Disclosing gems treatments

Margui

Disclosing gems treatments

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

I remember that scandal that other shopping network had in 2008 with that Red Andesine-Labradorite, the color was not natural at all it was diffused but they were selling it like it was natural. That shopping network had lawsuits after that. And that retail store famous by their holiday parades was having trouble for selling fissure-filled rubies as untreated.

If the Burmese Rubies and I supposed the same with that Burmese sapphire, are fissure filled why I don't see the (FF) initials on each product? I see the (FF-fissure filled) on the Niassa Ruby description, Dyed on Burmese Jade, diffusion on star sapphire. I think the Tahitian pearls are all natural, not bleached, the Sleeping Beauty turquoise is stabilized.

I don't think disclosing treatments is bad. Any thoughts?
3 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Re: Disclosing gems treatments

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

Gemstones and their treatments are listed in our Education Center at the following link: https://www.shoplc.com/education/gemsto ... ments-list

You can also get to this list by going to the Education Center tab, selecting "Gemstone Enhancement" from the drop down menu, then clicking on the "View Gemstone Enhancement List" link on the enhancement page.
2 x

Margui

Thank you, Stephanie.
1 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

I have contacted personal shoppers and customer service and asked if a Burmese Ruby item had any treatment and if so what kind, I got different answers from everyone I spoke with. One ring I purchased was a burmese Ruby with champagne diamonds I took it to a jewelry appraiser and I did not tell them where it was purchased, I told them I wanted to know if it was worth keeping, I was told it was fissure filled and had low commercial grade diamonds, I went home and called customer service and asked to speak with a supervisor, I told her what the jeweler told me and she said that item was fissure filled after the host said it was not and the website did not say fissure filled either, I sent it back, I like others am now questioning all my Burmese Ruby purchases.
4 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

Every single host claim shop lc burmese ruby is NOT fissure filled and under the item description on all burmese ruby jewelry none have the FF or says fissure filled, none of them but yet this is on their website under burmese ruby education: Through our exclusive network of dealers and partners, Shop LC can offer this highly coveted and prized gemstone. Previously offering Mogok material, Shop LC now offers Burmese ruby from another highly-regarded mine. Mong Shu, Myanmar is known for producing rubies with a strong blue core. When processed through traditional heating and fissure filling treatments, a fine rutile “silk” forms, creating a stone with strong visual appeal. The treatment is permanent and will last with proper care. This makes me very angry to think I am spending a lot more money on burmese when it is not worth anymore then the Niassa ruby if this information is correct. I think I will take all my burmese jewelry to a jeweler to have it checked.
3 x

Kharailee

Post by Kharailee » 4 years ago

I bought a Paraiba Topaz ring and pendant and was shocked to find out it was coated. I read the description before purchasing and it did not state it that it was coated anywhere. I find that worrying as I now cannot trust the description that ShopLC provides. I wish that ShopLC would be more transparent with its customers, so we would be more comfortable to shop.
6 x

Kharailee

Post by Kharailee » 4 years ago

I never knew that their Burmese rubies were fissure filled. I have bought both African and Burmese rubies and feel sad that they are fissure filled. They are now worthless. This definitely does not Deliver Joy to me.
5 x

Flymom

Post by Flymom » 4 years ago

I too am having the same concerns with the burmese rubies I purchased. I purchased them under the belief that they were natural only heat treated. Why would I believe that because that was what spoken by the host on air during the auction. It just wasn't a one time occurrence either. Then that dreary day came when I discovered the truth under their gemstone treatment section. My heart sank into my stomach. I was bamboozled. I have lost my confidence in shop lc and am extremely disappointed.
4 x

Terry

Post by Terry » 4 years ago

All treatments should be disclosed in the product description so that the hosts know it and the shoppers know it. Isn't that the ethical thing to do? The hosts just read what is in front of them as do the customer service people, in my experience. Customers should not have to go to another location on the ShopLC website or any other place to seek out the full product description as the product is being aired and customers make decisions based on the product information in front of them. They should not have to spend time to verify that their product is "as advertised", as I had to do with a Shungite Frog I purchased. After reading the other comments on disclosure, I am not happy. I think I have to bring a few items to the jeweler for review since I bought them with the intention of them increasing in value and selling them at a later date to make a little bit of money. I am not a jeweler or expert who knows whether or not items are being treated because I am relying on ShopLC to provide that information up front. In the past, I have compared a few items I bought from ShopLC to similar kinds of items in Macy's, Kohl's, BJ's Warehouse and some of the ShopLC item's quality did not make me happy at all. Honestly, I took those items back home, flung them across the room and then decided to give them away. How could I wear those items when I felt that I was being "taken". ShopLC needs to do more work when they advertise a product, including looking at HSN and others to see how they advertise and disclose product information.
9 x

Margui

Re: Disclosing gems treatment

I will replace those rubies but not the casting. I love their flower designs. The other gems like amethysts and garnets don't need such treatment. A jeweler told my that my heart-shaped amethyst ring is of a good quality.
4 x