New to SLC & Auctions

January

New to SLC & Auctions

Post by January » 3 years ago

I am new to SLC and this whole auction game but, tell me the truth, is it even really possible to win anything? I just don't understand all these crazy high bids on items that you can purchase outright at a lower price.

The ones I see the most are anything to do with Swarovski crystals. I just saw some of the bolo bracelets on the $10 and under show and there are 2-3 of them listed on the clearance list for about $4 but ALL actions are bid at $50. Is this a scam? I mean I understand that there are those here buying items to sell but really....how can you make money off buying a $4 item for $50? I don't get it.

Also, because I was tired of trying to win an umbrella dress for a decent price I was just going to purchase at full price but when you click on the item I want, or should I say color, it says the item is not available. How is that possible? I see 3 or 4 of them on the auction list daily.

Has anyone actually won an item they wanted for less than the original asking price? :o :? :?:
7 x

Boston Irish

Re: New to SLC & Auctions

Post by Boston Irish » 3 years ago

Hi January there are people on here bidding crazy. On purses and jade and what you are looking at.I hope you win what you want. Watch the names you will see them over and over again. I do believe there are people just playing around! I'm looking at times people bid and I think I know who a few are.I have given up on what I wanted. Hope you get lucky.😞🍀
8 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 3 years ago

January, the auctions used to be great. I won way more items than any gal should own over the years. Once in a great while you can still get some good deals. I find this to be around mid week in the wee hours of the morning. As for the Swarovski items, if you see the $49 bids don’t bother. But once in a while those over bidders cool their jets and you can get some good deals. I was addicted to the auctions for some time. Now I rarely bid because as Shop LC has grown so have the number of bidders. You mentioned umbrella dresses. A year or two ago I won a few for $2 bids. As for bidding now, I wouldn’t bother in the weekends. I try only during the week and sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to see if there are any good deals. Good luck!
7 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@January

When the stock for an item gets down to a couple of dozen, or they are no longer selling well, they remove them from the retail side and mark them as Rising Auction items. Then the intersperse them for the next 10 days to two weeks or so.

And the other gals are right. It is generally not worth bidding on the weekends. Good luck!!
6 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 3 years ago

Hi everyone,
I started with the auctions years ago. I won things for cheap but found they broke easily. Were inferior. I think Shoplc sends their poorly rated items and lots of returns to the auction area.
I now only purchase items online when they are a great price with coupons. I just noticed that 2 exorbitantly priced diamonds in my wishlist just went up🙄
Thats the mistake in my opinion that shoplc makes. Its been sitting awhile in my wishlist without selling, so it would make sense that the price decreased so it could sell. Nope. It goes up. Whoever does this, must believe if it doesnt sell at the lower price, it will sell at a more exorbitant price 🤣

In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes Shoplc makes, is staying on one on air item about 1 hour. If Im not interested in that item, I switch channels, and if I switch back in less then 1 hour, they are still hawking the same item. Yes they might talk some viewers into ordering, but I bet these stragglers return the item they didnt want to begin with.
When Kevin was CEO, they stayed on an item about 10-15 minutes. Sold a larger quantity of items.
USPS told me they bring about 400 returned items a day back to shoplc.
Of course, its their company and maybe they will learn from their mistakes.
If I wait long enough, I get beautiful items at great prices, with coupons. Right now the coupons are rare, but patience rewards !!

Hugs❤️Vicky
6 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 3 years ago

I have had some luck with the actions but what I found is I usually win in the middle of the night like 1 to 3am when most are sleeping. The items I did win I was pleased with.
3 x

Jace

Post by Jace » 3 years ago

I don't bother anymore.!
It's too ridiculous!
3 x

Gus

Post by Gus » 3 years ago

I have some tips to share on winning at the auctions, which work for me.

As someone mentioned auctions ending late in the evenings or early mornings are your best bet. The less competition the better.
Search for how many times the item you are interested in is up for bid in a 48 hour period. The more that the product is available the better are your chances of winning with a reasonable or lower bid.

Do not start with a high bid, be the first to bid if possible and set a low maxi bid. The idea is to track the progress of the item in your personal favorites or watch list. Fifteen minutes before the auction closes, If you find the bidding within the price your are willing to pay use maxi bid.
Understand that bidding continues until 3 second before the auction closes. Yes, someone can swoop in and win.

Your personal favorites is first place to start for items that you did not win. Often the items in your favorites are not in the general auction immediately. Also your favorites can be a place of research of what the average price people are willing to pay.

Finally check to see if the product you are interested in is still on the retail website. There are time when the mark down prices are better than the auction prices.

The auction can be fun and a great place for bargains.
Patients, savvy and education are your greats tools.
Hope this helps and good luck.
3 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 3 years ago

After a year, today I broke my own ban and I bid again and lost. It’s better to buy the item directly rather than auction.
1 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 3 years ago

Thank you, Gus for your advice. I finally won the earrings that wanted.
4 x