Teeny weeny irritations- Can ya tell I'm bored?

JewelryQueen

Teeny weeny irritations- Can ya tell I'm bored?

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

1) What mastermind came up with not teaching cursive writing in school?

So I walk to the store 3 blocks away. Don't purchase a lot because I am going to have to schlepp this stuff home. Oh I forgot my debit card. No problemo! I brought my checkbook. I live very close. I have never written a bad check in my life. The kid who is checking says "I'll have to have my manager OK this." Whaaaat?' "I can't read this" he says. Now this is not like reading War and Peace but I stand in line for almost 15 minutes until the dinosaur shows to give the thumbs up.

2) Literally

Heard this one? "My heart literally jumped out of my chest!" Gee there is not much damage to your blouse. Did it take a long time to teach it to do that? "My eyes literally popped out of my head." So now you are losing more body parts. Wasn't it hard to find them without being able to see?

3) Absolutely

Did the bus come today? "Absolutely!" Shall I let the cat out? "Absolutely!" Did the sun come up today? "Absolutely!" Have these people never heard of the word yes? Sometimes less is absolutely more!
8 x

Ginger

Re: Teeny weeny irritations- Can ya tell I'm bored?

Post by Ginger » 4 years ago

Did you know our 11 year old grandson doesn’t know how to write in cursive? I was speechless when I heard they stopped it in the school’s in our area, so none of our 6 grandsons will learn unless I teach them. I love to write daily & especially articles for our newspaper. I don’t agree with it at all & our adult children refuse to write in cursive too. I love writing letters, journals & in an every day thought book. I honestly think they’re doing a disservice to the children growing up now by not teaching them cursive writing. And they don’t let them say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore either.
5 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

Can't teach kids to write cursive, but can spend big bucks on the football / basketball programs at school.
4 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Well, eventually, if I end up in a nursing home, I can write in cursive and my kids will think it is code. I can communicate with everyone around me and my kids will never know.
Here in Ohio, we had Common Core Math. Most kids have no clue how to do basic addition or subtraction. You notice when you go through the drive through a teens cannot figure out your change without the cash register. Its sad really.
4 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Angelflutter wrote:
4 years ago
Can't teach kids to write cursive, but can spend big bucks on the football / basketball programs at school.
Agree ❗ when my kids were little I refused to let them wear the velcro strapped tennis shoes (brand new idea when they were small) because I wanted to be sure they could tie a bow!! Some kids couldn't and that bothered me. However being left handed and.my husband right handed we tied shoes different. Finally told him that only one of us could teach the kids because we were confusing.the *heck* out.of them.
Needless to say My kids tied their shoes Left handed 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Last edited by Gypsy 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Gypsy

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Well, eventually, if I end up in a nursing home, I can write in cursive and my kids will think it is code. I can communicate with everyone around me and my kids will never know.
Here in Ohio, we had Common Core Math. Most kids have no clue how to do basic addition or subtraction. You notice when you go through the drive through a teens cannot figure out your change without the cash register. Its sad really.
I know !!!! I've seen kids stand and stare at the register display and the change drawer trying to figure out how to count. I wouldnt be surprised if on the screen we cant see are actually pictures of the coins with a number beside so they know what to give back 😳
5 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Yes. I HATE it when someone doesn't count back the change. They just look at the amount to give back and just throw it in your hand. It's really funny when the power is out and they need to: 1.) Write order down by hand, 2.) Use a key to unlock register then 3.) Get the deer in the headlight look when it comes time to count back the change. And last but not least.... will believe any amount that you tell them you're supposed to get back. I just shake my head in wonderment. I personally have never told them the wrong amount, but I see how quickly they dig out your change...... in case they would forget what you told them and would be embarrassed to ask you again.
5 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
Angelflutter wrote:
4 years ago
Agree ❗ when my kids were little I refused to let them wear the velcro strapped tennis shoes (brand new idea when they were small) because I wanted to be sure they could tie a bow!! Some kids couldn't and that bothered me. However being left handed and.my husband right handed we tied shoes different. Finally told him that only one of us could teach the kids because we were confusing.the *heck* out.of them.
I’m left handed! Gee...can’t ya tell? 🤪🤪🤪

LEFTIES UNITE (or is the UNTIE?)

Don’t EVEN get me started on spiral bound notebooks.
3 x

Gypsy

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
Angelflutter wrote:
4 years ago

YES !!!! Agree about the notebooks 😳😳😳scissors, ironing boards , try to read directions to learn crocheting or knitting..my stitching looks backwards to everyone else!!!!!
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago

YES !!!! Agree about the notebooks 😳😳😳scissors, ironing boards , try to read directions to learn crocheting or knitting..my stitching looks backwards to everyone else!!!!!
I actually use scissors with my right hand, always have. And using a knife?....when I am eating I use the knife with my right hand. When cooking (slicing, dicing, etc.) I use my left!
If I even TRY to use my right to slice a roast or something I cannot do it. I have to slice to serve using my left. But to eat...my right.
Wow...I am weird.

Oh yeah...ironing boards? Used backwards right? I do.

And I never could learn to crochet, always wanted to. So instead I paint and other stuff.
3 x