Hummingbird feeder

Rena

Hummingbird feeder

Post by Rena » 5 months ago

We were talking about this awhile back. I put up a hummingbird feeder a couple of weeks ago. Haven't seen any hummingbirds but today I saw a Downy woodpecker drinking from it. I've seen finches on it too but didn't notice if they were drinking from it.
9 x

honey

Re: Hummingbird feeder

Post by honey » 5 months ago

Eastern Blue Birds visited my bird house today.... I'd
heard them singing for couple of weeks, but they did
not appear till today.
if it looks like they will be moving in, I'll need to order
meal worm.
Interesting that the other birdies drank at the humming
bird feeder.
Do you have bird bath Rena? I do, but am not filling
till the chance of frost and freezing is over, fer sure.
Cracked a few bath bowls in my day!!
9 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 5 months ago

The Orioles love to drink from the hummingbird feeders too !

-Gypsy
9 x

honey

Post by honey » 5 months ago

hi Gypsy, while visiting a cousin recently, I learned
she fills up the hummingbird feeder with........
grape jelly!! for the Orioles!! that was a new one
for me!
10 x

Rena

Post by Rena » 5 months ago

I do have a birdbath. It's meant to hang from a hook but it's too heavy! I sit it out on the table but don't use it consistently. It gets dirty super fast with the birdseed. I need to be better about giving the critters clean water.
7 x

RS

Post by RS » 5 months ago

G’morning…🥰

We can’t have the liquid hummingbird feeders here. They are a huge draw for wasps and we get enough of them during the summer…don’t need more. Paladin and daughter are both allergic. I just hit them with my sandals!

We do have many fountains in our yard as well as one on the front porch. They love the running water of the fountains and we get them by the dozens, especially in the mornings. Love to watch them.

Their favorite one is the seal fountain in the back yard.

We get a lot of birds. Currently we have two dove families with nests in two of our sequoia trees.
10 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 5 months ago

@RS I use some dawn dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle and when you spray the wasp or hornets with it they die almost instantly. Those bugs wear their skeleton on the outside of their body and the dish soap dissolves it almost on contact and it will not harm other animals. I add the water first and then add a good amount of the Dawn and just gentle move the bottle up and down not to make bubbles. I will spray them right as they are flying and they drop.
10 x

Sissy2

Post by Sissy2 » 5 months ago

Gem Lover. JQ says you are right on! The Dawn melts off the protective wax layer on their exoskeletons. They also breathe through holes in their "skin" and this solution cuts of their oxygen. Two ounces of Dawn to 6 ounces of water is what she uses. She is also allergic to bee stings.
8 x

AD

Post by AD » 5 months ago

Awesome recipe, I’m tired of smelling bug and wasp spray 😊....H
8 x

RS

Post by RS » 5 months ago

Gem Lover wrote:
5 months ago
@RS I use some dawn dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle and when you spray the wasp or hornets with it they die almost instantly. Those bugs wear their skeleton on the outside of their body and the dish soap dissolves it almost on contact and it will not harm other animals. I add the water first and then add a good amount of the Dawn and just gentle move the bottle up and down not to make bubbles. I will spray them right as they are flying and they drop.
Thank you! We do have an exterminator that comes out once a month, or whenever we need him (don’t know how they work that out with just one monthly charge). He uses an all natural spray. I know there is cinnamon and pepper in it because I can smell it. And other things. It does work really really well but as wasps are flying critters they still come around.

I don’t like the stuff Paladin uses that nasty spray that shoots 20 ft. But it is poison. I think he may still have to use that if any wasps build nests under the eaves of our second story. Not only is it a two-story but downstairs has 12’ ceilings and upstairs the ceilings are 11’ . So the house is super tall.

I will make some of yours this weekend! 🥰🥰🥰
6 x