavorite). I've bought mint garnet from SLC that clearly is not in the same league.

I don't really know the vendors there other than the guy who represents the Lance Fischer line - Don Kogen and Ronnie Molloy. Someone was selling huge neon apatites from Brazil and red apatites yesterday. I'd never seen a red apatite. I'd never seen a ten carat neon apatite, either. Am used to the petite sizes the shopping channels claim are "HUGE!".
3 x

Gemsnob

Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
Mint and tsavorite are both grossular so one can claim that mint is just the watered down version of tsavorite. I bought a mint garnet ring from Gemporia that very nearly approaches my tsavorites (some would call it tsavorite). I've bought mint garnet from SLC that clearly is not in the same league.

I don't really know the vendors there other than the guy who represents the Lance Fischer line - Don Kogen and Ronnie Molloy. Someone was selling huge neon apatites from Brazil and red apatites yesterday. I'd never seen a red apatite. I'd never seen a ten carat neon apatite, either. Am used to the petite sizes the shopping channels claim are "HUGE!".
Thats the guy. Ronnie Molloy used to sell color change Turkish Diosphore on JTV until he hooked up with Lance or maybe its a contract thing with networks and his contract with JTV expired.
2 x

Lulu

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago

Thats the guy. Ronnie Molloy used to sell color change Turkish Diosphore on JTV until he hooked up with Lance or maybe its a contract thing with networks and his contract with JTV expired.
Ronnie was selling Zultanite (Czarite) at JTV one week and at GSN the next. When the host tried to get him to say that GSN had the exclusive, Ronnie dodged the question. JTV still has some inventory. I had bought one of the Zultanites in a round cut and returned it as there was very little to any color change. So even though Zultanite is supposed to be the cream of the crop, it obviously varies according to the stone or the venue.
2 x

Gemsnob

Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Lulu wrote:
4 years ago

Ronnie was selling Zultanite (Czarite) at JTV one week and at GSN the next. When the host tried to get him to say that GSN had the exclusive, Ronnie dodged the question. JTV still has some inventory. I had bought one of the Zultanites in a round cut and returned it as there was very little to any color change. So even though Zultanite is supposed to be the cream of the crop, it obviously varies according to the stone or the venue.
Ok. I never made a purchase and didnt watch much as he was often on with Scott who drives me nuts. I dont know how I got that mixed up.
1 x