Impregnated Welo opals? Mod PLEASE ANSWER

Lulu

Re: Impregnated Welo opals? Mod PLEASE ANSWER

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

SueB wrote:
4 years ago
Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
Those tarnish free jewelry boxes might be putting off a chemical which could be absorbed by the opal. I don't keep mine in a tarnish free box and have had no problems.
For how long LuLu?? Took 2,3 yrs for mine to turn, I don’t do kitchen, yard, don’t smoke.... I take care of my jewelry so maybe it is the tarnish free boxes? But wouldn’t the tarnish paper do same? Also I read here somewhere Cheryl said they change over time?
Mine go back to 2014.

You know, I've read that before the Welo opals came on the scene, there were some Ethiopian opals from a more northern area that may have been altered. I'm wondering if the non-Welo Ethiopians are the ones having the yellowing problem. To my knowledge, ShopLC only carries the Welo opals.
1 x

TerryTalk

Re: Impregnated Welo opals? Mod PLEASE ANSWER

Post by TerryTalk » 4 years ago

I wonder if it’s possible that the opals changing color are coated with some type of material that sometimes changes color over time? Just a thought... I truly do not believe that the color of the metal (or the purity of the metal— sterling vs. 10K—14K—18K gold makes any difference.) If opals changing color was happening very frequently and/or to many consumers there would be an uproar, not to mention class action lawsuits 😊. I really feel bad for anyone that experiences color change with their opals—not cool at all! I hate to say this, but it makes me wonder about the vendor that sold the items—-or it’s an unfortunate accident that each consumer made with the item. IMO, if a person owns opals and only one or some change color and they care for them well and equally—then it stands to reason that the source of the stone comes in to question regarding possible reasons for the color change. Metal color, metal purity, anti-tarnish strips or not, smoking/vaping, cooking in your home, IMO are NOT going to change the color of Ethiopian Opals. I hope I am not making anyone angry stating the above, it’s not my intention. Thanks!
2 x