JustaShopper

Re: AAA Tanzanite

Post by JustaShopper » 4 years ago

Thank You Mod for your reply :idea: :idea: :idea:
1 x

Lauren

Post by Lauren » 4 years ago

Thought this link from geology dot com might help...

“Today, nearly all of the gems being sold as "tanzanite" have a blue color that has been produced or enhanced by heating. When a gem has been treated in this way, the treatment should be disclosed by the seller because it has a significant effect on the stone's value.”

https://geology.com/gemstones/tanzanite/
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Whoa!

I want to know if the stones in the ring I have yet to receive have been treated. Better to tell me now than make me find out during appraisal.

That article also says that some tanzanite (usually lighter colored ones) are coated and that a jeweler can tell if this has been done.
1 x

Lauren

Post by Lauren » 4 years ago

If you purchased from LC then yes, it’s been heat treated. It says so on their “gemstone enhancement list” (link below). According to this chart the only Tanzanite they sell that has not been treated is natural Green Tanzanite.

https://www.shoplc.com/education/gemsto ... ments-list
1 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

MilfordsMrFixIt wrote:
4 years ago
Well this whole thing with hosts not being accurate really needs to stop. I bought https://www.shoplc.com/p/3396803 Tanzanite, Zircon Ring in Vermeil RG Over Sterling Silver (Size 9.0) 1.15 ctw ,which has a nice look. Upon close inspection, if you look straight down with bright light coming up from the bottom, the stone is actually completely clear!! There's a blue/violet ring of color that just doesn't look natural. Anything that has been done to a stone should be disclosed. My appraiser opines that it's likely an ungradable Tanzanite that has been color treated.
All I ask is an honest representation of the items.
Some gemstones will have only a streak of color with the rest being clear or near clear. A good lapadarist will cut and facet the stone to capitalize on that streak to where the entire stone will look colored unless you view it from a certain angle. I have found this frequently with supposed Imperial Topaz from Brazil.
1 x

SueB

Post by SueB » 4 years ago

Look at some of your old Tanzis then look At newer. I noticed a lot with big ol windows( where you shift the stone and see the clear part) lately! The good quality stones are pretty much gone. Also that famous deep blue/ purple w/ the nice red and pink flashes. Ugh that was some nice tanzanite!!! Now I’ve noticed going to kind of a blue blueberry color. I was under the impression that it did come out of the ground brown and it was heated to get the color!? And never heard of coating on tanzanite unless someone is making something new.
2 x

JustaShopper

Post by JustaShopper » 4 years ago

I have decided to keep my AAA pieces from the last AAA Tanzanite Smackdown, . I want to say Thank You for my Tanzanite from the past that I never would have had , in fact thank for all the silver and Gems I have purchased from you.
2 x