Post by Boston Irish » 3 years ago

Jewerly Queen you for sure Rock with that story!🎸🎶🎤🍀
8 x

SueB

Re: Concerts

Post by SueB » 3 years ago

CJM wrote:
3 years ago
Doobie brothers deep purple Johnny Winter’s Jethro Tull Heart The Firm Brian Adams Cory Hart Lynard Skynard Bon Jovi Steppenwolf Robert Plant Eagles Cheap Trick Yes those were the best days! I lived in Austin Tx. Best concerts! I still listen to all this music. My dream concert would be to see David Gilmore/Pink Floyd!!
Lucky you! Robert Plant!!!
7 x

SueB

Post by SueB » 3 years ago

Not so much then However did manage to see Ronnie James Dio about ten yrs before he passed... never forget!!!!! Deep Purple oh my.... went to a lot in the 2000’s... last Concerts were Tesla& Def Leopard and def definitely rocked it!!! I’m a couple yrs younger... Godsmack & Shinedown inPeoria IL was 3 rows up from corner of stage AMAZING! Saw Sammy Hagar Quite a few times Splurged & took girlfriend (tenth row seats on floor isle) & when he did Eagles Fly I looked over @ her and hands across her chest & mouth hanging open=PRICELESS!!!
6 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 3 years ago

SueB wrote:
3 years ago
CJM wrote:
3 years ago
Doobie brothers deep purple Johnny Winter’s Jethro Tull Heart The Firm Brian Adams Cory Hart Lynard Skynard Bon Jovi Steppenwolf Robert Plant Eagles Cheap Trick Yes those were the best days! I lived in Austin Tx. Best concerts! I still listen to all this music. My dream concert would be to see David Gilmore/Pink Floyd!!
Lucky you! Robert Plant!!!
Yes! Robert Plant!

And...Johnny Winter!

The "Winter Brothers", Johnny and Edgar, were child prodigies!

Total musical geniuses!

@CJM YES! Those definitely were the days!
7 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 3 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
3 years ago
Been to many a concert in my time but I think I got y'all beat. When I was very young- 16? I think- my family was visiting friends in Berkeley and I heard a rumor that Janice Joplin was having a party at a house she was renting in Oakland. I managed to hitch a ride to the general area. Found the house. Wasn't too hard as there were about a dozen Harley motorcycles out front.

Having no fear and less brains, I knocked on the door and Guess Who opened it!?! "Who are you, whaddya want, an how much ya willing to pay for it?" Totally startled and not knowing how to respond, I burst into song "Have another little piece of my heart now, baby. You know you got it if it makes you feel good!" Even though I could not- and still can't- carry a tune in a bucket with four handles, amazingly entry was granted. And yes, she really did drink Jack Daniels straight out of the bottle. And yes she really did have a rumbling belly laugh. And no- I didn't stay long. Feeling the call of nature I was looking for the bathroom and stumbled into a room filled floor to ceilings **** plants. Time to exit stage left.

I knocked on neighbors doors until I found someone willing to let me use their phone. Oh how the mighty have fallen! Sheepish, I had to have my Grandfather come and pick me up. That amazing man never asked me a single question. Still--one of the more unforgettable moments in my life.
You met Janis Joplin! 😫

LOVE LOVE LOVE her! Especially when she was with "Big Brother Holding Company"!

Her friends called her "Pearl." And she was a pearl, at that! A very kind, sweet woman.
10 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 3 years ago

JQ I can’t imagine meeting Janis Joplin! I listened to her music all the time when I was in high school. Anyone on the forum ever live in Austin in the early eighties? If so did you ever go to Cardi’s? I believe it was north west of the city. It was a big building that was a bar. They used to have live bands all the time. Some of the best non commercial bands I’ve ever seen came there. Saw Zebra there just by luck. I miss those days. Some things should never change!
8 x

TXgal

Post by TXgal » 3 years ago

I saw them in more recent years, but I have seen Boston, Aerosmith, Steve Miller Band, Pat Benetar, and in the 90s, my FAVORITE was The Eagles’ “H3ll Freezes Over” tour - so epic!!! I was too young to see them “in their time,” I suppose, but luckily some of these are timeless and continued touring by the time I was old enough to go! :)
6 x

TXgal

Post by TXgal » 3 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
3 years ago
Been to many a concert in my time but I think I got y'all beat. When I was very young- 16? I think- my family was visiting friends in Berkeley and I heard a rumor that Janice Joplin was having a party at a house she was renting in Oakland. I managed to hitch a ride to the general area. Found the house. Wasn't too hard as there were about a dozen Harley motorcycles out front.

Having no fear and less brains, I knocked on the door and Guess Who opened it!?! "Who are you, whaddya want, an how much ya willing to pay for it?" Totally startled and not knowing how to respond, I burst into song "Have another little piece of my heart now, baby. You know you got it if it makes you feel good!" Even though I could not- and still can't- carry a tune in a bucket with four handles, amazingly entry was granted. And yes, she really did drink Jack Daniels straight out of the bottle. And yes she really did have a rumbling belly laugh. And no- I didn't stay long. Feeling the call of nature I was looking for the bathroom and stumbled into a room filled floor to ceilings **** plants. Time to exit stage left.

I knocked on neighbors doors until I found someone willing to let me use their phone. Oh how the mighty have fallen! Sheepish, I had to have my Grandfather come and pick me up. That amazing man never asked me a single question. Still--one of the more unforgettable moments in my life.
JQ, you are my idol! What an incredible story!!!!! I have one claim to fame that I’m kinda proud of...met Willie Nelson once! And you know what was in that bathroom at Janis’? Welllll...I may have partaken with Willie. I probably didn’t inhale though - can’t remember. I was only 18! ;-)
8 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@TXgal

How cool was that!? Getting to meet Willie Nelson. I really admire his music and his voice-- but in all honesty I think he is one of the most homely people I have ever seen. I prefer to listen to his music with no visual. Sounds like a good time was had by all in any event .

I have survived being run over by a truck (twice), delivered a baby at a commune, been interviewed by Interpol, Met Janice Joplin and Steve Miller among others, knew Ann Rule the author, etc. etc. A few people say "How could all of that happen to you"? My answer is-- I ran full tilt boogie after adventure and did not wait for it to come to me. I am old now, and don't run as fast as I used to but I would not change the life I have had for anything.
6 x