New grading system for Tanzanite?

Gemsnob

Re: New grading system for Tanzanite?

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Shop4joy wrote:
4 years ago
Thank you!
Youre welcome. Sorry I couldnt be of more help. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.
1 x

Shop4joy

Post by Shop4joy » 4 years ago

:D very much appreciated!!
1 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Shop4joy wrote:
4 years ago
Hello!
This is the very first time that I posted.
I have a question about, "windowing"?
I have read many articles on that subject; there are two types of "windowing" in Tanzanite.
I have never heard any discussion or explanation; as to why there is so much "windowing" in Tanzanite.
I would appreciate, any information. Thank you!
Windowing can either be deliberate like in a stone like tanzanite to allow light to come in so the pleochrosim is shown in all its glory. Windowing can also occur in poorer cut sapphires and can also indicate it was a shallow cut in a lower quality stone. Windowing in a AAAA tanzanite Illiana ring is deliberate and meant to showcase all the beautiful colors of tanzanite. The higher the pleochroism present, the higher the quality the stone is.
3 x

Shop4joy

Post by Shop4joy » 4 years ago

Hello and Thank you, Gemaholic.
I now have a better understanding; of what I have been reading.
Again, Thank you! :D
2 x

Shawne

Post by Shawne » 4 years ago

I wanted to post this reply from Danielle as she was kind enough to get back to me on my question about cobalt treatment for tanzanites. I know several of you were interested so I am posting her response. Enjoy! "I got confirmation from our merchandising team that we do not use any other treatment on tanzanite other than heat treating. Just wanted to let you know!"
2 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Unfortunately, Gemaholic, every day they come up with more ways to enhance, fill fissures, etc. to the gemstones
ilakaka pink sapphires are ALL fissure filled.
Mundarara rubies are also fissure filled - Tenner originally said it wasn’t, but even shoplc’s gem education site, said they were.
Even some Burmese rubies, besides being enhanced can be FF.
According to google site, Sometimes its FF with a fibrin material or glass.
In Essence, if you buy a stone, it might have undergone some enhancement.
I feel, if its for personal use, and looks great, then just handle as you would your glassware or fine china, and you should have a lifetime of wear.
If you bought it to resell at a profit, depends who is looking to buy it.
I was not aware of all these enhancement issues, when I bought a Niassa Ruby necklace from Shoplc about 2 years ago. My fault. It did say FF. I didn’t investigate, thinking it meant color enhanced.
No host warned me not to put FF stones in a ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. I loved the way the sonic cleaner, cleaned my jewelry. First time I tried to clean the Niassa Ruby in the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, the ruby stones “exploded” to bits🙀
LESSON LEARNED 😳
0 x