Opal grading system

Barbara

Opal grading system

Post by Barbara » 4 years ago

After seeing the AAAA welo opal a few minutes ago, I went and started researching opals. Now I’m really confused. Many sites I went on use N1, N2, N3 etc for grading. Plus, I learned that there are techniques there where stones can be enhanced. I’m not sure if it will be answered, but a question to the host asking if any of the well opals are enhanced would put my mind at ease. I thought they were all natural.
4 x

honey

Re: Opal grading system

Post by honey » 4 years ago

Hi Barbara, I don't own an Opal, I don't know about the
grading of the gem. For whatever it's worth....Karen just
said, (don't know if it's just the one she is airing now) that
it's 100% Natural, NO Treatment.

If yer lookin' to get in on the Opal action, Best Wishes.

I am leaving this smack down to allllll the Opal Lovers
out there. :)
4 x

Barbara

Thank you Honey! I kept waiting but don’t have the bionic bladder as I once did. Plus, a thank you to Karen for responding
3 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Barbara: It's possible the higher the number, the better the quality. I wonder what are the quality of those Welo Opals. Some customers said their opals turned an ugly yellow color. To my knowledge, I don't think an Opal should have such problems.
2 x

Barbara

After reading up on the grading system, you are probably correct. I have a friend with an opal that has turned dull. She just found out that washing dishes and bathing ruined her stone, plus I’m not sure if it was a quality stone to begin with. I have learned so much about jewelry this past year and it’s a subject that always reminds me of being a lifelong learner. :)
2 x

jojosmom

Post by jojosmom » 4 years ago

honey wrote:
4 years ago
Hi Barbara, I don't own an Opal, I don't know about the
grading of the gem. For whatever it's worth....Karen just
said, (don't know if it's just the one she is airing now) that
it's 100% Natural, NO Treatment.

If yer lookin' to get in on the Opal action, Best Wishes.

I am leaving this smack down to allllll the Opal Lovers
out there. :)
Unfortunately, this is not a smack down. Not when the smack down prices are more than the original price. Example: My wish list had the Opal Tennis Necklace at $299 they have it smacked down :lol: :lol: :lol: to 349.

Also, I know how to keep and store my opals and pretty much every Welo Opal I have bought (I have bought A LOT) are turning the color of PEE!!!
There is no way to stop it or reverse it. :cry:
4 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

You are not supposed to do dishes or bath etc... with your opals on, it will damage them. I own a few opals that are 4 to 5 cts. and those have not yellowed but I had one gemstone ring that was surrounded by small opals and that one yellowed after not being worn for a few months but I ran it under the faucet for a half second and than wore it for the day and the yellow went away, I think it was to dry and that is why it yellowed. Welo opals absorb water but to much water can make them lose color but It seems if it is to dry that may cause yellowing. Never leave your opal near a colored liquid such as wine, it will absorb the liquid and take on the color of it.
5 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

I'm just glad they quit smoking the opals. Maybe someone wants an opal the color of dog crap, but not me. And NO chemicals, detergents, hairspray etc. of any kind around opals, especially welo opals as they are as bad or worse than pearls.
5 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Opals are delicate gems like pearls, turquoise and coral. ShopLC should products to clean these delicate gems. Never bathe, wash or sleeping while wearing them.
3 x