Be an informed bidder

MilfordsMrFixIt

Re: Be an informed bidder

Post by MilfordsMrFixIt » 4 years ago

No debate about it; There are a few bidders that are questionable. No names needed, we all see them. Usually on "premium" items. The bid starts at $1, then here's this 'person' or robot that puts a bid in at $100.00~200.00! How about letting the auction do it's thing and take actual bids. Are the robots just setting a reserve? Or maybe they are trying to scare the rest of us away? One of them slurped up an item that I was bidding on that was LISTED in the clearance area at $4.99 and I had a bid of $2.00. Good price until the up-pricer dropped a bid of $12.00 for the item. The ... uh...how can I say it gently....'Moron' could have gotten it for 5 buck outright!!! Not the best way to do business, but that's up the SLC
Update: Just saw that "Mer......" person with an automatic bid that was at $243 for an item that was in the clearance area for $101!!! Yes I double checked the numbers, item numbers same, and $ values are correct as I have them. This HAS to be a robot creating a reserve for fools? Anyone feel that way???
Last edited by MilfordsMrFixIt 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

SueB

Post by SueB » 4 years ago

I too love the auctions!! Yes sometimes we get lucky & sometimes no. I’ve had the fat finger thing happen a few times and accidentally bid way more than I want AND THAT MEANS I LOSE TOO!! However I have gotten pretty good at REMOVING ITEMS from RA cart that I won’t buy, instead of leaving for 3days( as a consideration to others). Also plz know that some items not our size so we have to come to auction & pay more!!!
1 x

SueB

Yes!!!!! I see the MERILEE OVER BIDDING ALOT & On All Sizes??????!
4 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Who is that Merilee? I was overbid twice by a guy
named Gray.
4 x

SueB

Lord yes!!!!! I can’t understand why anyone would pay 370-400$ for a diamond ring in sterling silver??? Or Morganite when it’s cheaper to buy outright!?!? Especially when you can get better stones in solid gold!! So why does she bid that much?????? Hummmmm
Last edited by SueB 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ruby

Post by Ruby » 4 years ago

i THINK THE CONTINUOUS OVERBIDDING IS ACTUALLY COMPUTER GENERATED WITH A MINIMUM PRICE POINT IN MIND. THE REASON I SAY THIS IS I HAD AN ITEM I REALLY WANTED AND LOST IT AT THE LAST MINUTE. I LOOKED AT THE "BID HISTORY" AND THERE WERE 12 BIDS BETWEEN TWO "PEOPLE" IN THE SPAN OF 0.5 SECONDS....YES, YOU READ THAT RIGHT...ONE HALF OF A SECOND. NO PERSON/PERSONS COULD POSSIBLY BID THAT QUICKLY.
0 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

That’s because those two people put in max bids. The computer keeps upping their bids automatically.
0 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

Ruby wrote:
4 years ago
i THINK THE CONTINUOUS OVERBIDDING IS ACTUALLY COMPUTER GENERATED WITH A MINIMUM PRICE POINT IN MIND. THE REASON I SAY THIS IS I HAD AN ITEM I REALLY WANTED AND LOST IT AT THE LAST MINUTE. I LOOKED AT THE "BID HISTORY" AND THERE WERE 12 BIDS BETWEEN TWO "PEOPLE" IN THE SPAN OF 0.5 SECONDS....YES, YOU READ THAT RIGHT...ONE HALF OF A SECOND. NO PERSON/PERSONS COULD POSSIBLY BID THAT QUICKLY.
We want to assure you that there are no robot programs artificially inflating bids. If you see bids occurring this frequently, it is an indication that at least one person has set a max bid for the item. The only program is with max bids, in which the bidder sets their bid to the amount that they are willing to pay for the item, and the system will then automatically bid on their behalf up to the max bid that they have set.
0 x

SueB

Don’t Buy #3349049 Pink Sapphire Ring In RG Vermeil!!!! 2nd size 8 I’ve got and the stone hangs over on one end badly!!!! 1st one dame and prongs were offset horribly!!! Ugh!!!!!!!
0 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

SueB wrote:
4 years ago
Don’t Buy #3349049 Pink Sapphire Ring In RG Vermeil!!!! 2nd size 8 I’ve got and the stone hangs over on one end badly!!!! 1st one dame and prongs were offset horribly!!! Ugh!!!!!!!
That ring doesn’t come up.
0 x