Sleeping Beauty Turquoise

Gem Lover

Sleeping Beauty Turquoise

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

I have often wondered if the stabilized Turquoise which is the Sleeping Beauty Turquoise that is sold here is less valuable because the host are always showing the chart at how much it has gone up and they are always saying how valuable it is, they show other items online to compare the price to theirs but keep in mind we do not know if the high price item is stabilized because the host does not tell us that, sort of when they compare their diamonds to higher priced ones online, they never tell us what the grade of the diamond is online. I did some research and found this on a website that does not use stabilized Turquoise and this is what it said: Natural Turquoise Is More Expensive Than Stabilized And Enhanced Turquoise
The price of Turquoise is often associated with it's rarity. For example, only slightly over 800lbs of the Blue Moon Turquoise I use in the Turquoise Legacy Collection has been removed from the mine to date, making Blue Moon Turquoise rarer than some of the other mines such as Royston, Kingman or Sleeping Beauty Turquoise.

Natural Turquoise is considered "Gem Quality" because it is hard enough to be cut into gemstones without stabilization or enhancement. There is always a large percentage of turquoise found in every mine that is not hard enough to cut, and the miners call it chalk (low grade turquoise) which is then stabilized or enhanced to make it hard enough to cut into gemstones

It's estimated that over 90-95% of the turquoise on the market today has been stabilized or enhanced. This is important to know when buying turquoise jewelry of any kind. For this reason, I offer a signed certificate of authenticity with each purchase.

Turquoise Is Stabilized Or Enhanced When It's Not Gem Quality & Is Far Cheaper Than Natural Turquoise
Turquoise Chalk can't be cut into gemstones without stabilization because it is far too soft. This super low grade turquoise is often sold very cheaply by the pound to processors who stabilize or enhance it to improve the color and density. Stabilized turquoise costs much less than natural turquoise and can be produced in large quantities.. Now I am not happy knowing that I have purchased items that are not what the host led me and others to believe, pretty much the same as the Burmese Jade.
5 x

RS

Re: Sleeping Beauty Turquoise

Post by RS » 4 years ago

The hosts are saying that the turquoise is stabilized? If they are saying it is then ShopLC has a problem. I just went through many items from the day and not ONE item in Sleeping Beauty Turquoise says it is a stabilized stone in the item description. Many people don’t watch the shows but order online. So not disclosing the fact about stabilization could be a legal issue. At the very least it will send people shopping elsewhere.
4 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

Same with many ruby pieces and other gemstones that are fissure filled.
4 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

I think Sleeping Beauty Turquoise is stabilized using the Zachary process. It's not reconstituted turquoise which is pieces of turquoise assembled. Then the citrines are "burned" amethysts because untreated citrine is rare. The hosts say that the Persian Turquoise is not treated. What about the Kingman and the Sonoran turquoises?
Natural turquoise tends to discolor. It would be fraudulent if the hosts would pass dyed Howlite as Turquoise. I think it would damage the ShopLC's reputation. They are not JTV when they were selling dyed Andesite as natural.
3 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Not all sleeping beauty is stabilized using the Zachary method. It depends on who processed the Stone. The Zachary method adds no color or resins to the turquoise. Michael Valitutti on Evine/shophq describes it as closing the pores of the Stone. There were some areas of the Bisbee mine in Arizona where the turquoise was hard naturally. The natural hardness and amazing color are what made Bisbee turquoise so valuable.
2 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Spooky wrote:
4 years ago
Not all sleeping beauty is stabilized using the Zachary method. It depends on who processed the Stone. The Zachary method adds no color or resins to the turquoise. Michael Valitutti on Evine/shophq describes it as closing the pores of the Stone. There were some areas of the Bisbee mine in Arizona where the turquoise was hard naturally. The natural hardness and amazing color are what made Bisbee turquoise so valuable.
Then the ShopLC should try to bring Bisbee turquoise to the show. So, the Zachary method doesn't alter the gems structure, right? I have some Sleeping beauty pieces and Sonoran turquoise pieces.
0 x