Re;Opal

Opal1010

Re;Opal

Post by Opal1010 » 4 years ago

The prices for the Opal are a rip off , it should be no more than 35 dollars per caret. I just bought one 7.54 caret with pin-fire pattern that's beautiful. The thing they had on TV was a milky wash out , it hurt to see the people buying it . Study your gems people . Very dissatisfied LC, but hey bravo for the "barking" .
5 x

Spooky

Re: Re;Opal

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Opal1010 wrote:
4 years ago
The prices for the Opal are a rip off , it should be no more than 35 dollars per caret. I just bought one 7.54 caret with pin-fire pattern that's beautiful. The thing they had on TV was a milky wash out , it hurt to see the people buying it . Study your gems people . Very dissatisfied LC, but hey bravo for the "barking" .
Can you tell me your experiences with opal?
Many customers here and on the web are
having their opals turn a gross golden yellow.
Has this ever happened to you? Do you only
buy Australian opal or all kinds?
4 x

Ginger

Post by Ginger » 4 years ago

I purchased the regular Australia opal a few years ago and it’s a cloudy mess, nothing like when I bought it and it’s several of our grandsons birthstone. I stopped buying it and have a few of the Welo Opal and so far so good. But they didn’t look like what was shown on air, lots smaller when I got it. I felt deceived by this and haven’t bought anymore. I am looking at the other channel and especially with 6 budget payments
3 x

SueB

Post by SueB » 4 years ago

See if you can find some boulder opal are from Australia and a blue background w/ lots of other color sparkles inside of it. They are usually a triplet because so thin( on ironstone with quartz layers to protect it. They are the prettiest opal if you like blue. Ethiopian opal s used to be good until they quit selling rough and now only sell cut stones, color variety and quantity is lacking unless you want spend a lil more. Australian white opals the same way only they don’t turn yellow... the more you spend the better quality. Good luck!!!
1 x

2Blonde

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

Spooky wrote:
4 years ago
Opal1010 wrote:
4 years ago
Can you tell me your experiences with opal?
Many customers here and on the web are
having their opals turn a gross golden yellow.
Has this ever happened to you? Do you only
buy Australian opal or all kinds?
Yes, I've had some of the (mostly smaller) Ethiopian opals turn an ugly yellow or grey. They didn't all come from here, some of them came from other channels. I've not had a problem with the larger stones, but I would NEVER spend a lot of money on one in gold or platinum......I would be sooooo upset if it changed color. You really have to keep them from getting wet too.
2 x

Yiayia11

Post by Yiayia11 » 4 years ago

Yes, i have bought several of thos Welo Opals, why are they turning yellow, anyone have a clue? I’ve tried looking it up but not getting any real answers.. I think I even messaged Tenner once, but he didn’t respond.. at first I thought it was because it was in a jewelry box, no moisture, ?.. no answers. I also have some white Australian ones, they haven’t turned.. I’m assuming that’s the nature of the Opal, or is it? Answers anyone???
1 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

I read a newer article about opal treatments.
There are 2 processes, sugaring and smoking.
Neither seemed to enhance in my opinion.
I guess if you bought an opal triplet you
could be sure the color would be stable.
Personally I’d never buy anything unless
it was a black opal (has a dark background).
I just can’t justify spending money on something
that’ll discolor. I’d just hate it.
Also read another article on ammolite.
No one says anything here about treatments
but according to the Canadian Ammolite
producers almost all ammolite is treated
because it’s so fragile
2 x

SueB

Post by SueB » 4 years ago

Smoking is how they make a black Ethiopian opal. Ammolite has quartz layers like boulder opal. My new Ethiopian opal cross yellowed too!!! Never even wore!!! Less than a year old!?!?!? Arrrrggggghhhhh
3 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

First I was disappointed that my opal didn’t have the life the sample did. I left it in my jewelry case and its yellowed and even more lifeless. Too late to return. I’m starting to think that I should buy from programs like GSN that show you the actual item you will get. Most of the time they deal in high priced luxury jewels, but late at night, they show the less expensive items. I bought a opal and white sapphire pendant from them. It’s just like what they showed on tv. When we buy from companies that show a sample and then have hundreds more to sell, its foolish to believe the sample was picked at random. So, I expect that the one shipped to me will NOT look like the sample, but if its cheap enough, I take the chance that it still would be worth it
3 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

My ring with the small opals that turned yellow went back to normal after wearing it for a couple of days so maybe it needed moisture and it got to dry in the jewelry box. I also have six very large opals, all over 4 cts. that I got here and they have stayed beautiful, I have noticed the more you wear them the more color that shows up. I also have a beautiful dark body opal, it is like a dark grey and boy are the colors bright in that rin with a crazy amount of red, I purchased that one from another network. The large opals I got from here have great color play but I have had some I sent back but that was after shop lc stopped getting and cutting the material themselves.
2 x