Who's Driving Up Prices in Auctions?

msplumuniq

Who's Driving Up Prices in Auctions?

Post by msplumuniq » 4 years ago

I'm a newbie here and to SLC. I'm reading reviews about fake gems and such, etc, and thinking, "Uh-oh." I ordered hubby a ring for Christmas on budget pay. Supposed to be a real black diamond. It's a large stone, so we assumed it meant zirconia. It says diamond, but that's unreal and makes no sense. I'll take it to a jeweler.

I like the two clothing items I've ordered so far, and have more in the way. Having said that, one "poncho" tore in the sleeve, it was NOT properly back stitched to prevent this. Fortunately, (since I paid so little) I can sew. I'll add solid backstitching reinforcements to the sleeves. Easy enough.

Anyway, my problem is with the auction handbags.
Sometimes, deals are reasonable. But last night, I was seeing crazy prices for faux leather like $38-$45, or more!! And the more expensive leather names, like Elsie, going past $100?!?

Who's the person/people doing this and why? I mean, hello, the same items sell on the site for half as much or a little more! I saw a Newage bag go for over twice the price as one that was the SAME model on the site!

I mean, either someone on the inside is driving bidding up, or too addicted to winning to care about price! But that's crazy either way. I go to the auctions for deals, not unrealistic price Wars! If these are legitimate bidders, then they're doing themselves AND the other bidders a disservice by inflating the prices! I saw one lady bid on a Sukriti handpainted bag for over $75 in the beginning of an auction (max bid). Same bag sells for $79.99. I can't recall how high it went in the end, but but it was over $100!!!
Over $100! That's just nonsensical. Why would anyone pay $20 more than regular price on an auction? Am I missing something here?

Admittedly, my first auction I overbid on something. But I quickly began checking routine prices. But I'm seeing this happen a LOT. I know this site inflates its "retail value" prices, and tells us we're getting a ton of savings. But when they sell the same items at 5%-10% of "retail value" on the site, people need to stop inflating the auction prices so some of us can get a good deal on certain items. I have gotten good deals-don't misunderstand, but I'm lost on the handbag issue...and some of the jewelry bidding also.

Any thoughts?
8 x

Gemaholic

Re: Who's Driving Up Prices in Auctions?

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

msplumuniq wrote:
4 years ago
I'm a newbie here and to SLC. I'm reading reviews about fake gems and such, etc, and thinking, "Uh-oh." I ordered hubby a ring for Christmas on budget pay. Supposed to be a real black diamond. It's a large stone, so we assumed it meant zirconia. It says diamond, but that's unreal and makes no sense. I'll take it to a jeweler.

I like the two clothing items I've ordered so far, and have more in the way. Having said that, one "poncho" tore in the sleeve, it was NOT properly back stitched to prevent this. Fortunately, (since I paid so little) I can sew. I'll add solid backstitching reinforcements to the sleeves. Easy enough.

Sometimes, deals are reasonable. But last night, I was seeing crazy prices for faux leather like $38-$45, or more!! And the more expensive leather names, like Elsie, going past $100?!?

Who's the person/people doing this and why? I mean, hello, the same items sell on the site for half as much or a little more! I saw a Newage bag go for over twice the price as one that was the SAME model on the site!

I mean, either someone on the inside is driving bidding up, or too addicted to winning to care about price! But that's crazy either way. I go to the auctions for deals, not unrealistic price Wars! If these are legitimate bidders, then they're doing themselves AND the other bidders a disservice by inflating the prices! I saw one lady bid on a Sukriti handpainted bag for over $75 in the beginning of an auction (max bid). Same bag sells for $79.99. I can't recall how high it went in the end, but but it was over $100!!!
Over $100! That's just nonsensical. Why would anyone pay $20 more than regular price on an auction? Am I missing something here?

Admittedly, my first auction I overbid on something. But I quickly began checking routine prices. But I'm seeing this happen a LOT. I know this site inflates its "retail value" prices, and tells us we're getting a ton of savings. But when they sell the same items at 5%-10% of "retail value" on the site, people need to stop inflating the auction prices so some of us can get a good deal on certain items. I have gotten good deals-don't misunderstand, but I'm lost on the handbag issue...and some of the jewelry bidding also.

Any thoughts?
There have been threads about this so you aren't alone. I actually gave up on RA because of this. I noticed some weird behavior for years. I tried recently and got lucky with one ring. After that, I gave up. I do see certain repeat offenders and others have called out there names here. Others have also suggested the same thing about someone on the inside driving the price up. I agree with that hypothesis since most intelligent people will check the regular website to see how much that item is being sold for. I can't tell you how many times I have seen stuff on RA be sold for double or even triple the price that you can get it for on the regular site!

I definitely would get your jewelry looked at by a certified appraiser. I will be taking action after my second or even third opinions are done.
7 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

msplumuniq wrote:
4 years ago

Any thoughts?
I think SLC has programmed bots to bid on items. It's unethical but that is the only reason I can think of - because it makes no sense. Either they don't want to sell it but want items shown for auction or the bot keeps bidding it higher to get a higher price. But I do think it's bots.
5 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

Two days ago as I sat with my brother during his chemo session, a lady sitting near him began to talk about the Sakota emerald and shungite bracelets she was wearing. I interrupted her and asked where she got them. Shop LC of course. I thought I was the only one in the area that knew about SLC! She told me she often bids too high for items and doesn’t pay for them because she neglected to research the item first to find out the actual selling price. She asked me if I think they’ll stop her from bidding if she keeps it up, and I chimed in “oh yes, they’ll eventually ban you from bidding if you keep bidding on pieces without paying for them”, hoping I’d prevent at least one person from messing up the auctions. It made me think that SLC doesn’t prevent bidders from doing this, or maybe their computer system doesn’t have a way of weeding out bad bids.
8 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

Greetings newbie, :)
Moderators have addressed the issue of bots and have
assured us there is nothing of the kind. Nobody from
SLC behind the scenes raising the bids.
Could actually be NUTS bidding with no ceiling in mind.
NOT calling anybody a liar, would they actually tell
us if there are bots????
7 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

honey wrote:
4 years ago
Greetings newbie, :)
Moderators have addressed the issue of bots and have
assured us there is nothing of the kind. Nobody from
SLC behind the scenes raising the bids.
Could actually be NUTS bidding with no ceiling in mind.
NOT calling anybody a liar, would they actually tell
us if there are bots????
I reckon not.
5 x

Shelleefish

Post by Shelleefish » 3 years ago

I am pretty new myself to lc my mom turned me on to them and I ve spent too much money on this site. I am very happy with most of my many orders but I ve also had broken .damaged. scratched, defected, stones falling out within a few days, earrings that fall apart while putting on first time! I've been sent incorrect item and can go on sadly you name it so I first tried my best to glue or fix items on my own feeling didn't have to pay a whole lot for most but after hundreds spent I ve tried the easy return for defected damaged incorrect items ...so they claim....nightmare has begun been treated horrible unreal customer service none. I just called about an order that I received email saying it had arrived this was like 5 days ago he said he was transferring me and hung up..sent emails with no response. My hand is going dead so to wrap it up for now battle is on clearly not professionals dealing with power dynamics at work ..charging me dbl on item returned for one with huge scratches all over it acting like I used a credit to buy it twice?? This is to distract us from making returns...undue demands and a waste of time. On point I have strongly suspected and shared with my family and friends that they are somehow driving the bids ....for sure! Been bidding on items and notice that the only competition going on is with the same items I am bidding on not any other items ....early am hours notice this more...but felt seen it happening several times and funky kind of names like starjasmine or u get it right??? Pretty sure most of us do ....not cool at all.
4 x

Moderator_Preston
Answers: 1

Post by Moderator_Preston » 3 years ago

Shelleefish wrote:
3 years ago
I am pretty new myself to lc my mom turned me on to them and I ve spent too much money on this site. I am very happy with most of my many orders but I ve also had broken .damaged. scratched, defected, stones falling out within a few days, earrings that fall apart while putting on first time! I've been sent incorrect item and can go on sadly you name it so I first tried my best to glue or fix items on my own feeling didn't have to pay a whole lot for most but after hundreds spent I ve tried the easy return for defected damaged incorrect items ...so they claim....nightmare has begun been treated horrible unreal customer service none. I just called about an order that I received email saying it had arrived this was like 5 days ago he said he was transferring me and hung up..sent emails with no response. My hand is going dead so to wrap it up for now battle is on clearly not professionals dealing with power dynamics at work ..charging me dbl on item returned for one with huge scratches all over it acting like I used a credit to buy it twice?? This is to distract us from making returns...undue demands and a waste of time. On point I have strongly suspected and shared with my family and friends that they are somehow driving the bids ....for sure! Been bidding on items and notice that the only competition going on is with the same items I am bidding on not any other items ....early am hours notice this more...but felt seen it happening several times and funky kind of names like starjasmine or u get it right??? Pretty sure most of us do ....not cool at all.
Good afternoon,

I deeply apologize that this happened. In this case, can you please email customerservice@shoplc.com with all of the details and put in the subject line "For Preston" so I can look into how to make this right for you. Just to reiterate, we do not have bots bidding on the auctions.
2 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

Didn’t realize this post is ten months old 🥴
1 x

Jt
Answers: 1

Post by Jt » 3 years ago

Some ppl are looking to.spoil the fun of others??? Selfish
Jt
Teresa
2 x