For the love of Pete--make it stop Moderators!

RS

Re: For the love of Pete--make it stop Moderators!

Post by RS » 3 years ago

Boston Irish wrote:
3 years ago
My 10 year old Granson Aiden says they should block there I P Adress not sure how that works. He said they would have to get another phone or computer?💲💲💲📞📲 💻
The type of people who are doing this are using a proxy server. So blocking their IP address will only be temporary. They’ll just use another proxy and continue on and on and on...
2 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

RS:... What is a proxy sever??? T. Y. .... Lynette 🙂
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 3 years ago

Harlequin wrote:
3 years ago
RS:... What is a proxy sever??? T. Y. .... Lynette 🙂
I learned about them when I was moderator on a couple of forums several years ago. I can’t explain it technically accurately but people can go on the web and get a proxy server.
What it basically does is uses your own IP address to obtain a “proxy” IP address that is not the same as your usual one. It allows a person to bypass any restrictions placed on their real IP address. It’s kind of a “mask” that lets a person hide their real address and use a different one.
Almost impossible to keep up with trolls when they use a proxy...which in my past experience they always use one. When one proxy is blocked they just get another one and sign up on the site again.
So someone doesn’t need another computer (that doesn’t work for getting another IP address anyway) or another satellite/cable account.
Sadly the people who have ruined the RA side of SLC will always come back and do the same thing. It’s apparently all a big game for some very bored and ill-mannered people.
Other than shutting down the RAs I don’t thing SLC can prevent them, just keep blocking and re-blocking.
I stopped the RAs long ago (tried briefly one time a month ago). It’s just a complete joke there now.
If all that was left over there were these folks that are abusing this system maybe SLC would sit up and take notice and act.
2 x