Kitty mommies, HELP!!!

anniebelle

Kitty mommies, HELP!!!

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Just went another long round with Milo! His " play" is so aggressive it doesn't feel like play at all. I just don't know what to do, never had a kitty like this before. Where's Jackson Galaxy when you need him?!?! We are cuddling less and less, wrestling more often, just to keep him off biting my arms and hands. I am literally in tears. If I can't figure this out, I'll have to get rid of him. Any experience with this kind of behavior?
4 x

Gypsy

Re: Kitty mommies, HELP!!!

Post by Gypsy » 3 years ago

Most of the kittens I've had have grown out of this behavior, and it could be because he was used to roughhousing with other kitties. I would gently but firmly tap him on his nose or forehead with finger and tell him STOP and put him off your lap till hes ready to be in cuddle mode. -Gypsy
5 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

Annabelle, you could get a water bottle and spritz in a little while he does that and see if that helps. I feel for you because one of My daughters cat bites you in the back of the leg when he want something none of them roughhouse like that. You do what you need to do as we get older our skin gets really thin and I know it hurts, but I also know you love Milo have a great day. I am talk texting that’s why some of the words didn’t come out right, sorry
2 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

Try not to play with him with your fingers. Don't wiggle them to get his attention. Only use a toy. If you have a string, pull that around for him but DO NOT leave string out for him. Don't want him to eat it. There are cat toys attached to a plastic stick or rod. You can also tie toys or feathers attached to string on chairs or doorknobs for Milo. The more choices, the better. Also, cats like paper bags and boxes. You can set them out so he can entertain himself. If you offer treats, try hiding a couple in places so he can use his nose. Years ago, my husband was at a friend's house. The neighbors came home and found a box of tiny kittens in their garbage. Hubby brought one home. The vet thought he was only 3 to 4 weeks old. As this cat grew up, his play was more aggressive than our other cats. We tried to keep him entertained. He especially got aggressive if he saw fingers or toes moving under the covers of our bed. I would do what Gypsy suggested and tap on nose or top of head with a firm "no" and put him down. He's a baby so you have to teach him. Good luck!
4 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

Also, his teeth right now are especially sharp and painful. He will lose his baby teeth. Sometimes , like with human baby's, new teeth are uncomfortable when coming in and he will look for things to chew.
4 x

anniebelle

Gypsy wrote:
3 years ago
Most of the kittens I've had have grown out of this behavior, and it could be because he was used to roughhousing with other kitties. I would gently but firmly tap him on his nose or forehead with finger and tell him STOP and put him off your lap till hes ready to be in cuddle mode. -Gypsy
Been trying that. He can't be put off when he doesn't want to. He literally flies at me, lunging his whole body and then latching on, legs and mouth flayling! I'm trying not to get too rough with him. In self defense I toss him away from me, he just comes right back! Those teeth! There's a bad cut on my hand that's been reopened twice!
1 x

anniebelle

Harlequin wrote:
3 years ago
Annabelle, you could get a water bottle and spritz in a little while he does that and see if that , helps. I feel for you because one of My daughters cat bites you in the back of the leg when he want something none of them roughhouse like that. You do what you need to do as we get older our skin gets really thin and I know it hurts, but I also know you love Milo have a great day. I am talk texting that’s why some of the words didn’t come out right, sorry
I remembered the water bottle idea last night. First time I sprayed him you should have seen his face! Shock. Confusion. Fear? 5 mins later, repeated range of emotions. Lingering confusion. 10 mins later, remembered it! Backed off before it " attacks" again. 10 mins later, slaps it! Again! This morning, no recognition when I reached for the bottle. But no need for it so far.
2 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

I’m glad. My daughters cat gets on counter, A BIG, NO NO I get the water bottle he’s down, he is learning not to do that. Didn’t take to long to learn, no longer doing that 😊
1 x

anniebelle

Gemsnob wrote:
3 years ago
Try not to play with him with your fingers. Don't wiggle them to get his attention. Only use a toy. If you have a string, pull that around for him but DO NOT leave string out for him. Don't want him to eat it. There are cat toys attached to a plastic stick or rod. You can also tie toys or feathers attached to string on chairs or doorknobs for Milo. The more choices, the better. Also, cats like paper bags and boxes. You can set them out so he can entertain himself. If you offer treats, try hiding a couple in places so he can use his nose. Years ago, my husband was at a friend's house. The neighbors came home and found a box of tiny kittens in their garbage. Hubby brought one home. The vet thought he was only 3 to 4 weeks old. As this cat grew up, his play was more aggressive than our other cats. We tried to keep him entertained. He especially got aggressive if he saw fingers or toes moving under the covers of our bed. I would do what Gypsy suggested and tap on nose or top of head with a firm "no" and put him down. He's a baby so you have to teach him. Good luck!
My goodness, does he have toys! All kinds, all over the place. And cardboard boxes and paper bags, compliments of SLC orders. Likes to unpack the boxes, crawl inside the padded bags. Pens, spoons, small SLC ring boxes, ribbons, empty medicine bottles. Two toys with the stick, with or without me. Rustling tunnel thingy. Balls, catnip mousies. Those cardboard things for scratching. And, of course Mommy's toys!
2 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 3 years ago

@anniebelle

You've watched kittens play with each other, they get aggressive and play fight, its thier nature. If you need to wear long sleeves for a bit, do that.
Milo is playing !!! The paper and plastic bags are good, and Gem Snob is right...dont wiggle fingers or hands to get his attention.

One other reason for the aggression...Milo is a MALE he needs to be neutered. The sooner the better !! Sorry Milo 🙀🙀 - Gypsy
4 x