Something Fishy About this Auction Site

Boston Irish

Re: Something Fishy About this Auction Site

Post by Boston Irish » 2 years ago

I BID ON AN ITEM AND SOMEONE BID WITH THE NAME GUESS WHO AFTER ME BUT HAD THE EXACT SAME TIME AS MY BID. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? I SAY TO GUESS WHO GUESS WHAT I GOT YOU.
3 x

mpompadour

Post by mpompadour » 2 years ago

Boston Irish wrote:
2 years ago
I BID ON AN ITEM AND SOMEONE BID WITH THE NAME GUESS WHO AFTER ME BUT HAD THE EXACT SAME TIME AS MY BID. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? I SAY TO GUESS WHO GUESS WHAT I GOT YOU.
Hi Boston Irish, On tied bids it's because you bid that amount earlier FIRST. In order for them to win, they would have had to bid more.
2 x

ElleTee

Post by ElleTee » 2 years ago

RikkM wrote:
2 years ago
This is a known issue with no solution. If everyone engaged in overbidding and not purchasing there would be no rising auctions. I have heard the explanation that folks like to bid and win whatever they think they may want and then after a lot of items won are in their shopping cart they pick and choose what they truly want to purchase and then let the rest expire and return to the rising auctions. Maybe that’s what everyone is supposed to do. I am sure that is NOT what was/is intended. At the very least it comes off as fishy, scammy and downright fake.
I actually tabulated several bidders by name and dollar amount on the rising auctions, a couple of nights ago. For my foray into this folly, one evening I typed a search for ‘sleeping beauty’. Of the over 300 auctions a bidder (De#%ie) was winning at that snapshot in time, over 26% (like 80) of the total auctions and was ‘on the hook’ for almost $9,0000.00 worth of jewelry had the auctions all ended at that moment. The next morning I again performed a search for sleeping beauty in the rising auctions and there it was again, the very same bidder with again 26% of this time, over 400 auctions and if memory serves, over $11,000.00 worth of jewelry. Keep in mind this was ONLY a search for sleeping beauty, there is little to no wonder that there were even MORE auctions that this bidder was overbidding on, and the auctions were nearly half of them over bid, rediculously overbid.
When I spoke with a customer service representative, they considered what I said, but were curt and most emphatic in the notion that ShopLC will not force anyone to buy anything that they bid on and may win. So surely, with no penalties or enforced contractual agreement to actually purchase items, any person may bid on and subsequently win, no matter how much they engage in over bidding, not to mention over bidding on thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. Customer service, and I use the term loosely, was only helpful in the sense that they took my call and listened to what I had to say. It appears that with lack of enforcement some ‘customers’ at ShopLC rising auctions view them as nothing more than a ‘virtual play space’ and have no intention of purchasing after bidding senselessly.
Most probably though, with the rising auctions three things can be deduced: 1) The problem is known 2) they are unwilling or don’t care to fix the issue 3) with the amount of complaints here in the forum it leaves customers questioning if something ‘fishy’ is indeed going on? All this makes the few customers that actually think they are participating in something that is fair or even realistic, at the very least disadvantaged, disappointed and frustrated.
Also, the notion that ‘teams’ of people looking for this activity and deleting or limiting accounts is erroneous, today under the same search mentioned above, the very same people are overbidding on huge numbers of auctions.

What was the definition of insanity?
I very much liked and appreciated your analysis of the situation, and it appears you were very thorough.
Just one comment regarding the scenario where people purposely overbid and then pick and choose whatever items, if any, they intend to actually pay for. The site clearly warns customers that this kind of behavior is not acceptable and measures will be taken against the bidder engaging in this activity. Wouldn't SLC want to enforce this policy? Aren't they losing money if they continuously allow these overbidders to not pay for their winning bids?
I usually focus on the absurd bids on the Swarovski items. I just now saw someone win a bid for a pair of earrings for $279. The regular site is selling the highest priced Swarovski earrings for $179. Again, it makes no sense at all. Why would anyone bid that kind of money?
I don't know what the answer is here, but I do find it baffling.
Thanks for your thoughts and sorry for the late reply. Much appreciated.
6 x

RikkM

Post by RikkM » 2 years ago

I have called several times about overbidding/multiple bidding on the rising auctions.

I just calculated today under a search for ’sleeping beauty’ a user by the name of D*66|e has bids on 30% of the total sleeping beauty auctions listed, and is currently bidding total dollar amounts on these 163 auctions at $6,724.00.
This has been going on for WEEKS.
There is no way that ‘D*66|e’ is paying for over $30,000.00 worth of sleeping beauty turquoise (I calculated her bidding activity earlier). My previous phone call I was politely, but curtly, told that ShopLC has no intention on forcing anyone to purchase things they may have overbid on and won.

This happens with swarovski searches and other auctions.
5 x

mpompadour

RikkM wrote:
2 years ago
I have called several times about overbidding/multiple bidding on the rising auctions.

I just calculated today under a search for ’sleeping beauty’ a user by the name of D*66|e has bids on 30% of the total sleeping beauty auctions listed, and is currently bidding total dollar amounts on these 163 auctions at $6,724.00.
This has been going on for WEEKS.
There is no way that ‘D*66|e’ is paying for over $30,000.00 worth of sleeping beauty turquoise (I calculated her bidding activity earlier). My previous phone call I was politely, but curtly, told that ShopLC has no intention on forcing anyone to purchase things they may have overbid on and won.

This happens with swarovski searches and other auctions.
RikkM, We ALL, for YEARS now, have been complaining about the Rising Auction problem bidders. Nothing HAS been done and nothing will EVER be done. The Rising Auctions have been all but ruined by these ridiculous bidders. Since there is NO accountability to hold them to paying for anything, it will continue. I and SEVERAL forum posters have suggested GOOD WAYS to stop this insanity, but Shop LC has turned a blind eye to the problem AND the solution. Only they know the reason they let this continue. :x
5 x

RikkM

@mpompadour thanks for the backup, I know it's an issue. Just doing my part to keep it an active topic. I have also emailed customer service. If ShopLC isn't going to do anything about it, there is absolutely no reason for customers to not hear about it, so that they can make more informed decisions on spending time and money. I actually don't usually even frequent RA but stupidly was lookin for sleeping beauty in remembrance of my mom (it was her fav turquoise) and lo and behold got caught up in the 'funk' that IS rising auctions. :lol: :evil: :lol:
6 x

mpompadour

@RikkM It's very sad that customer even have to come here and point out to Shop LC this glaring problem. It undermines their credibility as a company to let this go on when it can be simply and effectively FIXED. If they would set it up where you have to pay IMMEDIATELY and to come directly out of a VALID credit card on file, I can just about guarantee 100% it would put a stop to this mess. There would be no more reason for them to bid like maniacs anymore. Hit them in the old pocketbook where it hurts! :lol: :lol: :lol:
4 x

itsme

Post by itsme » 2 years ago

RikkiM I am yet another serious auction participant who is very unhappy with how their auction site is run. I have several problem bidders I run into all the time and they prevent me and others from winning or losing a fair auction. In jade there is R*** and J*****. In the more expensive auctions there is E****** who I have been in battle with for nearly a year on an item. I am not giving up however :) and I will keep trying for the item that keeps being recycled again and again meaning no sale for the company. Maybe their business model is to lose sales to us. I do not bid on anything I would not pay for if I win an auction. These problem children rack up thousands of dollars in winnings as you have said but obviously don't pay for their winnings. I hope the company realizes that they are losing customers because of this. Thank you for your post.
5 x

RikkM

+1 @mpompadour maybe if ShopLC fixed the RA there wouldn't be the venting of frustration that goes on regularly and there would actually be a serious robust auction. Right now all they do is lose customers as @itsme has pointed out, I included. and itsme, you must have the patience of Job to keep waiting for the release/rebid/release....rinse and repeat cycle :lol: You go!
6 x

AD

Post by AD » 2 years ago

Good job LADIES on expressing your opinions, very well said indeed 😊. Maybe some day SLC will see the light. ?????
4 x