Ruby, heated only or fissure filled

Margui

Ruby, heated only or fissure filled

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

I'm a customer of ShopLC since the days they were known as The Jewelry Channel. I have many pieces of jewelry from them. About rubies, I think they should not sell fissure filled rubies, many gemologists called this type of ruby as Composite Ruby and in many cases they are more glass than ruby. They should sell Heated only rubies. I have a Burmese Ruby stud earrings. I bought them but I asked if they are fissure filled, they told me no, but a online representative told me yes. I have doubts about the rubies now.

What do you think? Share your opinions.
4 x

Topic Tags:

mpompadour

Re: Ruby, heated only or fissure filled

Post by mpompadour » 4 years ago

I don't own any fissure filled rubies, so I can't judge them personally. But from what I've read about them they seem to be the lowest grade rubies, heated to melt glass or lead into the stone, clarify the stones color and cloudiness and prone to future problems. If I cannot or do not want to spend a lot of money, I prefer to go with Lab Created rubies. They are REAL rubies, just lab made. They are gorgeous, clean and clear and durable. I've bought some from ShopLC and are extremely happy with them.
4 x

Moderator_Preston
Answers: 1

Post by Moderator_Preston » 4 years ago

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
I'm a customer of ShopLC since the days they were known as The Jewelry Channel. I have many pieces of jewelry from them. About rubies, I think they should not sell fissure filled rubies, many gemologists called this type of ruby as Composite Ruby and in many cases they are more glass than ruby. They should sell Heated only rubies. I have a Burmese Ruby stud earrings. I bought them but I asked if they are fissure filled, they told me no, but a online representative told me yes. I have doubts about the rubies now.

What do you think? Share your opinions.
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your post. In this case, the Burmese rubies are indeed fissure filled. Our standard rubies and John Saul rubies are only heat treated. We will certainly pass along your feedback however regarding fissure filling. If there is anything else you need assistance with, please let us know. Thank you for being a part of the Shop LC family!
1 x

Margui

Then, I have fissure filled rubies (Burmese) I bought them because one of the customer service representative told me that they are not fissure filled. I'm so disappointed. Then ShopLC should have the John Saul ruby. I have a small Ruby pendant that is not fissure filled. I'll be waiting for the John Saul Ruby show to match my pendant 🙁
3 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Fissure filled Burmese rubies are not what any of the hosts say they are selling. They always say they ‘are 100% natural’. 10 out of 10 hosts say this same line about the Burmese sapphire so I’m guessing the Burmese sapphire is fissure filled as well. This leads me back to an earlier post about requiring accurate descriptions of the product being sold. It should be in writing on the website and the hosts should know exactly what they are selling. Most don’t and are under prepared. Tired of wasting my money
6 x

Katie

Post by Katie » 4 years ago

I didn't know they were fissure filled. So that means there Value is tanked? I will not be buying any more.
3 x

Spooky

One of the customer service reps said they were fissure filled
2 x

Margui

Karen, one of the hosts, said that its natural and not fissure filled. I just saw her on today's show. I will take the earrings them to a jeweler, to verify that. The Niassa rubies are fissure filled and the John Saul rubies are not even available to buy.
4 x

Spooky

I’ve also heard Karen say that almost all rubies are fissure filled.
I guess we should just buy things because they’re pretty and not because someone tells us it’s ‘rare’ or ‘valuable’. I’ve got tons of crystals and gemstones and they aren’t worth anything unless you can find someone to buy them.
I’m more interested in the style of the piece. I do wish that ShopLC was truthful about what they are selling. The metaphysical properties of gems can indeed help us but we need to know what we are buying
5 x

Margui

Today, October 6, 2019 is another "Burmese Ruby" show with Jessica and Tenner. And Jessica is saying: " Look at this ruby transparency" on a real ruby, yes, but not at that composite stone that she is selling. "Take it to a jeweler", she says The jeweler will tell the customer: "Físsure filled rubies are not durable". If you put a físsure filled Ruby in a stem cleaner is ruined.

The should sell rubies that are heated only. Físsure filled rubies are not rare nor valuable. And if you noticed there is NOT FF (Fissure-filled)in the description of the "Burmese rubies".
3 x