New idea for diamonds

CJM

New idea for diamonds

Post by CJM » 4 years ago

How about diamond rings without rhodium!! I hate rhodium coating on your diamond rings. To me it’s ugly! Why is it used so much? Because it’s the trend? Just curious. I would buy more diamond rings if it was without it, especially the colored diamonds.
2 x

Blossom

Re: New idea for diamonds

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Aren't most of SLC's diamond rings platinum over silver (unless gold)? There is a difference between platinum & rhodium...right? JTV tends to use rhodium a lot.
1 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

Platinum (plain platinum) is more durable and lasts longer as a plating material. Rhodium is a subgroup metal related to platinum but less " white" and with more of a "grey" cast It also does not last as long for plating. They are both hypoallergenic too so if the silver has nickle in it it won't break you out.
1 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 4 years ago

I thought shoplc silver was nickel free? So why use rhodium? They only use it on diamond rings I’ve not seen it used on other jewelry. Sometimes I wish platinum wasn’t used on the tennis necklace/bracelets. I think tennis jewelry is much prettier with straight sterling silver! Shoplc has always said their silver is nickel free. That’s why I started buying from them.
1 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

CJM wrote:
4 years ago
How about diamond rings without rhodium!! I hate rhodium coating on your diamond rings. To me it’s ugly! Why is it used so much? Because it’s the trend? Just curious. I would buy more diamond rings if it was without it, especially the colored diamonds.
I think its used with colored diamonds because it helps hide the fact that they arent well matched and in lighter diamonds, they think it makes them appear more saturated. I believe that the opposite would happen. If you have light pink diamonds, they would appear darker in all white metal. Thats just me though.
1 x

JewelryQueen

Yes I have found SLC silver to be nickle free. I believe they use the plating because silver tarnishes so easily and then people complain.
3 x

Gemsnob

White gold is rhodium plated. Im not sure why people think it doesnt hold up. Rhodium actually costs more than platinum. Its up to $6,000 an ounce.
2 x

Gemsnob

Silver is plated so it doesnt tarnish. It has nothing to do with the nickel content.
2 x

silleemee

Post by silleemee » 4 years ago

Rhodium can be made (alloyed) to look blue, black, green or whatever...it's bright white otherwise. Colored rhodium is mostly used to enhance the color of gemstones which has that mounting. Using colored rhodium to set colored diamonds takes away the contrast between white metal and the colored stone so you don't notice the prongs as much. Blue rhodium used to set blue diamonds makes it appear like there's more diamonds.
1 x

JewelryQueen

Actually silver is a very white reflective material but all silver used in jewelry has another metal integrated into it. That's what the 925 instead of 100 is all about. Usually that metal is nickle but SLC says not in theirs. I believe it because the artisan and uncoated rings do not break me out but nickle does.
2 x