Do not rely on hosts for your education

Gemsnob

Do not rely on hosts for your education

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Hosts work in retail and their only job is to dump product in your lap and empty your bank account. They arent our "friends" or our "family". We cannot rely on them to educate us about gemstones...not the value or collectabilty. For example, just because its Burmese doesnt make it valuable. Not when it comes to Jade or ruby. I know most of us realize this but Im baffled at how many dont do any research and then feel taken advantage of. If you would research a car purchase or an appliance then do the same with gems. Tanzanite is not extinct. Collectors have been hoarding it since its discovery and they will start selling off their collections at major profit. The very point of collecting.
8 x

LisaC2019

Re: Do not rely on hosts for your education

Post by LisaC2019 » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Hosts work in retail and their only job is to dump product in your lap and empty your bank account. They arent our "friends" or our "family". We cannot rely on them to educate us about gemstones...not the value or collectabilty. For example, just because its Burmese doesnt make it valuable. Not when it comes to Jade or ruby. I know most of us realize this but Im baffled at how many dont do any research and then feel taken advantage of. If you would research a car purchase or an appliance then do the same with gems. Tanzanite is not extinct. Collectors have been hoarding it since its discovery and they will start selling off their collections at major profit. The very point of collecting.
Agreed you should not totally rely on anyone that is selling for your education on that product. From what I have heard most of the education on Shop LC is about the actual gem with a few selling tactics thrown in like "mine is closed" or "no longer being mined" or "quality coming out now is not as good as ours" but the site does contain good basic "starter" information. It's just not being transferred over and presented during the on-air presentations unless a customer asks a question.
Last edited by LisaC2019 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Gemsnob

LisaC2019 wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Agreed you should not totally rely on anyone that is selling for your education on that product. From what I have heard most of the education on Shop LC is about the actual gem with a few selling tactics thrown in like "mine is closed" or "no longer being mined" or "quality coming out now is not as good as our" but the site does contain good basic "starter" information. It's just not being transferred over and presented during the on-air presentations unless a customer asks a question.
I agree. I think Shoplc has an Education area on their website and its very informative. Thats their point I think...they expect people to research and if they dont they will fall hook line and sinker. Hosts are there to sell and they use various tactics. I wouldnt expect or approve of any customer service person at a brick and mortor store doing a lot of what TV hosts do. Being loud, slamming fists on the table, cartwheels and back flips, hootin' and hollering while I shop. Puhleeze. Just show the product, be honest, have fun without being obnoxious. Why is that too much to ask?
Last edited by Gemsnob 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Unfortunately, once techniques became available to enhance stones to inprove color and clarity, and fill up badly cracked stones with glass. In the past these cracked stones could not be used in jewelry. The general public PROBABLY will buy beautiful looking stones that have been WORKED ON. I say if you are not buying the jewelry to resell it for a profit, or because you believe its valuable, then buy it to enjoy wearing it. Just be aware, the FF stones are very fragile, so handle with care. Its obvious the Hosts are hired to talk you into spending your money. If they tell you the truth, many wont buy, so they just leave out what you really need to know, to keep the stone from deteriorating.
At least 75% of stones since the 1980’s have been enhanced and most FF. So if you are not sure, just be careful with stones bought since the 1980’s when these enhancing methods were refined. Some opals are triplets. Dont be fooled by the name BURMESE RUBIES. Burma have their share of FF stones. I wouldn’t buy any JADE. Very few are as they were mined. There is a huge amount of Tanzanite available, as you can see how many smackdowns Shoplc does. So buy because you like the stone, not because you are scared into buying it, by the hosts. All my diamonds I bought from Shoplc are enhanced. I knew that, because the diamond prices are very closely controlled, so when you pay much less, there is a reason, not because SLC doesnt want to make a profit, or as they claim, sell it at a loss😏
3 x

Gemsnob

Vicky wrote:
4 years ago
Unfortunately, once techniques became available to enhance stones to inprove color and clarity, and fill up badly cracked stones with glass. In the past these cracked stones could not be used in jewelry. The general public PROBABLY will buy beautiful looking stones that have been WORKED ON. I say if you are not buying the jewelry to resell it for a profit, or because you believe its valuable, then buy it to enjoy wearing it. Just be aware, the FF stones are very fragile, so handle with care. Its obvious the Hosts are hired to talk you into spending your money. If they tell you the truth, many wont buy, so they just leave out what you really need to know, to keep the stone from deteriorating.
At least 75% of stones since the 1980’s have been enhanced and most FF. So if you are not sure, just be careful with stones bought since the 1980’s when these enhancing methods were refined. Some opals are triplets. Dont be fooled by the name BURMESE RUBIES. Burma have their share of FF stones. I wouldn’t buy any JADE. Very few are as they were mined. There is a huge amount of Tanzanite available, as you can see how many smackdowns Shoplc does. So buy because you like the stone, not because you are scared into buying it, by the hosts. All my diamonds I bought from Shoplc are enhanced. I knew that, because the diamond prices are very closely controlled, so when you pay much less, there is a reason, not because SLC doesnt want to make a profit, or as they claim, sell it at a loss😏
So true. Buy it because you like it. Not because it will be valuable one day or a family "heirloom".
3 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

I agree with that. Their Burmese rubies are not valuable nor rare. The name Burmese does not mean guarantee.
4 x

D-Flawless

Post by D-Flawless » 4 years ago

This is why I liked it so much better when there was only one host. Back in the early days I learned TONS about the Gemstones from Nicole, Becky and Dan etc. I even got so interested in gemstones that I looked into becoming a Graduate Gemologist at the GIA here in California! I wanted to design jewelry. Now I can’t even watch for more than 3 minutes at a time so I just shop online. That being said...there’s still no reason to be so harsh on the hosts! Good grief! They are just doing their job. As with ANY purchase everyone should always do their own research! That goes without saying.
1 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

One time Dan was presenting 8mm stud earrings in stainless steel (3 pair for $9.99) and as he came to the blue pair he incredulously declared "these are natural blue spinel) - he again incredulously said "natural". Even he couldn't believe that they were selling natural blue spinel set in steel for $3.33. I defy you to find natural blue spinel anywhere in the world for that price. Add about 2 zeroes.
1 x

Gemsnob

Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
One time Dan was presenting 8mm stud earrings in stainless steel (3 pair for $9.99) and as he came to the blue pair he incredulously declared "these are natural blue spinel) - he again incredulously said "natural". Even he couldn't believe that they were selling natural blue spinel set in steel for $3.33. I defy you to find natural blue spinel anywhere in the world for that price. Add about 2 zeroes.
Dan gave more false information than anyone there. I couldnt stand him. Brash, boastful, name dropping. He thought he invented the home shopping industry and wanted everyone to know it. Ugh
4 x

Gemsnob

D-Flawless wrote:
4 years ago
This is why I liked it so much better when there was only one host. Back in the early days I learned TONS about the Gemstones from Nicole, Becky and Dan etc. I even got so interested in gemstones that I looked into becoming a Graduate Gemologist at the GIA here in California! I wanted to design jewelry. Now I can’t even watch for more than 3 minutes at a time so I just shop online. That being said...there’s still no reason to be so harsh on the hosts! Good grief! They are just doing their job. As with ANY purchase everyone should always do their own research! That goes without saying.
I miss Nicole a lot. Dan, not so much. As for hosts doing their jobs, if they remain ethical instead of playing games and trying to trick people all in the name of "fun", then I agree with you. Shoplc hosts, most of them, have taken selling to a new low by treating us as if we are uneducated buyers than cannot spot a scheme. Its insulting at this point. What a shame that a network that used to be good AND fun has turned into this.
4 x