the piece pronto. Consumers do not
walk around with a metal purity testing
kit. Also, if it isn’t grade stamped with
metal purity one cannot sell it as sterling
1 x

CC

Re: Bali items

Post by CC » 4 years ago

I actually had a disagreement with a lady at our local flea market regarding this issue. She had a bracelet she was selling but it had no stamp. She said it was tested Sterling silver. To me it looked like Sterling but I kept insisting it had to have .925 stamp to be sold in USA. She kept insisting it did not. Well needless to say she told me I could look it up myself and I would see. I did not buy bracelet, went straight home, looked up info and much to my surprise she was right , I was wrong..
1 x

Blazemom

Post by Blazemom » 4 years ago

I received a piece of Sam Benham jewelry from Shop HQ several years ago that did not have the 925 stamp. I called them and was told that it isn't legally required and sometimes with handmade jewelry especially, a piece might slip through without the stamp. I did verify online that it's not required by law.
2 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

These are not small items where they do not have room for a stamp, they are pendants and range from around 2 1/2" to 3 1/2 so there would have been plenty of room on the back of the pendants.
1 x

TerryTalk

Post by TerryTalk » 4 years ago

Well Gem Lover like I said earlier—I am not interested in sterling silver jewelry that is not stamped— whether it’s required or not. Your pieces obviously are big enough to be stamped! But I have tiny charms and really small stud earrings that are still stamped! Granted, I need a loupe to see it on the tiny pieces—-but the stamps are there! I think most people expect the pieces to be stamped for sterling—just like they want it for gold!
4 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

I’m tired of being scammed. If it isn’t
stamped I don’t buy it. I go to the gem
shows and have been to the Tucson show
as well and nothing there was unstamped.
Just saying that a reputable seller will have
grade stamped their pieces
1 x

TerryTalk

Like I have been saying people expect the pieces to be stamped sterling when they are buying sterling—- so I don’t care if it’s not legally required. Geez... check your pieces.... but don’t think I am going to be able to carry my gem/silver testing kit with me all the time 🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪🤪lol
1 x

TerryTalk

I am done with this thread—-I bet this gets locked down ASAP 🙃🤣🙂😅😄😆
1 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

@Terrytalk: The mods locked my thread of Ruby: Fissure filled or thread. It's pretty obvious why they did it. I noticed that I one of my pieces bought on Etsy is not stamp, but the other is. Some people said that if Sterling Silver is not attracted to magnets it's fake. That's not true. If your Sterling Silver is not attracted to magnet is because the metal doesn't have nickel. I learnt that on a YouTube video where a gemologist was explaining how to test Sterling Silver.
Last edited by Margui 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x