Ruby Smackdown

Margui

Re: Ruby Smackdown

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
While I do not typically like rubies it could be that I have yet to see a design that speaks to me.

In light of there being a smackdown tomorrow (wish it was not all day)...I wonder if the items presented will be clearly labeled with whatever enhancements they may have.

I checked out the SLC enhancement list. It says, for instance, that Burmese rubies are either heated OR, heated and fissure filled. There are three lines incorporating Burmese rubies with different enhancements.

So some may be only heat, some may have more. If there will not be full disclosure - on screen - of the enhancements I certainly will not be watching or buying. At all.
The question is which rubies are heated only. I won't buy any of them until proper disclosure of treatment is given
2 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Most rubies today are FF as per the research I did. If you buy a Ruby because it looks nice, then treat them with kid gloves. They are very fragile. Have no resale value. Unfortunately, the article I want to attach, I have to cut out alot of important material.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 4 years ago

I would not advise anyone to buy rubies that bear names like Niassa or Mahaleo : they are all fissure filled or lead healed basically you buy a stone filled with 99 per cent glass. In general all rubies are heated but those heated are of better quality than those fissure field.Indian rubies are cheap because of their low quality: brown red and no transparency. I do not trust any seller who does not disclose the stone tratements.A Cheap price is a huge flag about the quality of the stones such as rubies or saphyres.
4 x

TeddyBear

Rubies...

Post by TeddyBear » 4 years ago

I've always been aware that the rubies are FF and/or heated. Yes, it should be specified. I do try to be careful with my purchases. I recently purchased a pair of ruby earrings. Frankly they are lovely and I was pleased when I received them. They are oval hoops, and the stones were quite pretty. :)
2 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

Lab grown rubies are beautiful and test as genuine rubies. The one I have is more the color of the Niassa ruby rather than the Burmese pigeon's blood. Not many of us can afford a museum quality stone which is what a no-heat, fine quality and nice sized ruby would qualify as. Buy what you like knowing that none of this stuff is particularly valuable or even worthy of being called 'inheritance' jewelry.
4 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

I recently purchased from shoplc a Burmese Ruby & diamond ring that was shown with a retail value of $2000.00 and I was pleased with the purchase price, thought I was getting an exceptional deal. This same ring is now being shown at a much lower price than what I paid but, that is not what is bothering me and making me feel not only angry, but rather stupid....its the fact that the rings retail value is now listed as $560.00. How in the world has the value of this ring dropped so drastically???? Please explain
3 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
LisaC2019 wrote:
4 years ago
Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
They use to put FF on the TV graphics for the African ruby and told everyone that the Burmese were just heated, now they do not put even the FF up on the graphics anymore. We all found out that even the Burmese are FF. I found out when I took an expensive one to the jewelers.
They must have read your post Gem Lover because the (FF) is listed on the graphics for the TLV!!!
LisaC2019: The mods read my thread about Rubies and locked it. It seems that this issue bothers them, they don't recognize the FF rubies are composite stones that lost its natural properties and value. Before the Fisure- Filled treatments, these rubies were discarded because of poor quality and not fit for jewelry.

We did not lock the topic because it bothered us. We locked it because we provided the information that we have accepted all of the feedback and posted that we are working to get our information updated for our gemstones, rubies in particular, to be more transparent as to which stones in each batch of jewelry have received what type of treatment.
0 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

Vicky wrote:
4 years ago
Oh no, they are just trying to get us to buy the necklaces by using hungry kids to convince us to buy. Most companies give charity, which they deduct on their taxes, but dont use the charities to pull at viewers heartstrings. In America our Govt gives FREE school meals to needy kids. The video of the india kids show well dressed kids. Not underweight. It’s the third world countries that the kids are starving. Dont even have shoes to get to school. I wish SLC would partner with charitable organizations to help those kids. PLEASE HELP THOSE KIDS !! Btw- lots of Burma rubies are FF.
I had to cut off alot of info from the article, because this site kept on claiming its too large. Im sooo upset. I thought Burma rubies were oiled but not fissure filled 😖
Good morning Vicky. We do apologize if you did not see the post that we made in another topic regarding our One For One program. Here it is again:

Our One for One program does more than provide a meal. Our mission is not just to feed hungry kids, but to attract them to school and allow them to learn without the burden of being hungry. In India, many families have to make a choice between sending their children to school or sending them to work to provide money for the family. Because of our efforts, kids in India can afford to go to school where they can eat and learn. These children often take left over food home to siblings and family members. This makes a difference, because kids in the schools we serve get a least one hot meal a day verses not going to school and working on the street to provide food for the family. The situation is similar in the US. Yes, US government provides kids with hot lunches, but we’ve found there are many communities where kids do not come to school because they do not have breakfast and may not have had dinner the night before. Absenteeism is high, kids have more visits to the nurse and more disciplinary issues. Through No Kids Hungry, less fortunate community schools are able to provide kids with breakfast so they have something to look forward to when they get to school and are set up for success. Teachers and administrators in both countries comment on the level of focus kids have and the difference that is made when kids have a full belly. If these programs didn’t exist, these kids may not have the same opportunity. Our goal is to not just feed kids, but put an end to generational poverty by providing an environment where they can learn and change their lives.
1 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Moderator_Stephanie wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago
LisaC2019 wrote:
4 years ago

They must have read your post Gem Lover because the (FF) is listed on the graphics for the TLV!!!
LisaC2019: The mods read my thread about Rubies and locked it. It seems that this issue bothers them, they don't recognize the FF rubies are composite stones that lost its natural properties and value. Before the Fisure- Filled treatments, these rubies were discarded because of poor quality and not fit for jewelry.

We did not lock the topic because it bothered us. We locked it because we provided the information that we have accepted all of the feedback and posted that we are working to get our information updated for our gemstones, rubies in particular, to be more transparent as to which stones in each batch of jewelry have received what type of treatment.
When a post is locked, you mods put something like this: "As we solved this situation, this thread will be locked" I never saw that. That's why I believed that it was bothering you. Thank you for clarifying this.
2 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

The only Grandidierite that has resale value are the 3ct solitaires, AAA grade, translucent to transparent. Even SLC sold a 3ct grandidierite for $20,000. But Cheryl showing comps of the prices of collectors stones. Plus im sure Cheryl is aware that the Tanzanite mines are open, with finished stones on sale to the public
5 x