scarfs

Pookie14

scarfs

Post by Pookie14 » 4 years ago

with winter here I bought some "nice" scarfs. A few knitted cotton blends, mixed wool, poly, cotton blends and 2 wool blends.....OMG..when the large, heavy wool (wrap around your neck) I took it out of the plastic bag and had to run to the bathroom. The horrible stench coming from it was nauseating. I threw it outside on a patio chair. It has been hanging outside for over a month. Yes through sunshine, rain and snow. This dead, stinking carcass wool still smells. I now went to check the other veriest scarfs. They all have that same stench, just not as bad as the all wool scarf. Do you not wash or clean any of the materials before you use them? Guess its not just jewelry that you have issues with.
2 x

Gemsnob

Re: scarfs

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Pookie14 wrote:
4 years ago
with winter here I bought some "nice" scarfs. A few knitted cotton blends, mixed wool, poly, cotton blends and 2 wool blends.....OMG..when the large, heavy wool (wrap around your neck) I took it out of the plastic bag and had to run to the bathroom. The horrible stench coming from it was nauseating. I threw it outside on a patio chair. It has been hanging outside for over a month. Yes through sunshine, rain and snow. This dead, stinking carcass wool still smells. I now went to check the other veriest scarfs. They all have that same stench, just not as bad as the all wool scarf. Do you not wash or clean any of the materials before you use them? Guess its not just jewelry that you have issues with.
We are wondering if it could have something to do with the dye they use. People have said the same about handbags smelling awful.
1 x

Pookie14

Post by Pookie14 » 4 years ago

:oops: can't even see me giving to a homeless person
3 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

Maybe they did not wash the wool before using it. Those pesky sheep who refuse to bath have wool order. :lol: :lol: :lol: I would send it back.
2 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Then I wonder how the hosts could stand wearing those scarfs with such odor?😷
1 x

D-Flawless

Post by D-Flawless » 4 years ago

I bought a set of 4 chair cushions that also smelled hideous! Like they sat on a moldy ship for 6 months from India! And they probably DID! 🤣I sprayed them with room spray and it got worse! It took forever but they finally aired out enough to bring them in the house! Hope my Adrienne Vittadini coat doesn’t arrive smelling like that! 😱
3 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

D-Flawless wrote:
4 years ago
I bought a set of 4 chair cushions that also smelled hideous! Like they sat on a moldy ship for 6 months from India! And they probably DID! 🤣 I sprayed them with room spray and it got worse! It took forever but they finally aired out enough to bring them in the house! Hope my Adrienne Vittadini coat doesn’t arrive smelling like that! 😱
Oh my gosh!
😵 😤 😬 😷

Get some of the LYSOL SPRAY! Not the pump, but the fine spray. It will kill most germs and it doesn't stain.

I do that with clothing and cushions, etc., I purchase that are sent from overseas just to be on the "safe side"! I don't do it for odors, not sure if that would help, but I do it just because I sometimes get the Heebie Jeebies from these types of items!

Even on the Big River Site, the reviews often mention strong chemical odors on clothing purchased that comes from China, and other such places.

Or buyers comment that the fabric is supposed to be "cotton", "rayon", etc., but the purchaser will often say "I have never felt fabric like this before. Ever. It's definitely NOT what it is claimed to be. It's very odd fabric. But it's cool for summer, so I'm keeping it."

I often wonder just what they are using for certain fabrics?! Then I think: "Do I REALLY want to know?!"

Many "air" their smelly items, but that doesn't always work. On purses, clothing, etc., it can often be the dyes used. It can be so strong that it makes some buyers' eyes burn!

I feel sorry for the workers who are probably crammed into a warehouse with absolutely NO ventilation, and having to breathe in all kinds of dangerous chemicals!

They don't have the same workplace and product regulations we do, so we could be getting products that wouldn't be allowed to be manufactured the same way here! Yikes!
😟

I find it a bit scary!
😯
3 x