Grandidierite and Kat Florence

Lulu

Grandidierite and Kat Florence

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

Was watching GSN yesterday and they had a slew of Kat's pieces. Kat works exclusively with D-flawless diamonds which have become so hard to find that she is now only designing one-of-a-kinds.

There was a grandidierite ring in the 4+ ct range set in 18K with her D-flawless diamonds. You know that stone had to be considered top quality and yet, the best it could be described is semi-transparent. It also looked like it had color zoning as some areas looked darker/more green than others. It could have been the lighting. But, seeing what 'the best' looks like made me feel pretty good about the pieces SLC offers.

I have no idea what the price was as everything was call in and we'll tell you our secret, secret price. Considering a pair of her earrings in 3.70 grams of 18 kt and .75 cts of diamonds was originally priced at $25,000, I can only imagine.
5 x

Jt
Answers: 1

Re: Grandidierite and Kat Florence

Post by Jt » 4 years ago

Thank you Lulu for sharing taking the time to report this useful good to know information.
T
4 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

Sorry your jewelry was not as it seemed on TV Rolltide. It sound like bait and switch, have you ordered with them before? I wonder if they are using some sort of filters that make the items look like they have color or maybe they swap out the good stone for a lesser quality before shipping it.
4 x

Lulu

Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
@Gem Lover That is the only time I have ordered items from that Don out of Africa and I kept nothing of his. And yes, was either bait and switch, or only other thing I can imagine is if the cold weather affected the opals, idk, but SOMETHING wasn't right. I have a ring from Cirari that comes on there, is my old mine turquoise ring, and I love it. I also have a vintage south sea pearl ring from Alan, and a dome shield sapphire and diamond estate ring from the pearl guy from Australia (not Mark the opal hunter). I love both those rings. I had an antique bow ring with rubies and a platinum diamond estate ring that was supposed to be sized right before Christmas, was from Alan, but 3 weeks went by and I finally called and cancelled them because no one could tell me what the deal was or when they would ship. Seems like many of the vendors on GSN bring their goods there that they were unable to sell elsewhere, so that is why they discount sometimes, but most of the time they will charge too much for the stuff if you let them.
That is so disappointing for you. I've never bought anything from them because the item always sells out by the time I get through. Thanks for the heads up on Don. He and Ronnie Molloy must be best buds because Ronnie sure shills for him. Ronnie is another one you have to watch out for. His zultanite is hit or miss. The estate pieces usually catch my eye. Plus, I've heard their shipping prices are ridiculous.

I'll keep an eye out for the grandidierite - it sure seemed something was off with that stone. Can't imagine why Kat used it (maybe he switched it?).
1 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Wow. I am so disappointed. I always thought that the item GSN shows is the item we receive.
I believe that the Gem hunter Mark from Australia is honest. He has all ranges of quality. One of my acquaintances bought a pair of loose yellow diamonds from him. She said that what he showed on air is what he sent her.
2 x

Maggie1295

Post by Maggie1295 » 4 years ago

I didn't like grandidierite when it first came to ShopLC. To me it's an ugly, lifeless stone. I was always aware that ShopLC was not selling gem quality grandidierite and then I was the supposedly gem quality stuff on GSN for many thousands of dollars and I still didn't like it. It was opaque rather than the heavily included rocks they sell here but still not (in my opinion) pretty or desirable at any price.
3 x

Lulu

Because I have no taste, I actually prefer the lighter seafoam color grandidierite. To me it has a velvety appearance rather than a hard luster.
2 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
Because I have no taste, I actually prefer the lighter seafoam color grandidierite. To me it has a velvety appearance rather than a hard luster.
@Lulu

Me too 😊 love the seafoam color reminds me of seaglass. 💕
I know I'll never be able to afford $20k per carat of anything and I do love Grandidierite and I've been very pleased with each piece. I have only returned one Grandidierite necklace because of ugly black spots.and heavy inclusions. - Gypsy
3 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
@Lulu
dearie, yer not supposed to eat them!
5 x