New grading system for Tanzanite?

JewelryQueen

Re: New grading system for Tanzanite?

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

Danielle

While I started this thread about grading, I believe it has changed to cobalt treatment of Tanzinite to improve the color and that is what the ladies are asking about.
1 x

Moderator_Danielle

Post by Moderator_Danielle » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Danielle

While I started this thread about grading, I believe it has changed to cobalt treatment of Tanzinite to improve the color and that is what the ladies are asking about.
Hello, this is the information I have about treatments that we do from our education center:

In the case of tanzanite, these gemstones undergo a heating process. This heat treatment helps draw out the desirable blues and violets that make the stone valuable. You should always expect heat treatment with tanzanite, as the process doesn’t not have any impact on its value.

Many discovery stories often tell of a prospector or tribesman stumbling upon blue tanzanite crystals. Likely, these stones were heating through natural radiation in the ground before making their way to the surface or were heated during natural disasters such as wildfires.

When found untreated, stones typically range from a brownish-green to green color. Rarely, pink specimens have also been found.

I asked about additional treatments, but heating is the treatment that SHOP LC engages in for Tanzanite.
2 x

Shawne

Post by Shawne » 4 years ago

Moderator_Danielle, I appreciate your feedback. However, I had checked on the gemstone treatment on the Shoplc website before I posted this and heating was all that was mentioned. If that is the only treatment on these particular stones then I assume if I take it to an appraiser that it will be fine. In addition, I had contacted personal shopper, who transferred me to the QC department and they were supposedly going to get back to me, which they have not. This does not inspire confidence.

On another note, however, I want to say I appreciate you coming forward to answer questions. It seems there is a lot of frustration on the forum because there is a lack of someone to ask important questions of, or feel that the people calling are being heard. I have only been a fan for two years and have recommended Shoplc to many. I love 90% of what I have received. On the occasion I need to have a price corrected or have an issue, customer service has been great. It is important to make the powers that be aware that clearly people care about Shoplc and the products they deliver, as well as the hosts. Feedback is important to improve the experience and Shoplc gives the impression they do care about that. However, without a method by which to get clear answers it undermines our confidence in the company, as well as the products. I hope you understand and can relay this to the powers that be that at this point I think the forum members may feel you are the only link to clear answers.
7 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 4 years ago

Citing your own website education page does not answer the question about cobalt treatment. I read it myself. I would like a deeper educated researched answer. Thank you for your time. I’m considering an Iliana purchase for the first time. I’m waiting now.
2 x

Shop4joy

Post by Shop4joy » 4 years ago

Hello!
This is the very first time that I posted.
I have a question about, "windowing"?
I have read many articles on that subject; there are two types of "windowing" in Tanzanite.
I have never heard any discussion or explanation; as to why there is so much "windowing" in Tanzanite.
I would appreciate, any information. Thank you!
2 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Shop4joy wrote:
4 years ago
Hello!
This is the very first time that I posted.
I have a question about, "windowing"?
I have read many articles on that subject; there are two types of "windowing" in Tanzanite.
I have never heard any discussion or explanation; as to why there is so much "windowing" in Tanzanite.
I would appreciate, any information. Thank you!
Have you tried the GIA website?
1 x

Shop4joy

Yes, I have.
You can often see windowing, during presentations.
I have seen windowing, in AAAA Stones!
2 x

Gemsnob

Shop4joy wrote:
4 years ago
Yes, I have.
From my understanding, windowing can happen in any stone. Its a result of poor cutting. It appears as a dead space or zone because light isnt being reflected properly.
1 x

Gemsnob

Shop4joy wrote:
4 years ago
Yes, I have.
I dont watch the tanzanite presentations but if you see it on air in high end stones then Id say avoid unless you are comfortable taking a chance with their return policy. Maybe spend extra for a signature.
1 x

Shop4joy

Thank you!
Last edited by Shop4joy 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x