Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Catticus

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
Catticus wrote:
4 years ago
No offense is intended by this post to our wonderful Danielle, or any Mods or members.

IF a company has no qualms about selling simulated stones to a buyer under the guise of the stones being authentic, what good is a certificate of authenticity from the same company?

If they would lie about a stone, they'll have no problem with sending a "certificate" stating it's authentic, since they ALREADY lied, by stating it was authentic on air and online.

I don't understand the reason for wanting a certificate from any untrustworthy seller? The certificate won't change a stone from a simulated one to an authentic one.

Am I misunderstanding something?
Hmmm. Good point. I just thought a certificate of authenticity would require the seller to stand behind stone or it could come back & haunt them if the stone was not what they claim. Maybe not???

Beats me! I only try to keep up!
Awesome Blossom 🌿🌺🌿

Thank you! You and others have made it "click" in my mind! I "get" your reasons now! And they're good reasons!
🤔💡😃
3 x

Topic Tags:

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Gemaholic: Don't leave, please. If you can share what Adi and Peter said. You are very knowledgeable about this issue. Macy's also was sued for not disclosed treatments on rubies and Moderator_Danielle, she is a gem. Always there to help the customers..
2 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

To me a certification is way more important that what someone says online. It is like the difference of used car salesman giving you a written warranty versus telling you this vehicle will run fine with no problems for another 100,000 miles. You have way more recourse when any guarantee is in writing. Just sayin'
5 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
To me a certification is way more important that what someone says online. It is like the difference of used car salesman giving you a written warranty versus telling you this vehicle will run fine with no problems for another 100,000 miles. You have way more recourse when any guarantee is in writing. Just sayin'
TRUE! ❤️
4 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
Last year I took a lot of clearance pieces that I had bought and just didn't wear to a local pawn shop. I needed to clean out my jewelry box and thought to get what I could out of it. The jeweler wouldn't take most of the pieces because he said some appeared not to be silver, and some had pieces and parts that were not silver. All of the items were portrayed as "sterling silver" when I bought them. They used some stuff they put on the pieces to test it. They said they would question whether or not the stones were real, as well. I just figured they were afraid to take a chance with some of it because of their test results. Now I don't know what to think. I donated the items to charity and told them what I could about them.
Pawn shops are notorious for deceiving people. I have some stories of my own. Unless they are GIA or even IGS, then their opinion is worth nothing. No offense to you, it's the people at these shops. Their end goal is the same as channels like SLC
3 x

Gemaholic

Theresia wrote:
4 years ago
Moderator Danielle............I recently bought 3038628
Natural Champagne and White Diamond (0.71 ct) Ring in Rhodium & Vermeil RG Over Sterling Silver (Size 9.0) (Avg. 8.52 g) 2.50 ctw. The ring is beautiful and I got it for a steal but with all this talk about fake stones, now I am worried and I am thinking about sending it back. Does SLC have any paperwork to verify authenticity that should accompany a ring of this price? Thank you for you help.
Any company can claim something is authentic. A piece of paper is only going to be valuable in a lawsuit. I would get some of your champagne diamonds appraised by a credible GIA gemologist in your area. If you google GIA appraiser and your town's name, you will see a list of places to go to
4 x

Gemaholic

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
EXACTLY. If they have something in writing as authentic but then the opposite is proved, then it looks very bad on SLC's part.
3 x

Gemaholic

Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
Last year I took a lot of clearance pieces that I had bought and just didn't wear to a local pawn shop. I needed to clean out my jewelry box and thought to get what I could out of it. The jeweler wouldn't take most of the pieces because he said some appeared not to be silver, and some had pieces and parts that were not silver. All of the items were portrayed as "sterling silver" when I bought them. They used some stuff they put on the pieces to test it. They said they would question whether or not the stones were real, as well. I just figured they were afraid to take a chance with some of it because of their test results. Now I don't know what to think. I donated the items to charity and told them what I could about them.
Pawn shops are notorious for deceiving people. I have some stories of my own. Unless they are GIA or even IGS, then their opinion is worth nothing. No offense to you, it's the people at these shops. Their end goal is the same as channels like SLC
There is no offense to be taken. You are the one that opened this conversation by saying that you DO have pieces that were sold to you by SLC that are NOT real. What you have quoted from me above is what I was told by a shop owner when I took some junk in I bought on clearance and wasn't wearing, so I wanted to try to get some money out of it. The shop sells silver jewelry, and some gold, and does pay for silver and gold. They tested the merchandise in front of me with some type of magnets, which did not react properly, and this black pad they put stuff on the jewelry with. I don't really understand what you mean when you say their end goal is the same? They weren't looking to keep these pieces, they refused to pay for any of the ones in question because they were afraid it wasn't silver, so I gave them to a local charity. The pieces they paid me for were weighed on the counter in front of me, I am not in the habit of being deceived, just a fact. So sorry you misunderstand, and that I don't understand you. With all due respect, and no offense.
Pawnshops don't care about the person coming in--the customer, so they do run tricks. That is what my comparison to SLC is. As far as the magnet test, this is amusing to me now. Did they claim it WASN'T magnetic therefore it wasn't silver? It is important to pay attention to these things, because crooked people are everywhere. Silver is NOT magnetic. Iron and nickel is, so it sounds like they were testing to see if it was in there since 925 silver is not supposed to contain nickel, just copper (in addition to the 92.5% silver). And yes, I opened the conversation and I said inspect your jewelry and get second opinions, but pawnshop people are by no means qualified unless they are certified. As much as I don't like being deceived by SLC, I am an honest person, and think honest appraisals should be considered.
3 x

Gemaholic

Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
By the way, I saw your post where you were going to examine gems under a microscope and post the results in that thread, and in a new thread, but I don't see anything. What were your results?
I had several posts about this. I posted one yesterday called Dear SLC Hosts where I discussed my findings and I also I also posted one called Tanazanite Coatings...and I think I had another one called "Just looked at my jewelry w/ tools"
3 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
There is no offense to be taken. You are the one that opened this conversation by saying that you DO have pieces that were sold to you by SLC that are NOT real. What you have quoted from me above is what I was told by a shop owner when I took some junk in I bought on clearance and wasn't wearing, so I wanted to try to get some money out of it. The shop sells silver jewelry, and some gold, and does pay for silver and gold. They tested the merchandise in front of me with some type of magnets, which did not react properly, and this black pad they put stuff on the jewelry with. I don't really understand what you mean when you say their end goal is the same? They weren't looking to keep these pieces, they refused to pay for any of the ones in question because they were afraid it wasn't silver, so I gave them to a local charity. The pieces they paid me for were weighed on the counter in front of me, I am not in the habit of being deceived, just a fact. So sorry you misunderstand, and that I don't understand you. With all due respect, and no offense.
I have a GREAT pawn shop I go to and they won't take things either unless to melt. BUT, they have boxes of jewelry that people have pawned and their plan is to melt it so they allow me to sit down in a comfy chair and go through boxes of jewelry! I'll spend three hours looking. It's a BLAST ! They sell it for cheap to me. Then a couple of years go by and I pile my new jewelry together and old and we do the same thing. They give me decent credit for good jewelry then I go through their melt boxes again. I've made a decent profit. I actually see things they don't recognize and I don't tell them. They know I know something about a piece when I dig out gemstone pieces and want to purchase it - but they don't want to know and tell me, "I don't want to know" lol Just buy it. :lol: :lol: :lol: and I don't tell them... :lol:
4 x