Since the ruby smack down...

CJM

Since the ruby smack down...

Post by CJM » 4 years ago

I decided to research ruby a bit, especially Burmese ruby. I was amazed at the low prices for huge ruby rings. Karen explained the FF process; she said it was an acceptable process for today’s ruby market. I wanted a Burmese ruby; so I went to the LC education page which has been “updated “ since last I read it. LC used to claim Burmese ruby was from the Mogok mines and were untreated. Now their Burmese rubies are from the Mong Shu mine which produces highly included rubies that require extensive treatment (heating and FF). I googled this mine; it provides over 90% of the Burmese rubies on the market today. So, I don’t know if hosts explain all of this information during presentations. I still watch periodically with mute engaged. But one thing I do know now is that LC has settled on providing lesser quality stones to their customers. I for one no longer want to continue a business relationship with them. LC has changed so much in the past year and a half; not for the good. I might buy items like inexpensive bead necklace; I will no longer purchase expensive items just to be disappointed.
7 x

Gem Lover

Re: Since the ruby smack down...

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

I agree, their prices have gown up and quality has gone down.
5 x

Kittycat

Post by Kittycat » 4 years ago

I won't buy any FF stones. I thought the Burmese were NOT FF. I have a few of them from Shop LC.
4 x

What-a-gem

Post by What-a-gem » 4 years ago

When presenting Burmese Rubies, they still do not print in the graphics the (ff) for fissure filled.
I think that’s criminal!
A year ago I purchased a Burmese Ruby ring from LC. I wouldn’t have purchased it if I’d of known that it was ff.
I had intended that to be an heirloom piece. Where’s the Joy? Where’s the honesty LC? 😡
3 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

I also thought that Burmese rubies were a higher grade of Ruby. I was so disappointed to read all the articles stating there is artificial Resin or glass added to the Rubies to enhance them by filling cracks etc. It seems that most gemstones undergo some sort of enhancement process. The natural ones are prohibitively expensive, usually grabbed up by collectors.
I have a few inherited antique pieces of jewelry. Those are the ones I know were mined before they had the means to enhance them. After realizing that most of my gemstones are probably enhanced, I have a new appreciation for my Grandma’s jewels.
I have so many gemstones I bought from Shoplc, thinking I scored great jewels at a great price. Now I know I got what I paid for. They are still beautiful to look at and wear, I just have to deal with their greatly reduced monetary value.
3 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Approximately 97% of all gemstones are enhanced in some way. In order to bring affordable gems to the market, networks are forced to bring gems with ff, irradiation, heat, oiling, etc. You can shop Gem Shopping Network and find great pieces but you will spend plenty. Most of their jewelry is set in 14kt or higher. They sell acceptable treated gems such as heating and oiling but not ff and rarely the irratiated diamond. Like I said when I first joined the forum, you cannot rely on hosts for your education nor can you expect any to tell you more than the bare minimum. Do your own research and if you want quality expect to pay for it. If you want qauntity, variety and affordability then Shoplc will work for you but never believe your pieces will be heirloom. Its probably not happening here.
4 x

MilfordsMrFixIt

Post by MilfordsMrFixIt » 4 years ago

Agreed on most of that. I bought the Niassa Ruby ring with Thai Black Spinel flanking. (3420349) Beautiful ring. The FF in the stone is almost perfect. (resin fill) I had an offer from a jeweler that I am friends with at $400! ("Start price was $899) Not bad! (My bet is he'd offer it for sale in his case at about $600, too bad they are sold out!) I happen to like the ring, bought it for a daily wear item and is standing up well with many many compliments.
This stone's replacement with a near perfect one of the same size and cut would be nearly $11,000! So, YES! You get what you pay for! If you expect to get an $11,000+ ring for 100 bucks, then that's...."on you"
Last edited by MilfordsMrFixIt 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Does anyone know when SLC stopped receiving thier Burmese Rubies from the Mogok mine and started with the Mong Shu mine ???
2 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

MilfordsMrFixIt wrote:
4 years ago
Agreed on most of that. I bought the Niassa Ruby ring with Thai Black Spinel flanking. (3420349) Beautiful ring. The FF in the stone is almost perfect. I had an offer from a jeweler that I am friends with at $400! ("Start price was $899) Not bad! (My bet is he'd offer it for sale in his case at about $600, too bad they are sold out!) I happen to like the ring, bought it for a daily wear item and is standing up well with many many compliments.
I own ff rubies as well. I like them and wear them. I cannot afford beautiful , translucent Burmese rubies. Corundum should not be opaque. What they call Burmese usually is. It doesnt mean I believe my ff rubies will ever be worth money. $400 may be more than you spent but its not going to pay bills for my kids some day. Its not heirloom.
3 x

MilfordsMrFixIt

Post by MilfordsMrFixIt » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
MilfordsMrFixIt wrote:
4 years ago
Agreed on most of that. I bought the Niassa Ruby ring with Thai Black Spinel flanking. (3420349) Beautiful ring. The FF in the stone is almost perfect. I had an offer from a jeweler that I am friends with at $400! ("Start price was $899) Not bad! (My bet is he'd offer it for sale in his case at about $600, too bad they are sold out!) I happen to like the ring, bought it for a daily wear item and is standing up well with many many compliments.
I own ff rubies as well. I like them and wear them. I cannot afford beautiful , translucent Burmese rubies. Corundum should not be opaque. What they call Burmese usually is. It doesnt mean I believe my ff rubies will ever be worth money. $400 may be more than you spent but its not going to pay bills for my kids some day. Its not heirloom.
The ones that jump out in the jewelry cases that are transparent are clearly fake, the ones that you see that are not quite and priced crazy high are usually real. I am not looking to fund my heirs' accounts in any way. So the $350 profit on this ring would be nice for anyone, but certainly not the 'one' that will fulfill a couple college funds for the grandkids! (They are, fortunately, all doing well anyway). I play the jewelry game as a hobby. Win most, not all as I say. I sell the major portion of what I buy.
2 x