Re: Disclosing gems treatments

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Kb wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Kb wrote:
4 years ago
Most gemstones have some type of treatment. I know this but I still buy because of the beauty of the stone. I buy to wear because I love jewelry. Not an investment. I have enough real.gold for that. Jewelry makes me happy know matter what treatment it has. Yes all natural is better. But I'm okay with dyed, coated, impregnated, fissure filled. Go look into another shopping network list to find your answers. Just my opinion
@kb: Yes, it's your opinion, which I respect. But I'm not going to pay higher prices for heavily treated gemstones. They are belong in custom jewelry, and they are not valuable, nor durable. But ShopLC has great prices on Garnets, peridots, labradorites and white howlite which are not treated. I'm not against heat treated only rubies or sapphires, they still have their natural properties like their 9 hardness in the Mohs Scale.

Edited by moderator to remove light blue font color as it is extremely difficult to read on a white background.
Margui
I'm not spending alot on the jewelry I'm talking about. I would be angry if I spent a lot to find out a gemstone was treated when shoplc said it wasnt. I own a good bit of jewelry thsts not treated and some that has coating or fissure filled rubies. My favorite is there different quartz thsts created. I just love pretty jewelry and lots of it. My hubby says I have enough rings to wear a different onefor every day of the year. Why argue he is right. Lol
It's logical. I would be angry (obviously) too, if I bought a certain gem that they said that is natural, when in fact is not. That happened with the Burmese Rubies; the hosts said that it wasn't fissure filled. Also I ask an agent, one of them said "No" and the other said "Yes". Until I read their Education page. The agent who told me "Yes" was right. Keep enjoying your pieces of jewelry, I do that, too. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Margui 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

The fissure filled rubies and ilikaka pink sapphires do look pretty, but Shoplc needs to disclose ALL fissure filled stones because, they are filled with glass and if they are cleaned by a home or professional ultrasonic machine, they most likely are going to explode. That happened in my case last year with a over $200 necklace. It was more then 30 days, so I was out the money. Since then I dont trust the hosts, since even the gem experts either dont know or lie that certain gems are not fissure filled, as Tenner did with Mundarara Rubies. Since then, I google the gems, plus I ask customer service to inquire at Shoplc’s Education site. If you just want to wear pretty jewelry, and you get a good deal, thats fine, as long as you know the treatments weaken the stone, and you need to take extra care. They have very little monetary value, so dont expect to be able to get more money then you paid for it, if the buyer is aware its fissure filled, etc.
1 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

Spooky wrote:
4 years ago
Moderator_Stephanie wrote:
4 years ago
Vicky wrote:
4 years ago
I had the same issue with MUNDARARA Rubies. Shoplc made a big presentation of the Mundarara rubies last year. I bought a pair of mundarara earrings, because even after I googled it and it said it WAS fissure filled, I asked Tenner in a text, and he said on air to my question, that it WAS NOT fissure filled. At the same time I emailed shoplc customer service, just to make sure. They referred me to their education site which state that MUNDARARA Rubies ARE FISSURE FILLED. I was angry that Tenner the Gem expert didn’t know that.
In regards to rubies, it all depends on WHEN the items were purchased as rubies can be all natural with no treatment, or undergo heat treatment or fissure filling. As we stated in the ruby thread, this is an issue that we are addressing to make the gemstone treatments clearer for customers.

For example, all of the stones in a show we do in July may be heat treated only, however another show we do in September may feature stones that are fissure filled.

We are absolutely working on updating our Education center and disclosure practices to be clearer as to which stones have received what treatment, especially regarding rubies.
I hear what you’re saying Stephanie but the
problem remains. The online description of
the item is still not correct. No one at SLC is
writing or updating the descriptions. Even if
there is a show with only say heat treated
rubies or sapphires, the descriptions don’t tell
the viewer this information. When we write into
the forum and ask about it, the moderator
automatic response is ‘check our gem treatments’
page on SLC’. Gem treatments are being updated
all the time and the website should be update
in accordance with what’s going on in the world.
Frankly, a heat only ruby/sapphire is worth a lot
more to me than a fracture filled one. This is true
in the gemstone world market as well.

We are currently working on updating all of our information so that we can be more transparent regarding which treatments stones for a particular item have undergone, if any. This is a huge undertaking and will take time for us to get it implemented on the thousands of different items that we well. Thank you so much for your patience while we work on providing this information.
0 x

Yiayia11

Post by Yiayia11 » 4 years ago

If you check, most all real gems have something done to them.. the other shopping channels don’t even mention treatments done to their stones.. in fact if they do, it’s pretty rare.. Buy your jewelry because you love it, if your buying for investment only, research before you buy... that’s my only suggestion... check your jewelry stores, see what they are selling...
1 x