Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Catticus

Re: Inspected more of my SLC jewelry w/ tools..very sad

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
Catticus wrote: I thought "Ruh Roh!" was Scooby Doo. I looked it up and found it WAS from The Jetson's! It started with The Jetson's dog, "Astro" and continued with Scooby Doo.

Well! Ya' really do learn something new every day! 😉
I named a favorite cat "Astro" as a kid because I liked the Jetson's dog Astro.... just sayin' :D
That's a GREAT name for a cat! 🌺🐱🌺
5 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

That is strange abut the fissure filling lighting up as white, I bought an African ruby here and when I put the blue light on it it lite up like my Burmese ruby which I thought was odd but the reason I checked it was the stone is beautiful and does not have the typical fissure filled lines on it, It had no white at all. I even told my daughter I wondered if they screwed up and I got a stone that is not fissure filled, she thought it looked really nice too, it looks like hers which is not fissure filled, she purchased hers at a jeweler for $6000.oo. I am not usually that lucky, lol but it does make you wonder if someone messed up, it is not a huge ruby, I think it is 3 or 4 cts.
5 x

Moderator_Danielle

Post by Moderator_Danielle » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
After all the talk about cobalt coatings in tanzanite, I inspected and they are fine, BUT it got me to inspect my other SLC pieces. I am very upset. Spinel is NOT supposed to fluoresce under a UV light. I bought some rose spinel back in the day when they still sold it. Sadly, they all fluoresced strongly under short uv wavelength. I did some research and only synthetic spinel fluoresces under shorter wavelength uv lights (blue)or pink sapphires. It was also STRONG. That thing lit up like a Christmas tree! I am angry because it never said "Lab Created" (I still have the paperwork). They advertised it as real. The other option is not any better. Spinel is often confused with PINK SAPPHIRE. All corundums fluoresce, not just Burmese Rubies. So either they lied about it being lab created or they lied about it being a spinel. I'm very disgusted right now.
By the way, you can use a UV light to detect fillers in your gemstones. I suggests people start checking because after my find, SLC hasn't been honest.
Hello,

I have shared this concern with our content editor who is also GIA certified. Once I have some feedback from him I will come back this. Also, other things set aside, if there are any particular orders you need help with I am glad to help.
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Catticus wrote:
4 years ago
I thought "Ruh Roh!" was Scooby Doo. I looked it up and found it WAS from The Jetson's! It started with The Jetson's dog, "Astro" and continued with Scooby Doo.

Well! Ya' really do learn something new every day! 😉
THAT’S because they were voiced by the same actor...Don Messick.
4 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Some Burmese rubies are not only enhanced, but also fissure filled. Rubies from ANY place can be fissure filled. 99% undergo a enhancement process to enhance color and clarity. I dont put ANY Rubies or ilakaka pink sapphire in a ultrasonic cleaner. My Niassa ruby necklace which was about $200 from shoplc exploded in a ultrasonic cleaner. With all the hard to detect Enhancements available now, we all might have many enhanced, or lab made stones. I was shocked to find that a stamped 14k gold chain, was a fake. I have a diamond tester, but only the real costly ones can detect if its really only a moissanite. The light lit up for other gems too, even metal😱 I threw that one out.
2 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

I purchased a diamond tester that also
detects moissanite. Got it from jtv. Works
well. Was like $59. Look on eBay or jtv
2 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
What do the fillers look like under uv light?
If you use a UV light with a short wavelength (blue light) fillers will glow white..Also, your stone will not be uniform in color. I tested on a few Niassa pieces I bought in the past for fun and the fluorescence was uneven but not as bad as I thought it would be. The Burmese ones were solid so when you put them back to back you can see the difference.
1 x

Gemaholic

Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
That is strange abut the fissure filling lighting up as white, I bought an African ruby here and when I put the blue light on it it lite up like my Burmese ruby which I thought was odd but the reason I checked it was the stone is beautiful and does not have the typical fissure filled lines on it, It had no white at all. I even told my daughter I wondered if they screwed up and I got a stone that is not fissure filled, she thought it looked really nice too, it looks like hers which is not fissure filled, she purchased hers at a jeweler for $6000.oo. I am not usually that lucky, lol but it does make you wonder if someone messed up, it is not a huge ruby, I think it is 3 or 4 cts.
are you conducting the tests in a dark room? Also, make sure you are wearing protective glasses when you do this. Don't flash it straight on since the light will reflect back at your eye. Synthetic sapphires turn bright red under a uv light. If you have a Burmese Ruby and a synthetic (not fissure filled) sapphire, put them next together to see the different. I have a synthetic (not simulated, just lab created) pink sapphire a friend gave me and it is bright red under UV. It's brighter than the Burmese Ruby. That's another way you can tell if something is lab created.
Last edited by Gemaholic 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Gemaholic

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
After all the talk about cobalt coatings in tanzanite, I inspected and they are fine, BUT it got me to inspect my other SLC pieces. I am very upset. Spinel is NOT supposed to fluoresce under a UV light. I bought some rose spinel back in the day when they still sold it. Sadly, they all fluoresced strongly under short uv wavelength. I did some research and only synthetic spinel fluoresces under shorter wavelength uv lights (blue)or pink sapphires. It was also STRONG. That thing lit up like a Christmas tree! I am angry because it never said "Lab Created" (I still have the paperwork). They advertised it as real. The other option is not any better. Spinel is often confused with PINK SAPPHIRE. All corundums fluoresce, not just Burmese Rubies. So either they lied about it being lab created or they lied about it being a spinel. I'm very disgusted right now.
By the way, you can use a UV light to detect fillers in your gemstones. I suggests people start checking because after my find, SLC hasn't been honest.
You mean Mahenge pink Spinel? I have earrings with that gem. Then it's possible that it could be synthetic. Years ago, I took a loose Fire Opal to be examined and the gemologist told that is was a poorly cut stone and it was a Synthetic Opal. I was furious. I called the company back then was known as Liquidation channel. Unfortunately, I could not return it. Back then they had a no return policy. But the loose amethyst and aquamarine are real and are both set in 18kt gold.

Yes,I believe it was Mahenge. I got them back when they were The Jewelry Channel and back then they were very general with their gemstone descriptions. They would just say "African Amethyst". Now, they show more specific locations. I also got a pink spinel when they were Liquidation Channel and it definitely did not say synthetic. The way it is fluorescing, it has to be synthetic.
3 x

Moderator_Connor

Post by Moderator_Connor » 4 years ago

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
Good Afternoon, Gemaholic!

In regards to the Spinel(s), we have received a notice from our department teams.

Fluorescence of spinel can vary. Pink to red spinel may or may not display fluorescence under both short or long form UV light.

Some references note that synthetic spinel displays fluorescence differently than naturally occurring spinel. Others sources say that the origin also affects spinel fluorescence. A single test is not usually sufficient to determine origin.
2 x