watch for last second snipers

sque

watch for last second snipers

Post by sque » 3 years ago

I had three necklace sets with maximum bids and all three were outbid on the LAST TWO SECONDS I watched all three tried to rebid but the person Ibis used max bids(so who knows how much that person put in, could have been an outrageous amount knowing that another bid could not be gotten in, so they wouldn't have to worry about paying that much but just get over the bid amount) so my bid didn't go in Beware
4 x

Boston Irish

Re: watch for last second snipers

Post by Boston Irish » 3 years ago

I did max bids on 4 items and someone won all of them not me.😞🍀 Oh well maybe next time.
3 x

...barefoot...

Post by ...barefoot... » 3 years ago

OK, my initial reaction when I first read this post was to ignore it, but I have decided to comment.

After many years of making MAX Bets at the beginning of auctions (eBay and Shop LC) only to have someone (usually the same person) come along and increase their bet by $1.00 until they find out what my Max Bet is (and drive up the price unnecessarily), I finally got fed up with it. Now I decide what the absolute maximum $ amount is I am willing to pay for an auction item, and then bid at 5 or 4 SECONDS left in the auction. If the item price at 5 seconds is above what I am willing to pay, I do not bet. If the price at 5 seconds to auction end is still below what I am actually willing to pay, I bid my MAX bet. If I win, great, but if I lose to someone who was willing to pay more, then so be it--that means that someone else was willing to pay more than I was for the item, and it stops some that do the annoying $1.00 increment bets to find out what someone else's MAX bid is. Try sniping some time--you might actually see what I mean (and win a few auctions that you really want in the process, and in some cases for a lower price than your MAX Bet).
_______
ETA: There are some around here that I do not bet against because I know they have bid a ridiculously high amount--they shall remain nameless.
7 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

I see nothing wrong with sniping. It's not unethical. It's not cheating. It's an auction and the point is to win and pay the least amount possible. There is no point in bidding early as that will likely drive up the price. Just decide the max you are willing to pay and don't go over. It happens on every auction site I have used. If it's not your thing or you don't have time to snipe then it's possible auctions aren't your best bet.
9 x

Ariana

Post by Ariana » 3 years ago

Last edited by Ariana 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Ariana

Post by Ariana » 3 years ago

Last edited by Ariana 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

...barefoot...

Don't hate the player, hate the game! :lol:
Sometimes it's just the players that ruin the game.

(After reading on this Auction Forum a little further, I see that some of the worst offenders are being sanctioned for their. . .uh. . .transgressions. :D :shock: Maybe there is hope for this auction site yet if ShopLC continues to purge the abusers.)
2 x

...barefoot...

Ariana wrote:
3 years ago

How do you know who is bidding here? There's really no way to know.
There is a "Bid History" tab next to the "Product detail/description" tab that shows all the bids placed, times of bids and by whom.
3 x

lah2001

Post by lah2001 » 3 years ago

If everyone sniped the auctions they were interested in, we'd all probably eventually win items at lower prices. The incremental $1.00 bidding early that barefoot mentioned actually drives up the price, especially when two people get into an incremental $1.00 bidding war.
5 x

...barefoot...

lah2001 wrote:
3 years ago
. . .
If everyone sniped the auctions they were interested in, we'd all probably eventually win items at lower prices.
. . .
Agree, I just won 5 ring auctions (out of the 5 I bid on) for a total of $66.00. Had I placed my MAX bids early on, I probably would not have won any of them.
3 x