Can someone....

Post by Jace » 3 years ago

Tell me about Mystic Topaz..

Seems to be new?
2 x

anniebelle

Re: Can someone....

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Not new. Not natural. White topaz receives a special treatment, only on the surface I believe. Comes in a variety of colors.
4 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@Jace

Mystic topaz has been around for many years. They take a natural gemstone (clear topaz) and use a technique called CVD-Chemical Vapors Disposition- that bonds a thin layer of titanium to the stone. Because of the way it is treated you need to be very careful to not scratch the stone and it should only be cleaned with very mild cleaning solutions. As an interesting note because there is so much call for clear topaz for use in this process that there is something of a shortage of clear topaz and so the price has gone up. Also note that mystic topaz and mystic quartz are not the same thing. Topaz is more valuable and an 8 on the Mohs scale. Quartz is less valuable and a 7 on the Mohs and so more easily scratched which is not a good thing with this coating. Bottom line-don't pay mystic topaz prices for mystic quartz. But I think both are beautiful to look at!!
9 x

Jace

T Y, JQ, for that precise explanation.

In appearance, does it " look" "cheap"? Because of the process done?
2 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@Jace

No you can't tell, and wouldn't know it is coated and not a totally natural gemstone, if someone didn't tell you. There are different colors, from an orange yellow to a blue green to my favorite- which is blue, green and purple and reminds me of peacock colors. The only one I think looks cheap is the aurora borealis which reminds me of the old cheap rhinestones.
7 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 3 years ago

@Jace I own a few rings in mystic topaz and a bracelet, I love them and have had mine a few years now and I never had a problem with the color scratching off. When I wash them I use a tooth brush and dawn dish soap.
7 x

Jace

Well, I "took the plunge"...and went ahead with getting the Mystic Topaz ring..I "debated with myself" about...

So, "we shall see, what we shall see..."
2 x

anniebelle

Jace wrote:
3 years ago
Well, I "took the plunge"...and went ahead with getting the Mystic Topaz ring..I "debated with myself" about...

So, "we shall see, what we shall see..."
Good for you! Don't think you'll regret it.
1 x

Jace

A: Hope not...I'm somewhat conservative...& Not too ostentatious!
1 x

anniebelle

Jace wrote:
3 years ago
A: Hope not...I'm somewhat conservative...& Not too ostentatious!
Which one did you order?
1 x