AAA Tanzanite

RS

Re: AAA Tanzanite

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Moderator_Preston wrote:
4 years ago
Lauren wrote:
4 years ago
I don’t understand the Tanzanite grading system either...if it’s heat treated to create richer color then it’s no longer natural color. Only untreated gems should be graded in my opinion
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Unlike some other gemstones, heating is not actually used to alter the grade of tanzanite or enhance the color, but rather it is used to remove the red and brown color that tanzanite appears in it's rough state. Most tanzanite on the market are assumed to be heated and it's hard for a gemological lab to detect if one has been heated or not. That is why the heating treatment is acceptable in the grading process. Thank you so much for being a part of the Shop LC family!
So then if a tanzanite is a higher grade after heating does that mean they started with a higher grade to begin with?
1 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Tanzanite is beautiful but treated. It's like citrine, natural untreated citrine is rare in nature. What about the other colors of zoiste, that so called green "Tanzanite"?. Only the blue zoiste should carry the name Tanzanite, not the other colors.
2 x

Moderator_Preston
Answers: 1

Post by Moderator_Preston » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Moderator_Preston wrote:
4 years ago
Lauren wrote:
4 years ago
I don’t understand the Tanzanite grading system either...if it’s heat treated to create richer color then it’s no longer natural color. Only untreated gems should be graded in my opinion
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Unlike some other gemstones, heating is not actually used to alter the grade of tanzanite or enhance the color, but rather it is used to remove the red and brown color that tanzanite appears in it's rough state. Most tanzanite on the market are assumed to be heated and it's hard for a gemological lab to detect if one has been heated or not. That is why the heating treatment is acceptable in the grading process. Thank you so much for being a part of the Shop LC family!
So then if a tanzanite is a higher grade after heating does that mean they started with a higher grade to begin with?
Yes, that is correct.The heating has no effect on the blue and violet colors of the tanzanite.
2 x

JustaShopper

Post by JustaShopper » 4 years ago

The whole reason I started buying gems from here was because I prefer natural untreated stones especially ones, black spinal and chrome and tanz the the 3 newest I started with, Yes I do own natural untreated tanz, I got in on the very end of that with tanz. Sure enough Iv'e seen the prices on those three go sky high, Especially the TANZ,, I also like the larimar , I certainly hope thats natural untreated as i'm lead to believe.And if all tanz is heated here WHAT, Wheres all the color, you need to leave it in the oven alittle longer cuz I have gotten tanzalight from here, where there was hardly any color, It's sad thats my favorite.. I am truly thankful for all the nice things that have delivered MUCH JOY from Shop LC
1 x

Moderator_Preston

JustaShopper wrote:
4 years ago
The whole reason I started buying gems from here was because I prefer natural untreated stones especially ones, black spinal and chrome and tanz the the 3 newest I started with, Yes I do own natural untreated tanz, I got in on the very end of that with tanz. Sure enough Iv'e seen the prices on those three go sky high, Especially the TANZ,, I also like the larimar , I certainly hope thats natural untreated as i'm lead to believe.And if all tanz is heated here WHAT, Wheres all the color, you need to leave it in the oven alittle longer cuz I have gotten tanzalight from here, where there was hardly any color, It's sad thats my favorite.. I am truly thankful for all the nice things that have delivered MUCH JOY from Shop LC
Good Morning,

Thank you for your message. Regarding heating tanzanite, heating does not affect the the blue and violet colors, but rather removes the red and brown colors from rough tanzanite. The natural blue/violet color will be same no matter how long you heat them. Thank you again for your message, and being a part of the Shop LC family!
0 x

MilfordsMrFixIt

Post by MilfordsMrFixIt » 4 years ago

Well this whole thing with hosts not being accurate really needs to stop. I bought https://www.shoplc.com/p/3396803 Tanzanite, Zircon Ring in Vermeil RG Over Sterling Silver (Size 9.0) 1.15 ctw ,which has a nice look. Upon close inspection, if you look straight down with bright light coming up from the bottom, the stone is actually completely clear!! There's a blue/violet ring of color that just doesn't look natural. Anything that has been done to a stone should be disclosed. My appraiser opines that it's likely an ungradable Tanzanite that has been color treated.
All I ask is an honest representation of the items.
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

O
M
G

So what is really the truth here?
1 x

Moderator_Preston

MilfordsMrFixIt wrote:
4 years ago
Well this whole thing with hosts not being accurate really needs to stop. I bought https://www.shoplc.com/p/3396803 Tanzanite, Zircon Ring in Vermeil RG Over Sterling Silver (Size 9.0) 1.15 ctw ,which has a nice look. Upon close inspection, if you look straight down with bright light coming up from the bottom, the stone is actually completely clear!! There's a blue/violet ring of color that just doesn't look natural. Anything that has been done to a stone should be disclosed. My appraiser opines that it's likely an ungradable Tanzanite that has been color treated.
All I ask is an honest representation of the items.
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding the hosts' representation of these items. According to our enhancement list, the only treatments that have been done is heating. We do stand by all of our products 100% but you are more than happy to return it if you are not satisfied. We will certainly pass along your feedback to the Voice of the Customer team so it can be addressed to the right people. Thank you again for your feedback and being a part of the Shop LC family!
0 x

JustaShopper

Post by JustaShopper » 4 years ago

My two pieces of tanzanite rough has no brown or red.. What quality would say has brown and/or red ? OH MY GOODNESS TOO !
1 x

Moderator_Preston

JustaShopper wrote:
4 years ago
My two pieces of tanzanite rough has no brown or red.. What quality would say has brown and/or red ? OH MY GOODNESS TOO !
Good Afternoon,

It is certainly possible that some tanzanite roughs come out without the brown tint, but commonly many do have that brown tint. The brown color does not affect the quality of the stone (as neither does heating), and many times it is preferable to have it heated rather than the brown color. Thank you for your post!
0 x