Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Spooky

Re: Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Post by Spooky » 2 months ago

Gemaholic wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:53 am
Gem Lover wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:46 am
What do the fillers look like under uv light?
If you use a UV light with a short wavelength (blue light) fillers will glow white..Also, your stone will not be uniform in color. I tested on a few Niassa pieces I bought in the past for fun and the fluorescence was uneven but not as bad as I thought it would be. The Burmese ones were sold so when you put them back to back you can see the difference.
Thanks Gemaholic!!! Just learned a ton. How does one tell the difference between a pink sapphire and a pink spinel then ? Also Can you
share what a synthetic gemstone looks like under
a loupe? I have a couple lighted loupes but don’t know
what to look for. Glad you are still here
5 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 2 months ago

I thought "Ruh Roh!" was Scooby Doo. I looked it up and found it WAS from The Jetson's! It started with The Jetson's dog, "Astro" and continued with Scooby Doo.

Well! Ya' really do learn something new every day! 😉
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 2 months ago

Catticus wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 pm
I thought "Ruh Roh!" was Scooby Doo. I looked it up and found it WAS from The Jetson's! It started with The Jetson's dog, "Astro" and continued with Scooby Doo.

I named a favorite cat "Astro" as a kid because I liked the Jetson's dog Astro.... just sayin' :D
6 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 2 months ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:57 pm
Catticus wrote: I thought "Ruh Roh!" was Scooby Doo. I looked it up and found it WAS from The Jetson's! It started with The Jetson's dog, "Astro" and continued with Scooby Doo.

I named a favorite cat "Astro" as a kid because I liked the Jetson's dog Astro.... just sayin' :D
That's a GREAT name for a cat! 🌺🐱🌺
5 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 2 months ago

That is strange abut the fissure filling lighting up as white, I bought an African ruby here and when I put the blue light on it it lite up like my Burmese ruby which I thought was odd but the reason I checked it was the stone is beautiful and does not have the typical fissure filled lines on it, It had no white at all. I even told my daughter I wondered if they screwed up and I got a stone that is not fissure filled, she thought it looked really nice too, it looks like hers which is not fissure filled, she purchased hers at a jeweler for $6000.oo. I am not usually that lucky, lol but it does make you wonder if someone messed up, it is not a huge ruby, I think it is 3 or 4 cts.
5 x

Moderator_Danielle

Post by Moderator_Danielle » 2 months ago

Gemaholic wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 am
After all the talk about cobalt coatings in tanzanite, I inspected and they are fine, BUT it got me to inspect my other SLC pieces. I am very upset. Spinel is NOT supposed to fluoresce under a UV light. I bought some rose spinel back in the day when they still sold it. Sadly, they all fluoresced strongly under short uv wavelength. I did some research and only synthetic spinel fluoresces under shorter wavelength uv lights (blue)or pink sapphires. It was also STRONG. That thing lit up like a Christmas tree! I am angry because it never said "Lab Created" (I still have the paperwork). They advertised it as real. The other option is not any better. Spinel is often confused with PINK SAPPHIRE. All corundums fluoresce, not just Burmese Rubies. So either they lied about it being lab created or they lied about it being a spinel. I'm very disgusted right now.
By the way, you can use a UV light to detect fillers in your gemstones. I suggests people start checking because after my find, SLC hasn't been honest.
Hello,

I have shared this concern with our content editor who is also GIA certified. Once I have some feedback from him I will come back this. Also, other things set aside, if there are any particular orders you need help with I am glad to help.
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 2 months ago

Catticus wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 pm

THAT’S because they were voiced by the same actor...Don Messick.
4 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 2 months ago

Some Burmese rubies are not only enhanced, but also fissure filled. Rubies from ANY place can be fissure filled. 99% undergo a enhancement process to enhance color and clarity. I dont put ANY Rubies or ilakaka pink sapphire in a ultrasonic cleaner. My Niassa ruby necklace which was about $200 from shoplc exploded in a ultrasonic cleaner. With all the hard to detect Enhancements available now, we all might have many enhanced, or lab made stones. I was shocked to find that a stamped 14k gold chain, was a fake. I have a diamond tester, but only the real costly ones can detect if its really only a moissanite. The light lit up for other gems too, even metal😱 I threw that one out.
2 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 2 months ago

I purchased a diamond tester that also
detects moissanite. Got it from jtv. Works
well. Was like $59. Look on eBay or jtv
2 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 2 months ago

Gemaholic wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:53 am
Gem Lover wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:46 am
What do the fillers look like under uv light?
If you use a UV light with a short wavelength (blue light) fillers will glow white..Also, your stone will not be uniform in color. I tested on a few Niassa pieces I bought in the past for fun and the fluorescence was uneven but not as bad as I thought it would be. The Burmese ones were solid so when you put them back to back you can see the difference.
1 x